Author Topic: Hello Poster Lovers  (Read 5772 times)

Offline PosterChild

• Beginner
Hello Poster Lovers
« on: April 09, 2018, 03:38:10 PM »
Thank you for letting me be a part of this. I'm excited to be a part of this wonderful community. I'm new to posters, just bought my first poster, a Star Wars 1977 One Sheet. I have been a big movie buff and I wish to own and display posters of some of my most favourite movies in my home. Posters of E.T., Saturday Night Fever, The Graduate, Lolita, The Lion King, Taxi Driver are some of the ones I am looking to buy next.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 03:59:24 PM by PosterChild »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Hello Poster Lovers
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 03:57:38 PM »
 Welcome3.gif, PosterChild.

Have fun and it sounds like you're on the road to collecting movie posters.

Looking forward to seeing your poster goodness, too, as it comes along.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 04:00:50 PM »
Thank you for letting me be a part of this. I excited to a part of this wonderful community. I'm new to posters, just bought my first poster, a Star Wars 1977 One Sheet. I have been a big movie buff and I wish to own and display posters of some of my most favourite movies in my home. Posters of E.T., Saturday Night Fever, The Graduate, Lolita, The Lion King, Taxi Driver are some of the ones I am looking to buy next.

Welcome, posterchild.  Welcome to the madness.
The stuff you mention has all been 'discovered' and thus will sell for some $$.  What you need to be careful about is doing your homework and making sure what you buy is genuine.  Much of what you mention has bootleg copies floating around.  There are sites which describe the well known bootlegs and how to avoid them.

The best way when starting out is to work with the more reputable auction sites.  emovieposter, Heritage Auctions, Movieposterexchange and movieposterbid are all reputable sites which will periodically auction these titles.  Again, do your homework.  Bothe emovieposter and Heritage have sold archives where you can research a ballpark of what your potential purchase might be going for.  This avoids going into a bidding spree and paying double what it might sell for a few weeks later.  Of course, the final decision is yours, and a poster is worth what you paid (to you).

The last chunk of advice is to exercise patience.  Wait for the right item at the right price.  You may lose a few, or pay too much (likely both) while you learn the ropes, but after a bit you gain a feeling for the market, and also get into the joy of the hunt.

Good hunting
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 04:17:23 PM »
All good titles and, good news, all available.

Any collection that begins with the purchase of a Star Wars One Sheet is on the right tracks, imo.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline PosterChild

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 04:18:59 PM »
Thanks jayn_j. The first poster I bought was from CineMasterpieces. They seem pretty legit. It wasn't an expensive purchase. I went for the "hairy belt" Star Wars 1977 One Sheet which sells at a fraction of the 'original'. Since my objective was to only display, I went for it. I have just had it framed and hung in my den. Will post a picture later. For my next project I want to make my own light box. So looking for a DS poster which will look kickass when lit. Trying to find one from a movie I really like. And also have an eye on Star War 1977 A New Hope Three Sheet. I have a longish wall in my man cave which needs something spectacular:P

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Welcome, posterchild.  Welcome to the madness.
The stuff you mention has all been 'discovered' and thus will sell for some $$.  What you need to be careful about is doing your homework and making sure what you buy is genuine.  Much of what you mention has bootleg copies floating around.  There are sites which describe the well known bootlegs and how to avoid them.

The best way when starting out is to work with the more reputable auction sites.  emovieposter, Heritage Auctions, Movieposterexchange and movieposterbid are all reputable sites which will periodically auction these titles.  Again, do your homework.  Bothe emovieposter and Heritage have sold archives where you can research a ballpark of what your potential purchase might be going for.  This avoids going into a bidding spree and paying double what it might sell for a few weeks later.  Of course, the final decision is yours, and a poster is worth what you paid (to you).

The last chunk of advice is to exercise patience.  Wait for the right item at the right price.  You may lose a few, or pay too much (likely both) while you learn the ropes, but after a bit you gain a feeling for the market, and also get into the joy of the hunt.

Good hunting

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 04:35:04 PM »
Thanks jayn_j. The first poster I bought was from CineMasterpieces. They seem pretty legit. It wasn't an expensive purchase. I went for the "hairy belt" Star Wars 1977 One Sheet which sells at a fraction of the 'original'. Since my objective was to only display, I went for it. I have just had it framed and hung in my den. Will post a picture later. For my next project I want to make my own light box. So looking for a DS poster which will look kickass when lit. Trying to find one from a movie I really like. And also have an eye on Star War 1977 A New Hope Three Sheet. I have a longish wall in my man cave which needs something spectacular:P

Look around here.  I built a couple of lightboxes and have posted details.  I recommend using the front loading frame from Spotlight Displays and then building the lightbox behind it.  Use LEDs for lighting, as heat is a enemy of your posters (fading).

I have built 3 sheet frames as well, but they cost a bit and are complicated to use and to assemble. 
I have bought my frame rails from Grafik Dimensions
https://www.pictureframes.com/Metal-Frames/Discount-Metal-Frames/111MBLK-matte-black-metal-picture-frame
You need to buy foamcore and plexi locally as the shipping costs are horrible.  Cutting down foamcore isn't bad, but cutting the plexi is probably best to let the home improvement store make the cuts.  Get the rails and cut the board 1/4" big in each direction to allow for irregularities.
It turns out well:
-Jay-

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 06:18:46 AM »
Thought PosterChild was Cinemasterpieces - on emp at least.

Still tryin' to figure out if there is a joke somewhere I am missing...??  Help!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 12:43:46 AM »
Welcome aboard. Let's hope your STAR WARS poster was purchased from a reputable dealer and is legit. As you'll discover there are lots of fakes lurking about (of all kinds of posters). But welcome --we are glad to have you.  CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 11:26:16 AM »

Hey PC, will you eventually replace the 'hairy belt' bootleg SW one sheet with a legit, theatrical OS poster? Or will you keep this one, since, as you mentioned, it will be on display?

And good luck with the light box build, too. A number of members have talked about and done this themselves, so Im sure they'll be willing to give you any additional input or thoughts, too. :)

-Jeff