Author Topic: poster bags and mylars  (Read 10556 times)

Offline mrmovieprop

• Beginner
poster bags and mylars
« on: May 20, 2018, 05:39:15 PM »
Anyone have any experience or video to share of flattening a rolled poster and inserting it into a mylar or poly sleeve possibly with backer board such as the ones from bagsunlimited. Most info is about frames for posters not this. And what have people found out to be the real world difference between bagsunlimited different  poster backings.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: poster bags and mylars
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 06:31:23 PM »
Here is a thread that has a couple vids produced by bagsunlimited themselves, discussing bagging and boarding:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,11380.0.html

And  welcome1 to the forum. Enjoy!

-Jeff

Offline mrmovieprop

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 06:56:45 PM »
I think I have looked at their videos.
The real world specifics of getting a rolled poster into a sleeve or mylar and the damage risk and  how its easy to mess up or things to be aware of is what I seek.
Thank you for the suggestion though they are good videos.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 06:58:19 PM by mrmovieprop »

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 07:04:10 PM »
I honestly think your best option is to flatten the poster first, even between foam board or something to get them flat. It’s hard to get a rolled poster into a sleeve. And with Mylar you have to be careful if it’s rolled, and you happen to clip it on the Mylar it may cut/slice through the poster.
I would flatten first to avoid any hassle. It’s much easier that way...

Offline mrmovieprop

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 07:09:32 PM »
I know to flatten it first. Just wanted any more info about the process and getting it in the sleeve or mylar.
I have heard you can roll the other way to help flatten it or use weight. But real world experience from people that have done such to put it in a sleeve or mylar would be helpful.
I see no video of the complete process. Just people sliding perfectly flat posters into sleeves but is that how it is in reality? Rolled canvas paintings I have read should not be rolled the other way to flatten them out and just made flat with weight or some water on back if you knwo how to do that but I woudl nto do that.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 08:21:27 PM »
I think you over-worrying. I have been placing my posters in Mylar pockets - open one side - for over 20 years without difficulty. I find modern rolled posters are the easiest to slide in. Now, a trifold poster which has been rolled for some time can be a bit more difficult and I use a long metal rule to open up the pocket first with these. You don’t need backing boards and the posters will flatten out under weight in no time.

Mark

Offline mrmovieprop

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 12:41:39 AM »
marklawd so any strengths or weakneses of using mylar vs plastic sleeve and backer board? Any thoughts on using these for canvas paintings would they probably fit in a sleeve?

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 02:32:24 AM »
I love the Mylar L-Sleeves that Bags Unlimited sell and use them in everything from inserts up through quad size.
They are open on two sides, so you have no problem placing any rolled posters in them. they lay perfectly flat and can smoothly go in a flat file or an archival box.

http://bagsunlimited.com/category/214/poster-sleeves-backings-polyester-mylar?pagenum=2
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 03:11:25 AM »
I have only ever used polyester (UK equivalent of Mylar) pockets so have no idea about plastic sleeves. They are 100 microns thick and I use a bespoke size that fits in the drawers of an AO plan chest. Backing boards are an unnecessary additional cost in my opinion and they take up too much space. Open one or two sides? I prefer just the narrow width to be open - the posters seem more secure to me during handling.

Mark

Offline mrmovieprop

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 04:33:51 PM »
I think bagsunlimited said in a video that mylar needs climate control as it cant breathe compared to sleeves.
Anyone have any thoughts on that. If not really  in a climate controlled  area is a plastic sleeve and backer board better than mylar?

And anyone have any thoughts on https://www.hollingermetaledge.com/modules/store/index.html?dept=15&cat=738 versus the bagsunlimited backer boards. the holinger ones are cheaper and someone mentioned them in another thread here. I am researching cheap display/storage methods for 12 or so posters and 4 or so canvas paintings of about a one sheet large scale size. Just want something better than the tubes they been in for years.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 06:30:20 AM »
.......mylar needs climate control as it cant breathe compared to sleeves.
Anyone have any thoughts on that.

Never heard of that. This is what my conversation products supplier says about polyester/Mylar:-

Our polyester film is ‘archival polyester’. Some may refer to archival polyester film as ‘Mylar’ which is a brand name owned by material manufacturer Dupont. There are different grades of Mylar available from Dupont and we ensure the polyester we supply is of the grade required by conservators.

Archival polyester offers a glass-clear, acid-free, non-yellowing/clouding, protective sleeve material, that allows you to handle and view works of art on paper. Our archival polyester is free from any surface coatings, it’s chemically inert and generally won't react with, or cause damage to, items it comes in contact with.

Importantly, archival polyester doesn’t contain plasticisers – you will know well the smell of plasticisers given off by PVC from items such as shower curtains. Anything with this ‘plastic’ smell should be avoided - plasticisers (PVC) are usually added for additional flexibility. Degradation of PVC can lead to development of harmful acid, or leeching into stored contents. Archival polyester is stiff, although it can be easily rolled, it doesn’t crumple, this ‘stiffness’ offers contents a good level of support and resistance from damage. Buying cheaper PVC pockets or sleeves is a false economy, they will become brittle, yellow or cloudy and damage the object you're trying to protect.

Mark

Offline mrmovieprop

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »
Bagsunlimited at https://www.bagsunlimited.com/topic/tips says summarizing

Mylar needs to be kept in a controlled environment because of that “breathing” issue – and museums have that. Most homes do not.  That is why polypro and polyethylene are considered good alternatives for the standard collector who is looking for a lifetime of protection for their collectibles 50-100 years. They have “breathing” properties and as long as they are not left out to absorb light, will not break down for 50-100 years.

First I have heard of this too so I curious what others think.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 01:19:07 PM »
Just curious...

What are the film titles for these 12 or so posters that you are wanting to bag and board?

-Jeff

Offline mrmovieprop

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 11:11:15 PM »
Since you ask. Its like 10 prop posters made for the scream tv series to promote fake  horror movies. Many of them were seen on screen in a movie theater episode.  Some smaller ones not one sheet size were used in the after show that discussed the episodes. And 1 prop poster printed on both sides  from the Michael J fox movie the Hard Way promoting his fake movie within a movie  Smoking Gun II.  Also one V the Final battle  tv mini series Visitor propganda poster of a weird size larger than one sheet. I forget the exact dimensions. I  am thinking of framing that or maybe a larger sleeve will work as short term fix.
Also 5 about one sheet size prop paintings for sorority queens of the past from the Scream queen tv series featured in an episode. They are on canvas and one of a kind. They were removed from frame to save on shipping when I got them.
I also have already framed they came that way several one sheet style posters from an episode of lie to me  the tv show that also promote fake movies.   The lie to me episode involved a murder an an Adult film studio so the posters are all for fake adult movies. I am considering sleeves for other things I just have had in a tube like  Red Dawn weapon blueprint, a partial blue print for the ship in the V poster, unused larger scale duracell battery stickers from a tv commercial. and other things. On posters used in movies or tv shows of this sort I usually assume they are backups unless I know something specific about them. So the Hard Way one and V one I am pretty sure are backup unused posters. but still very rare as most were destroyed after filming to my knowledge.