Author Topic: Oscar salvation! Academy Sets 3-Hour Broadcast & Adds Popular Film Category  (Read 3109 times)

guest4955

I know I've missed a lot of great/worthy films, but I've seen fewer than 10% of nominated Best Picture nominees.

And I'm probably typical.

So it's a great decision IMO.

guest4955

guest4955

Ha, just talking to myself AGAIN!

20 views, no replies.

Reddit movies has 20 million subscribers so we all should just head over there for movie chat.... 8)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
I think the Popular Films category is a great idea.  It’s insane to think that Shape of Water was the biggest hit last year among 9 nominees.  The Academy needed to somehow represent the movies people actually pay money to watch, not the ones no one cares about except cinephiles and critics.  It’s a lot more work to make a Wonder Woman than a Three Billboards, and I’m sure the 1000s it takes to create a good popcorn flick would love to be in contention.  Since voters will never acknowledge popular flicks, save for a James Cameron movie, forcing them to vote was the smart decision.  I’m a minority though.  Elitist voters all hate the idea ;).

There is a big caveat though.  How do you decide what makes a popular movie?  What if a popular movie by design flops?  Is it still popular?

T

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)