Author Topic: If you could do it all over again  (Read 20952 times)

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
If you could do it all over again
« on: October 10, 2010, 11:16:36 AM »
looking over my collection has got me thinking. If I had the chance again with the money i've spent so far and the knowledge i've gained would I buy the same posters again?

When i started out i didnt know how much posters were worth and i ended up buying a few pieces of tat. I sometimes think maybe i should have bought 2-3 fantastic pieces e.g Forbidden Planet 1 sheet or French King Kong instead of the 40 tat pieces.

What would you guys buy if you could start again?

Farrukh

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
Re: If you could do it all over again
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 11:19:10 AM »
A house.

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 11:28:13 AM »
lol surely you cant have spent that much maybe enough for a deposit.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 11:28:22 AM »
I think sometimes I spent too much on other area's such as 16/8mm films, Famous monsters and other horror mags, models, toys, etc. But I'm happy how things are going and what I have, And there is plenty to aspire too. It's always the chase that is the best bit. ;)  
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 11:36:14 AM »
yeah Paul its the same for regarding the chase as soon as i've got it i'm already thinking of the next purchase. But life is for living and  i'm happy with most of the posters i've bought but i sometimes wonder what if.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 12:41:04 PM »
Well Belive me, up until a few years ago I certainly lived life, I'm now almost 50 and have slowed down a bit. Still have fast cars, and enjoy life's other pleasures. Just because you collect doesn't mean no life, unless it goes as far as some I could mention ;) It's all about balance. Alway's enjoy what you do, and never feel guilty.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »
In time, possibly, but right now, no, mainly because the stuff I want is too damn expensive.  I figured it was better to get my feet wet by buying less expensive pieces, then once I had a better grasp on the market and hobby I'd delve into more expensive MP.  Still working on getting a better grasp of the hobby  ;D

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 12:48:10 PM »
I purchased my first poster in 2001 and kept an eye out for steals on what I really wanted. Some of my collection came in a lot that I bought solely for one poster and it kind of bugs me to have stuff I am not crazy about.  Although you would never guess from looking at my collection, I am pretty particular on what I want.  I really have to fight the urge to drop a ton of cash at times.  
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 12:51:46 PM »
But life is for living and  i'm happy with most of the posters i've bought but i sometimes wonder what if.

Same here. Im happy with what I have bought but knowing what I know now I would have spent differently. Less with the quantity and more with the quality.
Instead of blowing all the cash on the 200?(posters,stills,cards) pieces, I would have just bought 15-20-30 that I really want.
Now I see some posters that I really really want but cant afford and I think to myself If I wasnt such an idiot I would be able to buy it.

On the otherhand, I had this figured out months ago but I dont seem to be able to stop myself from buying crap.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 02:13:52 PM »
Don't let it get you like that, just "enjoy" I have more crap than good, but I like it. I would still love some of Rich's stuff, but hey, it's all in the Game. 8)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 02:33:04 PM »
I'd get a couple hookers instead

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 02:56:57 PM »
I'd get a couple hookers instead

If i hire 3 hookers for you,can i have your posters?

Stew

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 03:12:34 PM »
If i hire 3 hookers for you,can i have your posters?

Stew

I already closed a deal for 4 hookers 3 minutes ago

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 04:05:48 PM »
I made a lot of mistakes since 2001 (when I first started collecting).  I still make them, although I've acquired enough knowledge to avoid most of them.  Still, I still overpay and kick myself for it. 

One of the most important things I've learned is to try to focus your collection.  New CJ, for instance, seems to mainly collect Horror posters, and that's great.  Chad went with Tarantino.  Holiday goes for Japanese posters.  I'm more all over the place and came into consolidating my collection much later.  I collect Spielberg, for instance, so that's one aspect of my collection I'm proud of.  But it can also be draining. For instance, I collect Academy Awards nominated films.  I own quite a few of them from the 50s on.  That includes lots of re-releases (with different designs).  It also means I have to anticipate which movies will get nominated and buy posters I don't really care for just so that I have them when the nominations come, because it might be more difficult to find originals afterward.  I just bought Social Network.  Couldn't care less about it.  I also bought The Town.  Same thing.  Now, if these movies end up getting a nomination (10 every year now :(), cool, if they don't, I spent money for nothing.  It's little money, of course, but over time, it's a lot.  But I can't stop, I have too many of these posters to stop now.  I sometimes wish I had never started, though, and concentrate on something with a finality instead.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 06:14:09 PM »
Don't let it get you like that, just "enjoy" I have more crap than good, but I like it.

