Author Topic: Greetings from a Phan in Florida!  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Phantom1925

• Beginner
    • Phantom 1925
Greetings from a Phan in Florida!
« on: April 22, 2018, 08:33:36 PM »
Extremely glad to be here and to converse with fellow collectors.  I'm big into the 1925 Phantom of the Opera and have been on the hunt for scans of stills and rare material, in addition to attempting to create a new restoration of what survives of the original longer version.  As you may know, the longer "original" version largely survives on subpar prints.  Hopefully we'll get there and produce something quite special!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:45:40 PM by Phantom1925 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Greetings from a Phan in Florida!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:55:07 PM »
 welcome1, Phantom1925!

A fellow collector after my own heart. This film inspired me to get into the "biz" today, here in LA.

I was transfixed by the film, from the time I first saw it, at age 13.

And enjoy the forum, too. Lots of good poster folks are part of the gathering here.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Phantom1925

• Beginner
    • Phantom 1925
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 10:00:21 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome Jeff  :)

I probably saw it for the first time when I was 15.  My mom bought a "Hollywood Classics" VHS from Sam Goody for me and we watched it later on.  Despite the lousy transfer, EP-tape speed, and cobbled together score, it still held its magic.  And hey, it's a nice memory with mom - she was always encouraging me with my interests.  Then came the beautiful Milestone DVD and I was hooked forever - beautiful Photoplay Productions version with a lovely transfer and that superb Carl Davis score, plus all those amazing extras.  That edition still hasn't been topped.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 10:12:23 PM »
You have a partner in crime here, then, Phantom1925.  thumbsup.gif

When I was in HS, I bought the full film on 8mm from Blackhawk Films (it included the color Bal Masque sequence), and ive watched the film more times than I can count, getting versions on VHS, and later the various releases on DVD.

I still have that Blackhawk Films 8mm print. It would be fun to watch that again, enjoying the clacking sound of the projector.

All I need is a projector. ;)

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 07:52:24 PM »
Hooray for Phantom1925!  Yes, welcome, welcome!  My wife and I enjoyed the film once about 20 years ago accompanied by a full orchestra.  Devine!  I'm looking forward to seeing images you have collected from this Chaney/Philbin delight!  Okie

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 05:35:51 AM »
Warm greetings!

I love the world of Phantom films, and have seen every version ever made multiple times.

I have material from some of the films, but nothing from the 1925 version - the prices scared me away from that one.

Keep us updated on the restoration project.  For such an amazing film, it's remarkable that most people don't realize they're essentially watching a 1929 re-shoot with titles added.  A restoration of the original is much needed.

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 12:29:29 AM »
Greetings Phantom1925. It is nice to have you here...and it is groovy that someone so young is a fan of such a classic. (Getting someone younger to watch a silent movie...let alone in black & white...today? NOT gonna happen often...) Enjoy yourself on here.

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!