Author Topic: Bexley Theater, Bexley, OH / Loews Ohio Theater, Columbus, OH  (Read 4136 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
In doing some family research, I discovered that a relative of mine was the manager of The Bexley Theater, in Bexley, OH (which is near Columbus, OH), from the late 1930s into the 1940s. The theater itself opened in 1935.

It was an interesting theater in that the Bexley was one of the first twin-screen theaters ever built when it opened. At the time, it used a unique projection system that split the projector beam into two identical images so that the same film could be shown simultaneously in both auditoriums.

It was eventually demolished in 1997, to make way for a McDonalds, and, more recently, a Chipotle Mexican restaurant, which is on the site today.

The exterior design looks kind of art deco to me, too.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/9314

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 05:57:04 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
Re: Bexley Theater, Bexley, OH
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 04:50:09 PM »
Cool theater, Jeff.  It's a shame that it no longer stands.  I love those old Art Deco movie theaters.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Bexley Theater, Bexley, OH / Loews Ohio Theater, Columbus, OH
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 05:56:11 PM »
Thanks, Ben.

In doing a little more research on this same relative, who was a musician and orchestra leader, I literally just discovered that, before this, he worked as the Orchestra leader for the Loews Ohio Theater, located right in Columbus.

This theater was built in 1928, with a seating capacity of 3079 people. Movies and live shows were done there. He worked there, as musical director from the theater's opening, until 1936.

The Loews (later called the Loews United Artists and then The Ohio State Theater), closed in 1969, but was saved & totally restored and refurbished. It re-opened in 1984. Its a true movie palace.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/352

Several pics -- the first several being as the exterior & interior appear today.

And this shot of the marquee is from 1928, when the Joan Crawford film, Rose-Marie (1928), was playing there. My relative was likely there for this screening.  Several posters can also be seen, one of which looks like a 3 sheet.

He

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 06:50:28 PM »
Wow, that is a spectacular movie palace Jeff!  I love the interior pics.  Wish there were more of those magnificent theaters left.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 11:08:54 PM »
Wow, that is a spectacular movie palace Jeff!  I love the interior pics.  Wish there were more of those magnificent theaters left.

Second That!  Great pictures, Jeff!  Okie