Author Topic: Cinevent 2018  (Read 14223 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Cinevent 2018
« on: May 18, 2018, 07:46:48 PM »
Anyone going this year?  Richie?  I wish I could squeeze it in this year.  My wife and I are making plans to go next year.  Okie

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Cinevent 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 09:02:21 PM »
yes sir..

I'll still see yu in October...

;)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 10:27:32 PM »
yes sir..

I'll still see yu in October...

;)

Yep, looking forward to it, though wish it was in a few days at Cinevent as well. I'd like to hunt at Cinevent as I'm looking for a nice,  teenage headshot photo of the actor Dick York. It's for a little project on which I'm working. Okie

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 06:27:18 AM »
Yep, looking forward to it, though wish it was in a few days at Cinevent as well. I'd like to hunt at Cinevent as I'm looking for a nice,  teenage headshot photo of the actor Dick York. It's for a little project on which I'm working. Okie

interesting want

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 11:01:46 AM »
Pardon me for interjecting, but I saw a mention of October.  I am not making it to Cinevent this year (too bad because I am scouting for a 3 Sheet of "Side Street"), but is there a paper show in October?

Matthew

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 01:12:53 PM »
Pardon me for interjecting, but I saw a mention of October.  I am not making it to Cinevent this year (too bad because I am scouting for a 3 Sheet of "Side Street"), but is there a paper show in October?

Matthew

Oklahoma City, a comic book convention

-------

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 04:50:38 PM »
If anyone is on the fence re: attending, I'd recommend giving Cinevent a try.  I attend almost every year...if you're looking for a knock-your-socks-off poster convention with everything available you could dream of, this is not it & you'll be disappointed, but if you come with a different frame of mind, you'll enjoy this convention.  In addition to the collectors, there's many old film fans & the theater room is usually busy all day, all night.   

The families who continue to run this event does so only as a labor of love & tradition.   The time/effort to setup & staff this event nonstop all day for multiple days takes a small army and appears so with little reward.   I don't know that for fact, but that's how it appears.  Hope somehow it will continue, understandable if it doesn't.   

The dealer room is a nice place to hang, walk around, see familiar faces & hope to find something that catches your attention.   Auction can be hit-or-miss but usually you'll find there's always a few items that peak your interest.

I attend these days only because over the years you establish a group of close friends & it's nice to share your passion with others you can talk to face-to-face.  Adrian Cowdry was one of those friends who always made the show better, had a wealth of knowledge of anything poster, film & especially Bond related.  It's definitely different now without Adrian but he's still with us in spirit.   I was never a fan of Joe's Crab Shack but we went every year as Adrian loved it & flew in from London where they don't exist.

Cinevent is also my weekend where I get away, my one weekend a year where I don't have to think about my job/career, the kids, the house, my aging parents & any other responsibility I have the other 362 days a year.  I come back completely refreshed and ready to start over.   With my wife passing away last year, it makes me appreciate having close friends from all over the place who come together for a common interest.   

The change in venue from a rat hole Ramada Hotel outside of downtown Columbus to a midtown Renaissance Hotel & Conference Center has also changed the dynamics of attending.   The hotel that hosted the event for 20+ years became so run down it should have been condemned 5-10 years prior, but it still was enjoyable to go to & many of the older attendee's liked it because it was cost-effective, easy to get to, had free parking & made the show much simpler.   The area around the older hotel on Sinclair Dr. became so bad I felt I had to pull everything out of my vehicle & bring to the room expecting it would get broken into.  Definitely a well-needed change to move the show.

If anyone is new this year who plans to attend, look me up once you're there & I'll introduce you to others.   It's a weekend of overindulgence of eating (both bad food & great steak houses), excessive alcohol & film memorabilia, one I wouldn't trade for anything. 

Anyone going this year?  Richie?  I wish I could squeeze it in this year.  My wife and I are making plans to go next year.  Okie
Stephen Ryan

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 06:05:02 PM »
what Steve said

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 11:57:51 PM »
Thanks, Richie and Steve!  I'm looking forward to any pictures and war stories you two are willing to share during and after Cinevent! Steve, thanks for the excellent information on the hotel etc. I know what you mean on getting away and enjoying the hobby with fellow friends who enjoy it as well. Next weekend will be here before you know it!  I'm jealous.  Okie

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 12:22:13 AM »
what Steve said

Although Cinevent is not my thing, I thought movieposters' post was very well written, heartfelt and I'm sure enticing to anyone who might be interested.

thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 04:58:01 AM »
Thanks, Richie and Steve!  I'm looking forward to any pictures and war stories you two are willing to share during and after Cinevent! Steve, thanks for the excellent information on the hotel etc. I know what you mean on getting away and enjoying the hobby with fellow friends who enjoy it as well. Next weekend will be here before you know it!  I'm jealous.  Okie

I keep forgetting my phone has a camera......

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 04:59:22 AM »
Although Cinevent is not my thing, I thought movieposters' post was very well written, heartfelt and I'm sure enticing to anyone who might be interested.

thumbsup.gif

T

I'll state it differently:

if you like seeing lots of vintage movie posters, stills and other various collectibles while at the same time hanging out with other miscreants doing the same.. go to Cinevent..

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 09:15:34 PM »
Hey, Richie and Steve!  Any cool photos/stories to share?  Or, is it too hot and heavy poster action right now?  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 10:02:20 PM »
Well, the great collector and all around good guy, Rick Payne, sent me a few pictures he took of the Cinevent 2018 dealers room.  Rick was kind enough to let me post the pictures for all of us to enjoy.  Hey, even the not-so-elusive Richie Halegua of MoviePosterBid can be seen in one of the photos chatting at his table with a great poster display behind him! Enjoy, and thanks, Rick!  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 10:04:11 PM »
More Cinevent

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 10:07:24 PM »
Even more Cinevent.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 10:08:17 PM »
Yea, more Cinevent!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 10:11:31 PM »
And, another Cinevent shot.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 10:58:17 PM »
Great pics - thanks for sharing
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 11:24:02 PM »
Looks like fun.  Was there an auction or any special event(s)?  Seems to be more of an old school assortment, eh?  Of all the photos, I did not see any modern stuff.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 11:28:16 PM »
Great pics, okie. Looks like lots of good and interesting stuff was offered.

Thanks for posting them.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:31:40 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 03:22:26 PM »
I see the Steve Sally legacy continues with his son manning the tables. That's him next to Zorro's Fighting Legion and the White Heat insert. Surprised he didn't put up The Mummy R-51 3-sheet.

guest4955

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 11:51:21 PM »
 bed1

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 12:06:34 AM »
I see the Steve Sally legacy continues with his son manning the tables... Surprised he didn't put up The Mummy R-51 3-sheet.

He sold that item several years ago.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 12:11:33 AM »
I see the Steve Sally legacy continues with his son manning the tables. That's him next to Zorro's Fighting Legion and the White Heat insert. Surprised he didn't put up The Mummy R-51 3-sheet.

This would be a great image to see.

-Jeff