Author Topic: 10.5x14 Don't Get Hooked! The Drug Pusher Will Squeeze You for Every Dime! 1929.  (Read 6853 times)

Offline Blood_Visions

• Beginner
https://imgur.com/a/tLKBq7Q

Recently acquired this poster and was wondering if anyone could find information. It's a 10.5 x 14 and says The Citizen's Crime Cleanup Committee, October 15, 1929. At the bottom right it says Copyright Key Publishing Co. So far I've had no luck finding a Citizen's Crime Cleanup Committee or a Key Publishing Company from around the time the poster is dated.

Any help or information would be highly appreciated.  thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 01:58:56 PM by Blood_Visions »

Offline Blood_Visions

• Beginner
Indeed it is :) the question of if it's real or not got my curiosity going and I was hoping to find out something, if anything.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
I did a quick Google search too, and have come up empty so far, too, on either the publisher, or the CCCC that put out the poster. Maybe Key Publishing was some small, local printer, in whatever city it was located in.

Its a cool looking poster, gotta say. Will you have it cleaned and restored at all?

And is anything printed or written on the back?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 02:34:40 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Blood_Visions

• Beginner
I'll probably look into restoration, I'm honestly not super familiar with the process other then what I've read. It's pretty fragile. I can post a picture I took of the back, nothing written no.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
I'll probably look into restoration, I'm honestly not super familiar with the process other then what I've read. It's pretty fragile. I can post a picture I took of the back, nothing written no.

I bet it will look amazing when those water stains are removed and its given a nice, gentle bleach/de-acidification bath. And with it being that smaller size, having the work done wont break the bank, either.

But whatever you do, DON'T send it to Posterfix...   uhno   nono

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Indeed it is :) the question of if it's real or not got my curiosity going and I was hoping to find out something, if anything.

Looks real to me.  Does it  pass the old paper sniff test?  Okie

Offline Blood_Visions

• Beginner
Oh I wouldn't dream of using any restoration I didn't properly vet. I think it's going to look fantastic too, heck I like looking at it as is but can't wait to see it restored. Would you think it needs linen backing? Just curious on opinion. It's highly possible I'll have it professionally framed at some point in the future, after restoration, because I enjoy it so much.

And it sure smells like old paper to me.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Oh I wouldn't dream of using any restoration I didn't properly vet. I think it's going to look fantastic too, heck I like looking at it as is but can't wait to see it restored. Would you think it needs linen backing? Just curious on opinion. It's highly possible I'll have it professionally framed at some point in the future, after restoration, because I enjoy it so much.

And it sure smells like old paper to me.

My recommendation is send to Mario Cueva of Lumiere Poster Restoration and have him linen back and restore.  Okie
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 12:07:42 AM by okiehawker »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
My recommendation is send to Mario Cueva of Lumiere Poster Restoration and have him linen back and restore.  Okie

+1

Great choice.

Others could include Poster Mountain, Dan Miles of Backing to the Future, Studio C or 4th Cone.

But your piece looks like a good candidate, as the paper looks brittle. is flaking and tearing along the edges and has those water marks and other dirt embedded into the paper fibers.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:04:36 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Blood_Visions

• Beginner
Thanks so much for all the recommendations and help. I sent out a couple feelers but I'm curious what's a rough idea on how much linen backing and restoration would cost on something around this size?

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Thanks so much for all the recommendations and help. I sent out a couple feelers but I'm curious what's a rough idea on how much linen backing and restoration would cost on something around this size?

Hi BV, I've not had something this smaller size backed/restored before.  I would guess $100-150. Okie

Offline Blood_Visions

• Beginner
Did a bit more digging and found this: https://www.ebth.com/items/1403513-1950s-anti-drug-organized-crime-poster

now I'm really stumped.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Great find, with that other version using yellow and blue.

And with that auction describing the poster as from 1950's, maybe the Oct 15, 1929 date is when the CCCC first made the warning statement that is printed on the poster ("Don’t get hooked! The drug pusher will SQUEEZE you for every dime you can BEG-BORROW OR STEAL").

-Jeff

Offline Blood_Visions

• Beginner
I wonder how they determined it's from the 1950's and not 1929? The site has a 1 star yelp review out of 109 ratings so I'm honestly not sure how reputable the source is.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:13:44 PM by Blood_Visions »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Possibly because of how the date is written, with that small dash in front of October, as is sometimes done when specifying when a comment or quote was made.

What's also interesting is how your version was done in only blue, and the one sold was done with yellow, too.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:17:31 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Blood_Visions

• Beginner
Debating contacting them and asking how it was decided, but its been such a long time and which such negative reviews I'm not sure it'll be of any help.

It is interesting the differences, it makes me even more curious to find out. I guess it's pretty hard to exactly date a poster like this without a bunch of research and documentation isn't it?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
It looks like that site (ebth.com) is a marketplace of sorts, where people send stuff to be sold, so chances are that information about the year of the poster was given to them by the original seller/consignor.

-Jeff

Offline Blood_Visions

• Beginner
I assumed so but then I read some of the Yelp reviews and I got the vibe they changed descriptions to fit what they wanted, that was one, among many complaints that showed up with some frequency.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
The poster cerainly could be from the 1950s, as the original seller offered to that estate selling site, or that info could also be wrong.

Gotta get in there and do a little  Spying.gif sherlockholmes.gif youself and see what you can find, if anything.

-Jeff

Offline Blood_Visions

• Beginner
I am don't worry :) I love a good mystery. I'll post any updates if I can find anything out.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
One last question about your copy. Is the paper it's printed on more like a kind of card stock or thicker paper? Or more like regular thickness paper?

Reason I ask, is the pics made me think it was printed on a slightly thicker kind.

-Jeff

Offline Blood_Visions

• Beginner
I found another poster with the exact same publishing mark after a bit of digging on my work break! https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/31735663_mexican-revolution-recruitment-poster-january-1915

I haven't really even touched the poster to be honest, I will look at it more when I get home but it's pretty papery and fragile and I don't wanna damage it I haven't attempted to move it from two pieces of carefully placed cardboard.

*EDIT* Via finding another copy of the Pancho Villa poster I was able to determine Key Publishing Co. was possibly in El Paso, Texas: https://www.abebooks.com/paper-collectibles/Pancho-Villa-Recruiting-Broadside-Key-Publishing/22448430067/bd
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:15:14 PM by Blood_Visions »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
With El Paso is literally across the Rio Grande from Juarez, MX, it makes sense that these were posted around in El Paso.

My aunt and uncle used to live in El Paso. And I remember we could stand in their backyard, and look across to Juarez. The river there as very narrow, and I remember seeing the small, corrugated metal-roofed homes that were not all that far away.

-Jeff

Offline Blood_Visions

• Beginner
I found one more that appears to be by the same company but I can't find a large/high enough quality picture to confirm.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-nude-suggestive-poster-dr-288282914

I have to go back into work for awhile now gonna continue the hunt when I get home!