Author Topic: July 2018  (Read 14082 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: July 2018
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2018, 03:40:16 AM »
Not that I have made a special effort at all, but I haven't seen that Abyss poster before...

Thought they were all of the same design, the tail of the Y descending into an abyss.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Rare poster that I got it
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2018, 12:20:35 PM »
Nice add, Pea.

Is this the first copy you have ever come across or had before? And when you mention 100 copies, is that the number of copies that were printed totally? Or the number that still exist?

Interesting how Tongdee was very spot on with his likenesses of Lloyd, Thompson and Glover but was a bit off the mark with Fox's face/eyes.

Maybe Fox's 2nd cousin played the Marty role in the Thai release of the movie..  ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:25:51 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2018, 04:06:59 PM »
Not that I have made a special effort at all, but I haven't seen that Abyss poster before...

Thought they were all of the same design, the tail of the Y descending into an abyss.

Thx uncommon and a flawed forgotten flick:

Occasionally picking up relative bargains on eBay, although I ONLY glance at most watched MPs there nowadays. $75 with two small tape stains:

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2018, 05:01:17 PM »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2018, 05:03:27 PM »
The Black Pirate (1926)
Hungarian

nice. I'm a big Fairbanks fan

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2018, 05:42:34 PM »
Thanks Rich, was really pleased to get it..
It's more than a Hobby...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2018, 06:41:19 PM »
Thanks Rich, was really pleased to get it..

anything on this title. I have an oversized photo of her outside the craft, with the kid and the cards.

I thought this might have been the centerfold to a uk [pressbook until I noticed it was a cover.. great stuff

-------

Offline Ghastly

• Beginner
    • The Haunted Cinema
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2018, 07:45:45 AM »
Managed to nab a poster that I've been hunting for awhile.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2018, 10:44:33 AM »
Hahaha I love this one.  Hilarious.  I need one.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2018, 05:45:36 PM »
Thx uncommon and a flawed forgotten flick:

Flawed??

Not at all.  I thought it was a perfect realising of an immense concept.

All the t-shirts stating, I Survived The Abyss, I am sure hold a special place in people's hearts.

I even loved the ending that seemed to rile some people.

I was actually then a 23 year old UK person, living and working in NY at the time of this release.  A very special film to see then.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2018, 06:41:26 PM »
I like both posters on this title

I see your name is Ghastley.. anything to do with Ghastley Graham Ingels?

Managed to nab a poster that I've been hunting for awhile.

-------

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2018, 07:37:23 AM »
Always loved that one, Ghastly... nice grab.

Paul..gorgeous Devil Girl...!

guest4955

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2018, 08:59:20 PM »
Yeah for me - 1932 and probably/possibly lone surviving original based on HA/EMP records:

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2018, 09:26:01 PM »
Yeah for me - 1932 and probably/possibly lone surviving original based on HA/EMP records:

Great choice, Sundance!  Okie
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:55:22 PM by erik1925 »

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2018, 07:47:05 PM »
Each of these has significance for varying reasons...

One, I loved watching Bugsy Malone on tv when I was a kid. So it's purely nostalgic for me. I could've pick up the US one sheet for like $10 on Ebay whenever, but I've been looking around for this Japanese poster (at a reasonable cost), for the past year or two.

The "Marvel 10 Years" is my first Marvel poster. I guess you could say I'm letting my son borrow it lol. I'm slowly getting him into posters and so we were looking around ebay and through my SW posters to see what he would want to put up on one of his other walls. We then accidentally came across this poster. However, it was priced right, so I picked up. Once it came, we then went to Target and bought a simple, $17 frame. Then when we got home, I took out the flimsy cardboard backing and he helped me cut a piece of my own acid-free backing to take it's place. (All this while trying to explain "acid-free" to him lol). In the end, sure, the frame size isn't exact, and I'm sure it's not completely centered, but who cares? He's 9, he certainly doesn't care, he loves it. It was a super fun project I got to share with my son. So that picture is our finished result on his wall.

As far as my Star Fall poster, I was also able to pick that one up also at a reasonable price and so I'm very happy to finally check that one off my list. Though SW is my definitive niche, I refuse to get caught up and be a part of the swelling of SW poster prices. In fact, I was watching HA over the weekend and I even bid on a couple of the SW posters. But once they passed (what I consider), fair market value, I passed on them.
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »
Michael, wow.. 3 awesome pick-ups. Congrats.

