Author Topic: If you could do it all over again  (Read 20616 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: If you could do it all over again
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2018, 10:22:17 PM »
I have collected over the years in coins; comic books; original comic and illustration art; movie posters/memorabilia; paperback books; and various cool image ephemera.  Even with the lurid covers that I really like, paperback book collecting funds could have been better spent, especially in my early years of collecting.  But, who knew?!  I still have trouble passing up a cool paperback cover.  For movie posters, I've only bought images that I really like myself or thought I could use to trade with other collectors.  One exception in posters is I think I bought way too many movie posters in Thailand, though I really enjoyed the chase.  Okie

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2018, 11:11:16 PM »
If I could, when I had the store I would not have raided my personal collection because I couldn't find a desired piece another collector wanted. At one time I had some nice pieces (early OO7, DIRTY HARRY rolled 22x28 & 40x60, HELP rolled insert, etc.) and if I couldn't locate a particular piece at a price cheap enough to make a profit on, I would invariably take it from my personal stash, take one last look at it, and sell it to a grateful customer. Such is the burden of being both a dealer and collector.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2018, 11:18:10 PM »
If I could, when I had the store I would not have raided my personal collection because I couldn't find a desired piece another collector wanted. At one time I had some nice pieces (early OO7, DIRTY HARRY rolled 22x28 & 40x60, HELP rolled insert, etc.) and if I couldn't locate a particular piece at a price cheap enough to make a profit on, I would invariably take it from my personal stash, take one last look at it, and sell it to a grateful customer. Such is the burden of being both a dealer and collector.

So, are you saying you are the "everything has a price" Cabman, Cabman?  Okie

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2018, 11:11:33 AM »
Yes. Like it or not, we're not going to be buried with the posters we lovingly collected for years. We may have attachments to them, like good art, a particularly favorite movie, star, director, etc. but there comes a time when you may see a poster you paid $10 for selling for $125 or more and you might think "hmmm, what would I rather have, a piece of paper I can hang on the wall and look at, or some money in the bank".

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2018, 12:06:02 PM »
Yes. Like it or not, we're not going to be buried with the posters we lovingly collected for years. We may have attachments to them, like good art, a particularly favorite movie, star, director, etc. but there comes a time when you may see a poster you paid $10 for selling for $125 or more and you might think "hmmm, what would I rather have, a piece of paper I can hang on the wall and look at, or some money in the bank".

Just be sure to spend the $$ at some point, too, because you cant take that with you, either, to The Great Beyond. ;)

-Jeff

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2018, 06:24:49 PM »

I want my posters back... sent majority of collection to Emp... big mistake... regretting it so much.. but had to because of the circumstances...

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2018, 06:34:16 PM »
I want my posters back... sent majority of collection to Emp... big mistake... regretting it so much.. but had to because of the circumstances...

Sorry you had to sell, Big Mike.  I guess you can look at it as lucky you had something of value when you needed it, even though it sucks to have to sell.  Okie
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:09:02 PM by okiehawker »

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »
Big Mike, I know what you mean. But be glad that you had titles people wanted and paid for, and you had the money to use as you needed.

I know I regretted selling good titles from my collection because I knew it would take me a long time to find replacements in the same condition. Sometimes I couldn't and either didn't replace them at all or bought titles in as best condition as I could find. Being both a dealer and collector really sucks sometimes.

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2018, 07:54:05 PM »
I think I had pretty good taste for my budget, looking back on things.  Nothing that's gone up much in value, but I'm happy with what I've got.

I've always liked lobby cards, but the one buying choice I would do differently, is I would not buy single cards to try to cobble together a set.  Yes, it was kind of a "thrill of the hunt" thing that I went through, and you never knew if you'd see another card again in a certain condition...  But in hindsight, I have since seen all of these lobby cards sell as complete sets for way less than what I paid in total for my sets.  I can't complain too much, though.  Those were fun days, ordering a Vincent Price lobby card in "Excellent condition," and opening it up to find a decently NM card.  I used to dream of framing them all, but darned if I ever find the wall space.  I keep them nicely organized in albums, though, that are fun to flip through from time to time.

Like others, my biggest regret is selling some really awesome stuff that I haven't seen since (like a couple original color fotobustes from the original Italian release of the Claude Rains "Phantom of the Opera").  Made a small profit then, would've made a huge profit if I kept them today.  But I always had fun doing a bit of buying AND selling.  Could've done worse. 

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2018, 08:58:56 PM »
I think I had pretty good taste for my budget, looking back on things.  Nothing that's gone up much in value, but I'm happy with what I've got.

I've always liked lobby cards, but the one buying choice I would do differently, is I would not buy single cards to try to cobble together a set.  Yes, it was kind of a "thrill of the hunt" thing that I went through, and you never knew if you'd see another card again in a certain condition...  But in hindsight, I have since seen all of these lobby cards sell as complete sets for way less than what I paid in total for my sets.  I can't complain too much, though.  Those were fun days, ordering a Vincent Price lobby card in "Excellent condition," and opening it up to find a decently NM card.  I used to dream of framing them all, but darned if I ever find the wall space.  I keep them nicely organized in albums, though, that are fun to flip through from time to time.

Like others, my biggest regret is selling some really awesome stuff that I haven't seen since (like a couple original color fotobustes from the original Italian release of the Claude Rains "Phantom of the Opera").  Made a small profit then, would've made a huge profit if I kept them today.  But I always had fun doing a bit of buying AND selling.  Could've done worse.

