Author Topic: My Posters on Heritage Auctions (43 pieces) & My Heritage Experience  (Read 8535 times)

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
Hey folks,
The punches keep coming, so I’m in the process of getting out of the hobby. Without getting into details, I’ll just say that I’m keeping to the motto I do my best to live by, “family first, above all else.”

I have forty three posters up for auction on Heritage’s weekly internet auction this week (Aug. 13th-19th). There are a handful of stars in there, and a bunch of great paper overall. If you have any questions about any individual posters please pm me and I’ll get back to you as quickly as I can.

Thanks for your interest, Chris

(CLICK ON TITLE OR IMAGE FOR LINK TO ITEM)

2001: A Space Odyssey (Hungarian, A1, Linen)

-

Blade Runner (one sheet, folded)

-

It Follows (one sheet, rolled, festival style)

-

Rosemary's Baby (Polish, rolled)

-

Suspiria (Italy, 2 Fogli)

-

Predator (one sheet, folded, alt. style)

-

Psycho / The Birds (Czech, rolled, A3)

Nightmare on Elm Street (Thai, rolled, 21.5x31")

-

Westworld (Japan, rolled, B2)

-

Stand By Me (one sheet, folded, alt. no 'cherry pez quote' stlyle)

-

Blue Velvet (Italy, 2 Fogli)

-

Breakfast Club (one sheet, rolled)

-

Brides of Dracula (France, grande)

-

Funny Games (one sheet, rolled)

Psycho (one sheet, folded, '65)

-

Halloween II (one sheet, rolled)

-

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Japan, rolled, B2, Sally style)

-

Drive (Italy, 2 Fogil, Cannes style)

-

Fargo (one sheet, rolled, cross stitch style)

-

Eyes Without A Face (France, grande)

-

Plains, Trains, and Automobiles (one sheet, rolled)

Rosemary's Baby (one sheet, folded, upside-down cross style)

-

Shock Waves (one sheet, folded)

-

Critters (Poland, rolled)

-

Django Unchained (one sheet, rolled, Bass style)

-

Creepshow 2 (Australia, daybill, folded)

-

One Crazy Summer (one sheet, rolled)

-

Piranha (one sheet, folded)

Gummo (France, grande)

-

Critters (France, grande)

-

Rosemary's Baby (U.S., rolled banner, 24x82.25")

-

Re-Animator (France, grande,)

-

The Shining (Australia, daybill, rolled)

-

Star Wars: TFA (Intn'l, rolled, adv. style B)

-

Walkabout (one sheet, folded)

Re-Animator (Japan, rolled, B2)

-

Rosemary's Baby (Belgium, rolled, 14x21", mis-print missing blue ink)

-

Halloween (one sheet, rolled)

-

Friday the 13th III (one sheet, rolled)

-

Lost Boys (one sheet, rolled)

-

Clue (one sheet, rolled)

-

Hellraiser II (one sheet, rolled)

-

Twins of Evil (France, grande)

Thanks again for your interest!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 11:38:58 AM by erik1925 »

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: My Posters on Heritage Auctions (43 pieces)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 09:13:36 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Chris...I hope all is ok with you and family and your posters sell for loads of money. All the best.

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 09:20:32 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Chris...I hope all is ok with you and family and your posters sell for loads of money. All the best.

Thanks, Tob.... Appreciate it, buddy.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 12:22:37 PM »
Great selection there.  Some truly awesome posters.  Good luck with the sale.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 01:08:58 PM »
Sorry your getting out of the hobby, Chris, and here's hoping all goes well on your end.

And best of luck with the poster sales, too. Im sure it's a bit hard to let them go like that.

-Jeff

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 08:28:05 PM »

Thanks T. , and Jeff.

A few of my favorites in there for sure... I'd be lying if I said it wasn't hard letting them go, but I'm trying to stay on the positive side and look at it that I'm fortunate enough to have something to help out when I need it.

Thank you both for all your help in my short time here. T., I'm still dropping by that site of yours almost weekly to go down the rabbit hole... keep it up buddy.

Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 09:41:38 PM »
If I remember correctly, I bought my Italian Suspiria at Bruce's auction a few weeks ago after seeing it on one of your posts.  I wish I had waited so the money would go to you.  Hopefully it will do as well or more than it did at Bruce's.  I bought it for like $500+ or something, which is a high I think.  Good luck, and going out of the hobby doesn't mean you can't visit from time to time and share you expertise.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 03:54:42 PM »
Thanks, T.

If I remember correctly, after I posted mine, you said something to the effect of, "I need it." You didn't waist any time  :)

Glad you were able to grab one. I had thoughts of sending that one to Bruce since it's been going so high there, but thought I'd take a chance. It's been fairly stagnant so far.. hoping it pulls through in the end.

If I remember correctly, I bought my Italian Suspiria at Bruce's auction a few weeks ago after seeing it on one of your posts.  I wish I had waited so the money would go to you.  Hopefully it will do as well or more than it did at Bruce's.  I bought it for like $500+ or something, which is a high I think.  Good luck, and going out of the hobby doesn't mean you can't visit from time to time and share you expertise.

