Author Topic: 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY - POSTER CARD - Has anyone ever seen one of these?  (Read 6981 times)

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
Has anyone ever seen one of these?

It is 5.5" x 10".

https://www.cinemasterpieces.com/52017/ody1apr18.jpg

https://www.cinemasterpieces.com/52017/ody2apr18.jpg

and please, if you are a moderator and are about to freak out because you think this isn't a movie poster.....it was printed by personality posters AND it says it is a poster right on the back :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:08:48 PM by CineMasterpieces »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Thank the Lord you pointed out the company name as proof of product status.

Likewise, this company, www.moonpig.com/uk, is all about moon dwelling pigs...

All accusations of facetiousness are completely deserved..  8)

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
It also has an area for a postage stamp. The mystery continues...

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
and we have a few old folded one sheets with stamps on them that were mailed from theatre to theatre. Somebody stop the madness!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
I seem to recall that you could find this sort of card as a handout in the lobby of theaters for the most premiere class of roadshow releases.  I used to have one for How the West Was Won, although it has been lost for years.

I think it was mostly for Cinerama releases.  They were trying to build buzz, so mailing a postcard from the lobby bragging you had seen the film was a promotion they tried.  Yes, I believe you could get a stamp there as well.  I remember the little cardboard "mailboxes"
-Jay-

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
I think it was mostly for Cinerama releases.  They were trying to build buzz, so mailing a postcard from the lobby bragging you had seen the film was a promotion they tried.  Yes, I believe you could get a stamp there as well.  I remember the little cardboard "mailboxes"

Just like an analog Facebook post then!

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
That is interesting. Thank you for the info. So, if these were handed out/given away at the theatre then they were not for sale/commercial items. Does anyone know if this is absolutely true in this case? Were they definitely given away at the theatre? Or maybe they were for sale at the theatre? It really doesn't matter that much but it does help to describe it as accurately as possible when reselling it.

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
interesting...stamp area on image states 6 cents noting '68 year - according to historical rates, post card rates were 5 cents in 1968, didn't go up to 6 until 1971.

Super cool item, definitely one for the completest, and even a better story on the history, leave it to some marketing guy to come up with putting cardboard mail boxes in theaters.

Has anyone ever seen one of these?

It is 5.5" x 10".

https://www.cinemasterpieces.com/52017/ody1apr18.jpg

https://www.cinemasterpieces.com/52017/ody2apr18.jpg

and please, if you are a moderator and are about to freak out because you think this isn't a movie poster.....it was printed by personality posters AND it says it is a poster right on the back :)
Stephen Ryan

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
interesting...stamp area on image states 6 cents noting '68 year - according to historical rates, post card rates were 5 cents in 1968, didn't go up to 6 until 1971.

Super cool item, definitely one for the completest, and even a better story on the history, leave it to some marketing guy to come up with putting cardboard mail boxes in theaters.

5.5 x 10 would be an oversize card though so I would guess the 6c price is correct for '68 myself. Anyone have a reference for size/price of post cards for 68?
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
5.5 x 10 would be an oversize card though so I would guess the 6c price is correct for '68 myself. Anyone have a reference for size/price of post cards for 68?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_United_States_postage_rates

Looks like they charged the letter rate for oversized cards.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY - POSTER CARD - Has anyone ever seen one of these?
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 12:46:20 PM »

Oversized postcard... this size is still made, I think.

But a cool idea to put a movie advert on one, too. I wonder if this was done with other movie titles too? Or has anyone seen anything like this that have been made today or in more recent years?

And, like then, they probably cost more to mail, too (like an oversize bday card does).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:43:45 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY - POSTER CARD - Has anyone ever seen one of these?
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 01:56:12 PM »
it's just a standard postcard you could buy at any store that sells postcards. I had a whole bunch at one point that I bought as a kid at the corner store - maybe 6 or 8 different, all the usual images. It is not a studio item

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------