Author Topic: Folded posters mid 1980s  (Read 3827 times)

Offline kuato2084

• Beginner
Folded posters mid 1980s
« on: April 10, 2018, 09:57:14 PM »
So this is a general question on 80s posters that I am mainly trying to collect. From what what I understand, one sheet's were commonly folded, up until the mid 1980's. My question is, if the poster is let say Back to the Future 2 that was released in 1989 is it less valuable to purchase a folded version of this, as a rolled version may be more attainable due to the year it was released ? I found a rolled version that seems like a reasonable price from a dealer on EBay not sure if I can mention who, but have seen the seller mentioned a few times here however, it's not really clear if they are legit. Thanks for the input   :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Folded posters mid 1980s
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 11:00:17 PM »
If you are concerned that the poster you're looking at is legit or not, it might be helpful to mention who you're thinking about buying it from.

Just in case it turns out to NOT be the real deal. Or others who may have bought from this seller can help steer you in the right direction.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 11:03:21 PM »
My 2 cents...

This is a mistake I made early on, and I've pretty much replaced all my posters, but you should not buy folded posters post 1984.  A folded Back to the Future 2 is worthless, imo.  You can even find a lot of rolled posters post 1980, especially for the big studio movies.  Rolled art house movie posters are harder to come by.

And do not buy from Tom Loce... he is a crook.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline kuato2084

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 11:57:46 PM »
Thank you for the feedback, that's what I wad guess on foleded poster post 1985. The seller by the way is movieposterzone.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 12:17:28 AM »
Thank you for the feedback, that's what I wad guess on foleded poster post 1985. The seller by the way is movieposterzone.

If you do a quick search for "movieposterzone" here on the forum, you can read the mixed bag of comments, opinions etc from those who have bought from or dealt with them in the past, too.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:24:56 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 09:44:38 AM »
My 2 cents...

....you should not buy folded posters post 1984. ......

T

I would echo that sentiment unless you really don't have the patience to wait for a rolled version to appear. 99% of my US one sheets from 1980 onwards are rolled.

I have never had a problem with movieposterzone myself.

Mark

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 12:48:37 PM »
For what it's worth, you can buy with confidence from Bruce, Heritage, or Dale Dilts. If they say a poster is legit, it's legit. Also, I agree with eatbrie, stay away from Loce. He has no problem passing off fakes as the real deal.

The only surefire way to tell if a poster you want is real or fake, barring a very high res photo, is to see the poster in person. Usually, the small print like the credits are a dead giveaway. If they look fuzzy and not sharp and clear, it's a fake.