T

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 10:16:47 AM »

Just a bump... these end tonight over at Heritage.

Thanks again for your interest.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 12:00:00 AM »
Looks like I overspent on my Suspiria (or someone got a bargain).  I hate overspending.  Hope you're happy with the results regardless.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 03:34:55 PM »

I lost my ass on a bunch of posters. I was very disappointed with Heritage as a whole during this consignment process.

I'm going to vent for a second...

They lost that Suspiria for about three days telling me that I never sent it, then all of sudden it appeared in my list of consigned items. They found it packed between the cardboard it was sent in, and didn't bother to email me and let me know.

A ton of the photos they took were for my posters (and other consignors) were very bright and washed out, not at all how they naturally display. When I touched base with them, I was told that "we don't do individual color correction." After I insisted that this wasn't me nitpicking that the reds weren't red enough and that the levels were way off, they conceded.

Grey, as most know, is the manager of the poster department has been short and snarky in my inquiries and replies.

All-in-all, it was an overall bad experience compounded by less than stellar returns on most all of my consignments.  I'm guessing they run a tight ship most of the time, but this time around was nothing less than disappointing.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 04:06:27 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  I've always had a good relationship with Grey, but then again, I don't sell.  It goes back to what I was saying somewhere else, I think selling in August is bad.  People are on vacation.  Traveling.  At the beach.  In short, away from home.  I didn't even look at the auction because I spent too much time trying to connect to Emovie in the morning and I decided not to bother with HA, even though there were things I wanted.  My kids come first.

Let me ask you a question, though, because I've never sold anything, so I honestly don't know.  You sold your Suspiria for $240 (!!!).  They take $40.  Do you pocked the $200 or do they charge more?

Maybe next time you should try Emovie just to see the difference.

T
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 04:07:51 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 04:20:55 PM »
Chris, sorry to hear about your less than great experience with them. I hope the results won't cut too deep.

I know when Gary Firuta decided to sell his entire James Bond collection in 2016 he went with Heritage because he wanted an auction house that would take everything and not cherry-pick his collection. He had a massive accumulation of books, toys, and of course posters. Heritage traveled to him with a truck and took it all which amounted to 35 large boxes. All the prime valuable items went up first (1st editions, original page proofs, Thunderball advance quad, Goldfinger style B hand quad, Thunderball rolled jet pack subway 2-sheet, etc.) After the first offering, Heritage started dragging their feet with his material to the point where Gary traveled to Dallas and had a meeting with them, asking what was going on and why were the offering his material at such a snail's pace. They started offering more of it but Gary feels it's still not going fast enough. Maybe Heritage doesn't want to flood the market but I know for a fact that Heritage could mount an all Bond sale with Gary's remaining material and still have plenty left over. Gary won't say it, but I get the feeling he regrets going with them.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 05:01:24 PM »
It's terrible to say - but it may be sadly accurate - when you're getting consignments for $50,000, $100,000 & $500,000 individual posters in the Major auctions one could see how a consignor with a couple thousand in total falls down the priority list quickly...
Chris

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 05:43:39 PM »
T. - They turned my posters around really quick. They received them at the end of July. I thought for sure it'd be late September or October before they saw the light of day. I was aiming to get them auctioned off after summer, but before Christmas. I don't fault them for turning them around quick, but it was another aspect of this lot that didn't play out as well as I'd hoped for.

As for the Suspiria I took a big bite... Here's the breakdown. $240, minus buyers premium ($200), minus 25% of sale less premium ($50) = Take home ($150)

Cabmangray - Sorry to hear about your pal's experience. I hope he's able to get what he hopes to from them... I wonder with a consignment that extensive if he would have had the option to draw up some sort of formal agreement with how the pieces were to be auctioned?

CSM - I was never lost on your point. I realized during the process that I wasn't sending in five figure posters, but had hoped that wouldn't mattered in receiving some basic customer service. I'm not a needy guy either, but I felt like if I didn't babysit the issues I had they'd never get taken care of.

Sorry to hear that.  I've always had a good relationship with Grey, but then again, I don't sell.  It goes back to what I was saying somewhere else, I think selling in August is bad.  People are on vacation.  Traveling.  At the beach.  In short, away from home.  I didn't even look at the auction because I spent too much time trying to connect to Emovie in the morning and I decided not to bother with HA, even though there were things I wanted.  My kids come first.

Let me ask you a question, though, because I've never sold anything, so I honestly don't know.  You sold your Suspiria for $240 (!!!).  They take $40.  Do you pocked the $200 or do they charge more?

Maybe next time you should try Emovie just to see the difference.

T

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 05:45:51 PM »
All-in-all, it was an overall bad experience compounded by less than stellar returns on most all of my consignments.  I'm guessing they run a tight ship most of the time, but this time around was nothing less than disappointing.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck, I just looked up the first two items you listed (2001 and Blade Runner) and they appeared to do quite well vs historical prices (2001 last one Bruce had was $350 vs the $600 you just got at Heritage, and the BR at $200-300 for the studio style vs the $430 yours brought).  Suspiria is an interesting one, as the two previous copies Bruce sold this year both went in the $350 range, so yours was a slight disappointment vs that, and then compared to the one Bruce just got an anomaly price for makes it look even worse.