Hi Stefano,  I think you make a really good point on single lobbies vs sets on price.  Also, some of the singles aren't very good images.  Do you still have images of those Phantom photobustas you had?  Okie

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2018, 03:03:46 PM »

i've known people who, having sold their record collection, describe the aftermath as if they were going through a mourning
sounds like you are going through something similar

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2018, 07:45:16 PM »
Hey everyone. It's been awhile and I hope you're all well and that things are great for all of you that celebrate this time of year :)

I sent most of my collection off to sell a few years ago.  Thierry and I had a conversation that went something like this:

Holiday:  My wife things I'm a hoarder.  What do you think a hoarder is?

Thierry:  If the stuff is getting in your way, you're a hoarder.

Holiday:  I'm a hoarder....

I was tripping on it.  Tired of moving it every time I moved. Thierry likes to share how I had a BATHROOM that was dedicated to storing posters.  Then my brother died, and the world tilted. 

I still have a few hundred of the ones that really are special to me, and those too will likely go some day.  But the rest?  Bruce said something that rang true for me, sooner or later, most collectors become sellers.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2018, 11:06:40 PM »
Hey everyone. It's been awhile and I hope you're all well and that things are great for all of you that celebrate this time of year :)

I sent most of my collection off to sell a few years ago.  Thierry and I had a conversation that went something like this:

Holiday:  My wife things I'm a hoarder.  What do you think a hoarder is?

Thierry:  If the stuff is getting in your way, you're a hoarder.

Holiday:  I'm a hoarder....

I was tripping on it.  Tired of moving it every time I moved. Thierry likes to share how I had a BATHROOM that was dedicated to storing posters.  Then my brother died, and the world tilted. 

I still have a few hundred of the ones that really are special to me, and those too will likely go some day.  But the rest?  Bruce said something that rang true for me, sooner or later, most collectors become sellers.

Good to hear your thoughts, Holiday!  I think I may have some of that hoarding in me if your coversation with T applies to stubbing a toe on a box of paperbacks.  Would be cool to see the few hundred posters that made your cut to today.  I sure enjoy APF.  Thanks for starting it with T.  Okie

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2018, 09:12:12 AM »
It’s a pleasure to have created APF, and even though I don’t participate like I used to, I remain committed to the vision of providing a place for folks to talk without censureship.  And, to do so without being a dick.  I’ve been hearing about a few folks being a dick when getting caught up in being right and bludgeoning others with their opinion.  Be kind to one another.

As for my remaining collection, it may be time to resort them and shoot some new pics :)

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »
It’s a pleasure to have created APF, and even though I don’t participate like I used to, I remain committed to the vision of providing a place for folks to talk without censureship.  And, to do so without being a dick.  I’ve been hearing about a few folks being a dick when getting caught up in being right and bludgeoning others with their opinion.  Be kind to one another.

As for my remaining collection, it may be time to resort them and shoot some new pics :)

Happy to see you popping in and out, Holiday. And your last line (in bold) should be one of APF's mantras. Otherwise, this or any forum might dry up and eventually blow away.

And APF has become a great resource for posters of all kinds (and not just movie posters). You and T created a wonderful forum here, that is now 9 years old and counting!!  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2018, 11:45:07 AM »
Hi Stefano,  I think you make a really good point on single lobbies vs sets on price.  Also, some of the singles aren't very good images.  Do you still have images of those Phantom photobustas you had?  Okie

A lot of the really good stuff hasn't been seen in a full set in years.  Building from singles is sorta fun, and the only way to collect some of these sets.  Tell me all about those Dracula or Frankenstein LCS purchases.
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2018, 02:38:14 PM »
Bruce said something that rang true for me, sooner or later, most collectors become sellers.

Most but not ALL.  Still zero interest in selling anything.  Does that make me a minority?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2018, 02:44:04 PM »
Okay, let's go for it.  Holiday and I in my jacuzzi a couple days ago.  We welcome all comments.

And no, we didn't talk about the forum or any of you.

T
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 02:45:29 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2018, 03:48:49 PM »
Oooh.  I will never unsee that.   :D
-Jay-

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2018, 09:59:35 PM »
Cigars, white lightnin', and hot tubbing: looks like the left coast with a pinch of southern style!  Nice shot, T And Holiday. Okie

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2018, 12:49:38 PM »
Oooh.  I will never unsee that.   :D

Pure awesomeness this response!  lmfao!!!

I am truly shocked that he posted that, but then again, not really lol.  Thierry has been and always shall remain a madman.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2018, 12:51:07 PM »
Most but not ALL.  Still zero interest in selling anything.  Does that make me a minority?

T

I was definitely thinking of you when I quoted Bruce.  I don't see you ever selling.  Then again, stranger things have happened :)
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2018, 03:11:00 PM »
"careful where you're flicking that ash"

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2018, 10:41:15 PM »
I hope those are Cubans you two are puffing on!  :D

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2018, 11:28:39 PM »

Aye, but I never had the full set.  Think I had four or five, and kept two.

They were smaller than today's fotobustes, but larger than US LCs (and printed on similar stock).

Here are two that I sold.  One is a "dead scene," but with beautiful colors that show the scale of the production.  The other features the four stars near the climax of the film.  Enjoy (hopefully the attachment works)!