Author Topic: Aug 2018  (Read 15072 times)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
Re: August 2018
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2018, 03:01:16 AM »
Great Jones, Test!  It just might be better than the movie, eh?!   Okie

Lol, yeah I hear you mate, I appreciate it's not everyone's favourite in the Indiana Jones series, personally I don't mind it myself, I can watch all three movies in the original trilogy quite easily, at least Temple of Doom is 100 times better than Crystal Skull ;)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Aug 2018
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 03:15:00 AM »
Love Temple of Doom.  I saw it as a child and it remains one of my favorite 80s flicks.  N2 after Raiders.  So much fun.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 03:29:32 AM »
Love Temple of Doom.  I saw it as a child and it remains one of my favorite 80s flicks.  N2 after Raiders.  So much fun.

T

This^

That pretty much sums up my memories of Temple of Doom, as I said I like all three of the original trilogy, but, I have to say that when I was little Temple of Doom was the one I must have seen the most times, I remember watching it many times along with films like The Goonies and Back to the Future and other stuff like that.

Offline Desk

• Beginner
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 02:25:36 PM »
as concerns the Star Trek poster and why it is wavy

clearly, it has absorbed moisture and is warped in that area. The only way to fix that is by linenbacking the poster
I respect that assessment, but have to say that I don't see how it's possible.

When I received the poster I unrolled it and it didn't display any sign of warping. Instead, this phenomenon was apparent from the moment it was framed - so I'm not sure it would have had any opportunity to absorb moisture.

Desk

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 04:49:12 PM »
I respect that assessment, but have to say that I don't see how it's possible.

When I received the poster I unrolled it and it didn't display any sign of warping. Instead, this phenomenon was apparent from the moment it was framed - so I'm not sure it would have had any opportunity to absorb moisture.

Desk

where was it displayed?
the poster could have absorbed environmental moisture. But it is definitely a sign of moisture for that poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2018, 05:07:32 PM »
where was it displayed?
the poster could have absorbed environmental moisture. But it is definitely a sign of moisture for that poster

Not necessarily...

Well said here:

I have about 45 or so HPF frames, so I'm a big HPF fan.

I normally use one clip at the top center.  You'll notice that the clips often create unsightly "compression waves," which become worse over time, so I use them sparingly.

Really, at this point I've been spoiled by mylar and linen-backed posters and art prints, which look perfect framed.

This can also happen with wood frames and points, when the points are too strongly pressed against the backing board.  Also, as has been mentioned, when the frame is too small, and/or when the frame is hung with a wire across the back - that can exert pressure on the sides of the frame.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: August 2018
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 02:37:41 PM »
Hey! Jeff,

Yes, the artist's signature is just underneath the guy with the horns.

John

Thanks, John. cheers

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2018, 04:45:59 AM »
while not the poster, I'm sure this recent addition to my collection  will be interesting to lots of folks around these parts

for the 1966 movie, not a tv episode

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2018, 04:19:12 PM »
while not the poster, I'm sure this recent addition to my collection  will be interesting to lots of folks around these parts

for the 1966 movie, not a tv episode

Nice going, Richie!  Ah, Lee Meriwether as Catwoman was my favorite.  Can you bring to OAF?  I'd enjoy looking through it.  Okie

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2018, 04:40:01 PM »
Nice going, Richie!  Ah, Lee Meriwether as Catwoman was my favorite.  Can you bring to OAF?  I'd enjoy looking through it.  Okie

thanks pal.

sadly I already will have too much to bring and when you fly, that isn't much. I actually will be shipping 5 or more boxes ahead of the trip. Maybe 10 boxes. I hope I can sell it out at the show maybe, so I don't have to ship any back!

-------

Offline gregforno

• Beginner
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2018, 02:26:56 AM »
Hey everyone,

New member from Australia posting for first time. Don't have biggest collection but have a big level for Movies and especially the large vinyl banners. Have just recently done a home renovation to have a home cinema so have just started to put some on display to give a cinema feel, I'm big sci fi fan so most of the posters I have in this genre.

Loving the posts though, always great to see what else is around in the collecting world.

Greg

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2018, 12:39:15 PM »
Hey everyone,

New member from Australia posting for first time. Don't have biggest collection but have a big level for Movies and especially the large vinyl banners. Have just recently done a home renovation to have a home cinema so have just started to put some on display to give a cinema feel, I'm big sci fi fan so most of the posters I have in this genre.

Loving the posts though, always great to see what else is around in the collecting world.