Oh ya I like all my crap....The problem, for example, I had no business buying this stuff but I thought it looked cool so fool that I am I got it. I have done much this way. So I have drawn this one line. NO MORE STILLS!...so what do I do this week? I go and buy a german program. Help Me. :P

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 06:25:35 PM »

What would you guys buy if you could start again?

Farrukh

Probably a goodly share of Facebook
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 01:40:54 PM »
I think I would have gone pretty much the same route. I have a handful of rolled posters from the 80s that dont mean all that much to me, but as i think ive mentioned, these were work rescues that would have ended up in the trash, so in that regard, no money outlay.

But when I started getting more into collecting in about 2003 or 04, I was looking for more specific things (Chaney Sr, some horror) and quickly learned how $$ so much of that material can be. So I began to branch out, into foreign posters, but pretty much have stayed in the earlier decades, looking for drawn or stone litho art. But i have bought more modern stuff too, if it has caught my eye.

Like some above have said, it's all about balance and just going with the flow. Ive never looked at it as a race, since the finish line always seems far off in the distance. I guess Im kind of like the tortoise in the well known children's story. The hare can race on. For me, it's the slow boat, easy does it, look, see, learn.

It's what makes it all so fun. And finding the next hidden gem that I alone might find appealing.  :)

-Jeff

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 02:12:49 AM »
Nothing really. Sure we all bought things we wished we didn't, or had yet to be exposed to things we love now, but it's all part of the process of any hobby. The initial years of collecting were the funniest. I wouldn't change anything.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 07:42:57 AM »
Since I have little interest in movies I'm thinking I probably should have stuck with what I started on whi h was advertising posters (1950s, 1960s). The art is much more to my liking and print quality miles ahead.

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 07:37:08 PM »
It's like the stock market, isn't it? Of course we should all have bought Facebook or Apple or whatever and made tons of money, but that's only obvious in hindsight. For me, I certainly bought some crap and overpaid when I started out. But a big part of the joy in the beginning is the buying and seeing new pieces arrive every week. So some of them I didn't like and some I could have got for 1/10th of the price elsewhere, but ultimately the experience and learning of collecting is by necessity making some mistakes in the beginning.

Two years ago, when I moved from USA to Japan, I basically stopped buying posters. I had already scaled down on quantity and instead bought some very high-end pieces I looked for a long time, and with that I felt that I was "done". I sorted and catalogued the whole collection before moving and ended up sending about 1/3 to auction (and probably made the money back on them, so no worries there). What is left is a really great collection, and I'm happy to own it, but apart from the dozen or so posters I have room to display I don't really get to see any of the 600 pieces I have. Sometimes when friends come over and I open a box or draw out a drawer and show some of the stuff I have, I am reminded that I own some amazingly beautiful pieces of art! Maybe one day, when I've moved back to Sweden I'll start buying stuff again, but right now it seems there is not anything I really "need". Except of course more wall space!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:39:32 PM by rumble »

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 11:57:14 AM »
I collect (certain) posters because they are an extension of the movie itself. The fact that they are valuable is merely a bonus for me. I try to get the lowest prices the same way I do everything else I purchase, but not because of investment purposes.

Mirosae

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 12:36:26 PM »
I collect (certain) posters because they are an extension of the movie itself. The fact that they are valuable is merely a bonus for me. I try to get the lowest prices the same way I do everything else I purchase, but not because of investment purposes. girly2.gif

+1

Best thing I did was to create my "must have " list. It has proven to be more difficult than I expected but really good fun. It has kept me "on track" and "on budget ".

In hindsight I should  have abandoned earlier  the idea of having  1 poster per decade as post - 70s is outside my comfy zone.  I like vintage too much

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
Best thing I did was to create my "must have " list. It has proven to be more difficult than I expected but really good fun. It has kept me "on track" and "on budget ".

I like your style.

Mirosae

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 04:36:31 PM »
I like your style.

Thank you!  I take you do something similar?

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 08:46:00 AM »
I collect (certain) posters because they are an extension of the movie itself. The fact that they are valuable is merely a bonus for me. I try to get the lowest prices the same way I do everything else I purchase, but not because of investment purposes.

This is absolutely how I collect as well. I have very little paper from movies I've never seen, and those usually have some kind of unique or extra-appealing artwork that turned me onto them.

The fun in this hobby, for me at least, is the search for the posters that reconnect me with a feeling or emotion of the time when I saw the film. Even if a poster isn't worth the paper it's printed on, having a tangible archive of the time-and-place it returns me to is priceless.