Picking a couple of other randoms while I am typing this - Rosemary's Baby, withdrawn (hope everything is ok with that), Predator $74 vs the exact same price EMP got for their last one, Breakfast Club $126 vs $38 and $35 for ones EMP sold last month, Westworld $120 vs $49-126 at EMP, Stand By Me $216 vs $74 EMP got for their last one. Not going to look more up as I am sure they can't all be winners, but as I'm sure you know you take any group and some will go over average, some will go under and some will be just average.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 06:33:44 PM »
The Blade Runner did well, as did others, and some did not. I knew how auctions worked before I sent them.

As I mentioned it was the experience as a whole that I was disappointed with.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck, I just looked up the first two items you listed (2001 and Blade Runner) and they appeared to do quite well vs historical prices (2001 last one Bruce had was $350 vs the $600 you just got at Heritage, and the BR at $200-300 for the studio style vs the $430 yours brought).  Suspiria is an interesting one, as the two previous copies Bruce sold this year both went in the $350 range, so yours was a slight disappointment vs that, and then compared to the one Bruce just got an anomaly price for makes it look even worse.

Picking a couple of other randoms while I am typing this - Rosemary's Baby, withdrawn (hope everything is ok with that), Predator $74 vs the exact same price EMP got for their last one, Breakfast Club $126 vs $38 and $35 for ones EMP sold last month, Westworld $120 vs $49-126 at EMP, Stand By Me $216 vs $74 EMP got for their last one. Not going to look more up as I am sure they can't all be winners, but as I'm sure you know you take any group and some will go over average, some will go under and some will be just average.

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 07:44:31 PM »
Chris, I didn't ask since it's none of my business but I would think for a collection of that size something must have been put in writing.

Gary collected for decades and as a dyed-in-the-wool OO7 fan, he bought whatever he could find, even if he already had it. He had over 700 copies of the Fleming / Amis / Gardner books in every language and configuration you can think of. His mindset was if the book was about Fleming / Bond / the films, even if it was a marginal mention, he bought it. Same thing with the posters. American, British, Swahili, it didn't matter. If he could afford it, and he usually could, he bought it. When he retired in 2016 and wanted to move, the thought of bringing all that with him was too much. Plus his job didn't offer a 401K or decent retirement package so the Bond collection was his nest egg. He wanted to get as much from it as possible and I don't blame him. I know that the first Heritage offering in 2016 was totally satisfactory with him since it was the cream of his collection. Later on, when Heritage slowed the flow from his collection he got a bit antsy.

Originally he said he didn't want to send the posters to one auction house and the books to another. He wanted it all gone in one shot. He didn't want someone from one auction house to look at the collection, take all the first editions, original page proofs and scripts and leave the paperbacks and foreign editions. I can't blame him there. The posters would have been easier. Had he sent them to Bruce, most if not all of them would have been sold by now. How much of a profit he would have realized is unknown but Bruce could easily have had a huge auction of just Gary's material alone.

As it stands today, Heritage has it all and is slowly offering it up. I'm sure they are mixing it in with other Bond material they receive. 

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 07:53:22 PM »
As for the Suspiria I took a big bite... Here's the breakdown. $240, minus buyers premium ($200), minus 25% of sale less premium ($50) = Take home ($150)

Wow, so for an item that sold for $240, you get $150 and they get $90?  That's 37.5% for them?  Way more than the 28% Bruce charges.

A little crazy.

T
My Personal Collection

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 09:19:40 PM »
Wow, so for an item that sold for $240, you get $150 and they get $90?  That's 37.5% for them?  Way more than the 28% Bruce charges.

You definitely pay a premium with HA to have access to their customers and their advertising (they easily do more advertising then all other dealers combined - which is easy, since many do none). Then the idea is to hit a home run (like T always says - stuff in their weeklies goes for way more than it's worth).
If it's ultimately worth it, is something each consignor has to decide based on their collection and expectations.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2018, 10:08:31 PM »
You definitely pay a premium with HA to have access to their customers and their advertising (they easily do more advertising then all other dealers combined - which is easy, since many do none). Then the idea is to hit a home run (like T always says - stuff in their weeklies goes for way more than it's worth).
If it's ultimately worth it, is something each consignor has to decide based on their collection and expectations.

I still think August is the main culprit here.

T
My Personal Collection

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 02:29:01 AM »
I still think August is the main culprit here.

Just saw that his French 1-panel for Eyes Without A Face sold for over $400, vs the last six copies EMP sold averaged under $150 each.
So I guess all the Suspiria people were on vacation and all the Eyes people were back watching HA.   :D
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 03:00:09 AM »
Bravo!!!!  notworthy.gif

You win.

T
My Personal Collection

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 11:10:40 AM »
Bravo!!!!  notworthy.gif
You win.

You mean your theory that prices are lower across the board based upon a singular example of a poster appearing at auction for the 4th time this year and you personally being on vacation might not hold water?  faint2.gif
Well done sir.
Any other softballs you have to lob?  ;)
www.Kaijuposters.com