Greg

Wow, Greg!  Looks like you are giving your theatre visitors thrills right when they walk in the door.  Very cool to see your display, and welcome!  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2018, 12:52:33 PM »
Looking good there, Greg.

And  welcome1 to the forum. Enjoy it.

Happy to have you, too.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2018, 04:32:46 PM »
Spanish poster for BEYOND THE DOOR (1974), with Juliet Mills.

The creepy art is by Jano.

It was made to piggyback off the success of THE EXORCIST. Due to plot similarities, Warner Bros sued and won, receiving a cash settlement and a % of the movie's future profits.

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 02:47:33 AM »
Spanish poster for BEYOND THE DOOR (1974), with Juliet Mills.

The creepy art is by Jano.

It was made to piggyback off the success of THE EXORCIST. Due to plot similarities, Warner Bros sued and won, receiving a cash settlement and a % of the movie's future profits.

Interesting poster for sure there Jeff thumbsup.gif must be honest never heard of the film before though, I assume you've watched the film? or did you just like the poster?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2018, 02:52:20 AM »
I saw the movie... but a long time ago... pretty mediocre, to be honest. But there are a number of other cool posters that were done for the movie, so when I tripped across this one, I decided to snag it.

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2018, 02:57:25 AM »
I saw the movie... but a long time ago... pretty mediocre, to be honest. But there are a number of other cool posters that were done for the movie, so when I tripped across this one, I decided to snag it.

Fair enough Jeff, the poster certainly has something about it for sure and your 100% right about it having a creepy vibe about it.

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2018, 11:01:24 AM »
A couple acquisitions for me this month.

This Indian Jaws three sheet is quite rare. I don't see it in either the Heritage or EMP archives. Thiery has the only other example that I can find.

I love the artwork on this World Without Sun three sheet.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:07:21 AM by eric160634 »

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2018, 12:29:00 PM »
Hi Eric160634,  That's a crazy, fun Jaws poster from India! I really like how the top art looks like they were really trying to make it look more local.  Message: Jaws is everywhere!

Okie
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:46:46 PM by okiehawker »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2018, 12:35:55 PM »
Cool looking JAWS poster there, eric Congrats on snagging both of these posters.  thumbsup.gif

Just curious about the JAWS poster. At the bottom section, with all the credits, is that a large, white snipe that has been attached to the poster? Or are the credits printed?

Reason I ask is that it looks like it slightly overlaps or is against the bottom edge of the row of photos.

And if it is an added snipe, I wonder what the original printed title and text look like?

-Jeff

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2018, 02:42:59 PM »
Cool looking JAWS poster there, eric Congrats on snagging both of these posters.  thumbsup.gif

Just curious about the JAWS poster. At the bottom section, with all the credits, is that a large, white snipe that has been attached to the poster? Or are the credits printed?

Reason I ask is that it looks like it slightly overlaps or is against the bottom edge of the row of photos.

And if it is an added snipe, I wonder what the original printed title and text look like?

I think it is more an awkwardly designed section rather than a snipe. It is almost as if one person did the top two thirds of the poster and someone else did the credits without having seen the top section.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2018, 03:06:36 PM »

I think it is more an awkwardly designed section rather than a snipe. It is almost as if one person did the top two thirds of the poster and someone else did the credits without having seen the top section.

Thanks for the info, eric.

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »
It's cool to see this poster again.  I haven't seen mine in 10 years (it's buried in a flat file) and I haven't seen another one for sale ever since.  If I had seen yours, I would have probably given you a run for it, because I like to own two of the rare ones.  I'm also happy to see that what I considered defects on mine are also on yours (I checked my picture).  Those white spots on the side are printing defects, I guess,  Nice one!!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2018, 04:05:55 PM »
It's cool to see this poster again.  I haven't seen mine in 10 years (it's buried in a flat file) and I haven't seen another one for sale ever since.  If I had seen yours, I would have probably given you a run for it, because I like to own two of the rare ones.  I'm also happy to see that what I considered defects on mine are also on yours (I checked my picture).  Those white spots on the side are printing defects, I guess,  Nice one!!!

T

Thanks T. I was worried you would get involved in the bidding;D I gambled on this one buying from a brand new eBay seller from India with 0 feedback but I felt it was worth the risk to get something this rare. It was a big relief when the package arrived and was in the expected condition.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2018, 03:26:21 AM »
@eric160634

Have to fully agree with other comments on your JAWS poster, very nice find, certainly one of the best/unique posters I've seen for the film, congrats notworthy.gif