Author Topic: Heads Up - GDPR - May 2018  (Read 5692 times)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Heads Up - GDPR - May 2018
« on: May 03, 2018, 01:24:00 PM »
For T, but I assume Jeff will do this...

RE The EU's new GDPR

If you use any sort of personal data from anyone based in the EU (which you obviously do!), you must abide by GDPR by 25 May 2018.
It's not optional and is a pain in the backside, but it has to be done.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Heads Up - GDPR - May 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 06:55:19 PM »
It is a real pain, for both the site owners and the clients.

I have been fielding numerous emails from sites asking about their use of my name and email address, and whether they can continue to store it and send the odd email...

Not sure who this benefits. It is a lot like the 'We use cookies, you ok with that?' type of message that you have to keep on ok-ing every time you visit a site after clearing your cache.

Deary me.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 08:28:39 PM »
Mate, it's a nightmare!
If you don't abide by it and you get caught, no matter how small you are, there can be some pretty serious consequences.

What the EU should have done is said that AFTER 25 May 2018, all sites must comply and any new subscribers or account holders etc must see and actively agree and consent to their information being used. Current subscribers or account holders should have been left alone, but provided the same legal information with an option to update their preferences if so desired.

Alas, the ultimate wisdom from the EU will cause the likely decimation of so many business contact lists.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:30:59 PM by AdamCarter1985 »
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 12:13:20 AM »
Sounds like I can still keep my handwritten Rolodex!  Sometimes it is good getting older.  Take that electronic address lists!  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 12:49:00 AM »
Don't know what this stuff means but great.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)