Author Topic: Hi  (Read 5271 times)

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
Hi
« on: May 22, 2018, 05:24:39 AM »
Hi Folks.

New member here.  Been collecting movie paper since the late '90s when I discovered that eBay was offering some original movie paper for some of my favorite films.  At the time an aspiring filmmaker, the prospect of having access to theater-used content used for promoting those films was very exciting.  I love the art, and the creative marketing strategies, but just as much so I like to put myself in the place of a potential audience member of the time, viewing the poster as part of the experience surrounding the film. 

The first item I got on eBay was a pressbook for one of my favorite films.  Paid for it with a personal check in the mail (remember life before PayPal?).  I remember reading it, looking at the posters, and imagining how I would promote the film if I were a theater owner of the day.

I collect material mostly for horror and thrillers of the '60s and '70s.  It's a bit before my time, but I have always loved this era.  Hammer films, Italian gialli, etc.  I love Belgian posters for the size and colorful artwork, but the past few years I've been largely interested in Italian fotobuste.  They're not just lobby cards - there's a great deal of creativity that went into some of them.  I also like the size - much more daunting than the dinky lobby cards of other countries.  If you're going to have a poster, have a POSTER!  It must've taken up a lot of real estate to promote some films in Italy.  I do still like lobby cards from other countries, though.  German lobby cards are interesting, and can include sets of more than 32 hand-colored scene cards.

I'll stop now before I get carried away.  Looking forward to chatting.

S.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 11:31:12 AM »
Sounds like an interesting collection.  I'd love to see some of it.

So what are your favs?  Suspiria?  The Texas Chainsaw Massacre?  Night of the Living Dead?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 11:38:28 AM »
Welcome...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 11:54:39 AM »
 welcome1, and enjoy the forum. Looking forward to seeing some of your horror and thriller poster-goodness, too!

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 12:22:13 AM »
Yes, looking forward to seeing your posters as well, Stefano! Welcome.  Okie

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 07:02:47 AM »
Welcome!

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 04:40:14 AM »
Thanks, all.

Eatbrie:

You guessed one of them.  I first saw "Suspiria" in high school and loved it- the atmosphere, music, cinematography, and story (well, what there was of a story).  I have that Italian fotobusta set.  Definitely a fan of Italian horror and thrillers of the 60s and early 70s.  I like Bava's gothic horror entries.  But also the Lenzi- and Martino-style gialli of the early 70s, like "Paranoia" (w/ Carroll Baker) and "The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh" (with a silent "h," apparently...).  These thrillers were highly produced (cinemascope with high production values), yet experimental and innovative, full of exotic locations, and captured the zeitgeist of the time.

So I guess I lean towards Euro-horror.  I was first introduced to Hammer from their "Phantom of the Opera" entry. 
My favorite Hammer film is probably "Nightmare" (1964), because it scared the crap out of my when I was in 6th grade (I got the VHS as part of MCA Home Video's "Hammer Horror Collection").  Very underrated psychological thriller.  Great script, and direction by the renowned Freddie Francis.  Recommended for the many who have not seen it.  It's on YouTube, and perfect for a humid, summer night.  I have tons of posters/stills from this film. 

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 11:12:14 AM »
Nice Stefano. 

Can you tell me how many cards the Suspiria set has?  I got 8 of the 19x27in but 7 of them have a "Vietato Al Minori 14 Anni" snipe, unfortunately.

Then there are the 27x37in cards.  I got 1.  How many of those?

Thanks,

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 11:28:28 AM »
Welcome
Chris

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 12:32:09 AM »
Stefano, welcome to the board. I do hope you'll find the folks on here as friendly and helpful as I have these last few years.

Looking forward to seeing your collection.

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 01:57:36 PM »

Can you tell me how many cards the Suspiria set has?  I got 8 of the 19x27in but 7 of them have a "Vietato Al Minori 14 Anni" snipe, unfortunately.

Then there are the 27x37in cards.  I got 1.  How many of those?

Eatbrie:

The "Suspiria" set is comprised of 10 fotobuste (approx 19x27"), and - I'm 99.9% sure - just one soggettone (approx 27x37).

The age rating stamp can be cool, depending on where it is in the image (I've seen them in really awful places, too).  And how did they get away with rating this film 14? 

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 06:31:45 AM »
Hi Stefano! Welcome!  welcome1