And your Starfall looks fantastic...AND in great condition, too. And one that you checked off your "need to get list," too.  thumbup

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2018, 08:13:59 PM »
As far as my Star Fall poster, I was also able to pick that one up also at a reasonable price and so I'm very happy to finally check that one off my list. Though SW is my definitive niche, I refuse to get caught up and be a part of the swelling of SW poster prices. In fact, I was watching HA over the weekend and I even bid on a couple of the SW posters. But once they passed (what I consider), fair market value, I passed on them.

Very smart man.  Always remember that it only takes two nuts to increase the price of a poster drastically.  The $26k achieved by the ESB GwtW poster is obviously not the real value of the poster.  The next time it goes for sale, it will probably sell for $7k-10k, which is already ridiculous.  One of the two nuts already spent his $26k, so now there is only one left, and I can’t imagine there would be a third one. 

I had a bunch of posters on my list at the last Sig auction.  I talked to a couple friends of mine and we all agreed I shouldn’t go above $2k per poster, no matter what.  Wise men.  They also agreed not to bid on my stuff.  Good guys.  One of the posters, the one I wanted most, sold for $3.2k but I did stop at $2k like I was told.  No regrets, it was the right decision.  Having a limit and sticking to it is the right thing to do on auction day.

T
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:25:52 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2018, 08:23:04 PM »
Each of these has significance for varying reasons...

One, I loved watching Bugsy Malone on tv when I was a kid. So it's purely nostalgic for me. I could've pick up the US one sheet for like $10 on Ebay whenever, but I've been looking around for this Japanese poster (at a reasonable cost), for the past year or two.

The "Marvel 10 Years" is my first Marvel poster. I guess you could say I'm letting my son borrow it lol. I'm slowly getting him into posters and so we were looking around ebay and through my SW posters to see what he would want to put up on one of his other walls. We then accidentally came across this poster. However, it was priced right, so I picked up. Once it came, we then went to Target and bought a simple, $17 frame. Then when we got home, I took out the flimsy cardboard backing and he helped me cut a piece of my own acid-free backing to take it's place. (All this while trying to explain "acid-free" to him lol). In the end, sure, the frame size isn't exact, and I'm sure it's not completely centered, but who cares? He's 9, he certainly doesn't care, he loves it. It was a super fun project I got to share with my son. So that picture is our finished result on his wall.

Michael,

Was your Starfall an auction house buy? eBay find? Friend buy?

In any case, congrats again, on picking this up.

-Jeff

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2018, 08:40:46 PM »
Very smart man.  Always remember that it only takes two nuts to increase the price of a poster drastically.  The $26k achieved by the ESB GwtW poster is obviously not the real value of the poster.  The next time it goes for sale, it will probably sell for $7k-10k, which is already ridiculous.  One of the nuts already spent his $26k, so now there is only one left, and I can’t imagine there would be a third one. 

I had a bunch of posters on my list at the last Sig auction.  I talked to a couple friends of mine and we all agreed I shouldn’t go above $2k per poster, no matter what.  Wise men.  They also agreed not to bid on my stuff.  Good guys.  One of the posters, the one I wanted most, sold for $3.2k but I did stop at $2k like I was told.  No regrets, it was the right decision.  Having a limit and sticking to it is the right thing to do on auction day.

T

Thank you, (and Jeff).  And I agree, some of those prices are completely absurd. Kudos to you for sticking with your budget.
In fact, I also set a limit on how much I was going to spend at HA this weekend. It was perfect to because the three posters I had my eye on from most wanted on down, also went that direction by lot number. Now grant it I could only afford 1 of them, but I'm still thinking to myself, I really hope that I can get one of these 3.
For example: poster 1, my max was $1,500; poster 2, my max was $1,400; poster 3, my max was, $1,100. So once poster 3 came around, I'm not saying to myself, "well, I have an extra $400 since I didn't get poster 1. No, F-that. Yes, of course I'm a little bummed out that I didn't pick up a poster, but I'm not overpaying "just because", or because I can.

I also picked up the "Yoda - Read". We've talked about this poster before and the all of the sudden crazy auction price. However, I was able to pick up at the more realistic price of $80. I found that on craigslist as well as the StarFall, and a couple cheap SW commercial posters.
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...