Author Topic: If you could do it all over again  (Read 2823 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Collector
Re: If you could do it all over again
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2018, 10:22:17 PM »
I have collected over the years in coins; comic books; original comic and illustration art; movie posters/memorabilia; paperback books; and various cool image ephemera.  Even with the lurid covers that I really like, paperback book collecting funds could have been better spent, especially in my early years of collecting.  But, who knew?!  I still have trouble passing up a cool paperback cover.  For movie posters, I've only bought images that I really like myself or thought I could use to trade with other collectors.  One exception in posters is I think I bought way too many movie posters in Thailand, though I really enjoyed the chase.  Okie

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2018, 11:11:16 PM »
If I could, when I had the store I would not have raided my personal collection because I couldn't find a desired piece another collector wanted. At one time I had some nice pieces (early OO7, DIRTY HARRY rolled 22x28 & 40x60, HELP rolled insert, etc.) and if I couldn't locate a particular piece at a price cheap enough to make a profit on, I would invariably take it from my personal stash, take one last look at it, and sell it to a grateful customer. Such is the burden of being both a dealer and collector.

Offline okiehawker

• Collector
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2018, 11:18:10 PM »
If I could, when I had the store I would not have raided my personal collection because I couldn't find a desired piece another collector wanted. At one time I had some nice pieces (early OO7, DIRTY HARRY rolled 22x28 & 40x60, HELP rolled insert, etc.) and if I couldn't locate a particular piece at a price cheap enough to make a profit on, I would invariably take it from my personal stash, take one last look at it, and sell it to a grateful customer. Such is the burden of being both a dealer and collector.

So, are you saying you are the "everything has a price" Cabman, Cabman?  Okie

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2018, 11:11:33 AM »
Yes. Like it or not, we're not going to be buried with the posters we lovingly collected for years. We may have attachments to them, like good art, a particularly favorite movie, star, director, etc. but there comes a time when you may see a poster you paid $10 for selling for $125 or more and you might think "hmmm, what would I rather have, a piece of paper I can hang on the wall and look at, or some money in the bank".

Offline erik1925

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2018, 12:06:02 PM »
Yes. Like it or not, we're not going to be buried with the posters we lovingly collected for years. We may have attachments to them, like good art, a particularly favorite movie, star, director, etc. but there comes a time when you may see a poster you paid $10 for selling for $125 or more and you might think "hmmm, what would I rather have, a piece of paper I can hang on the wall and look at, or some money in the bank".

Just be sure to spend the $$ at some point, too, because you cant take that with you, either, to The Great Beyond. ;)

-Jeff

Online bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2018, 06:24:49 PM »

I want my posters back... sent majority of collection to Emp... big mistake... regretting it so much.. but had to because of the circumstances...

Offline okiehawker

• Collector
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2018, 06:34:16 PM »
I want my posters back... sent majority of collection to Emp... big mistake... regretting it so much.. but had to because of the circumstances...

Sorry you had to sell, Big Mike.  I guess you can look at it as lucky you had something of value when you needed it, even though it sucks to have to sell.  Okie
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:09:02 PM by okiehawker »

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »
Big Mike, I know what you mean. But be glad that you had titles people wanted and paid for, and you had the money to use as you needed.

I know I regretted selling good titles from my collection because I knew it would take me a long time to find replacements in the same condition. Sometimes I couldn't and either didn't replace them at all or bought titles in as best condition as I could find. Being both a dealer and collector really sucks sometimes.