Author Topic: April 2018  (Read 21535 times)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
Re: April 2018
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2018, 08:35:45 PM »
Thanks Jeff!  It's good to finally get my hands on it after so many years...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2018, 08:49:15 PM »
Thanks Jeff!  It's good to finally get my hands on it after so many years...

Makes it even more worthwhile, when it's one you (or any collector) has been after or on the hunt for, for a period of time.

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2018, 11:02:17 PM »
Title Lobby Cards

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2018, 11:04:58 PM »

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2018, 11:07:07 PM »

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2018, 11:10:03 PM »
Half Sheets

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2018, 11:12:27 PM »

Chris

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2018, 11:16:23 PM »
Wow, Chris, you've been very busy acquiring cool posters the last 3.5 months!  Doing a bit of "wall papering"?  Awesome!  Okie

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2018, 11:58:12 PM »
Wow, Chris, you've been very busy acquiring cool posters the last 3.5 months!  Doing a bit of "wall papering"?  Awesome!  Okie

Thanks Okie.  I do plan (hopefully!) on doing a switcheroo on the framed posters soon
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2018, 12:52:26 AM »
Another nice noir pile of paper there, Chris.  cool1

-Jeff

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2018, 11:58:35 AM »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:43:39 PM by erik1925 »

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2018, 12:16:47 PM »
Just arrived in the mail yesterday from Heritage...

https://i1.wp.com/www.beforetalkies.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/IMG_0826-e1523721155108.jpg?resize=225%2C300&ssl=1

Matthew
That's no way to treat Lizabeth Scott!  Really intense vice poster you got there, Matthew!  Wow!  Okie

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2018, 02:31:57 PM »

Ben,

That think is sharp man. The colors look top notch. You going to flatten and back it or leave as is?

Congrats on it!

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2018, 08:12:15 PM »
Thanks Chris, the colors are quite vivid indeed.  To answer your question, I'm going to keep the poster as it is.  I'm generally not a fan of linenbacking and would only consider doing this as an absolute last resort (i.e., only if the paper was completely in tatters, which is obviously not the case here).  I really don't mind when folds are clearly visible on a poster: to me this is just part of the history of the piece (since the vast majority of older paper was folded), and I never feel the need to correct such "flaws".

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2018, 08:20:33 PM »
Just received my Revenge of the Creature Italian 2P from HA signature auction from this past weekend.  I love it, it looks great in person, great condition for such a large poster and the colors are really vibrant.  Definitely one of the better paper for this title.

I think it rivals the best paper from any of the Creature films!  It's in your face action, too!  Thanks for the picture now that you have received it, Antoine!  Okie
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 08:53:35 PM by okiehawker »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2018, 08:39:26 PM »
Thanks Chris, the colors are quite vivid indeed.  To answer your question, I'm going to keep the poster as it is.  I'm generally not a fan of linenbacking and would only consider doing this as an absolute last resort (i.e., only if the paper was completely in tatters, which is obviously not the case here).  I really don't mind when folds are clearly visible on a poster: to me this is just part of the history of the piece (since the vast majority of older paper was folded), and I never feel the need to correct such "flaws".

I'm with you 100% on this line of thinking, Ben.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2018, 11:45:38 PM »

thumbs up 1000 times

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2018, 09:26:29 AM »
Ben,

Couldn't agree with you more. I really love the clean, complete look of classic posters that have been backed and presented well, but like you am a sucker for the story an untouched poster tells whether you know it's pedigree or one that you fictionalize in your own imagination.

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2018, 01:04:10 PM »
ugh...yes the question that will haunt all of us to the end-of-time.     To back..or not to back, and yes, I, as well as many of you, am always conflicted, as well.   

On one side you look at it as keeping a poster as pure as it was intended to be coming off the press, on the other, when you have an image this good, you don't want heavy folds or anything else distracting from viewing the image.   

I know many others of you are purists out there and those who accept and/or prefer backing completely understand this.   

I guess for me the litmus test is based on the intent of what to do with a classic poster that's so displayable.   If it's going to be displayed in an area where lots of individuals will view it ( and for a poster of this caliber, it easy to see why someone would consider), it might be best to back it to remove what non-collectors see as a distraction or flaw.   If it's kept somewhere more personal or not displayed, there wouldn't be any good reason to ever mount this in any way, shape or form.

I rarely ever back a poster if it comes folded, but I don't have any hesitation to purchase one that is already backed.   In many cases it's hard enough to find a specific poster you want, then often having to be the high bidder to come up with it.   Deciding I only want one backed or never backed only complicates the objective of owning that item.   

Ben,

Couldn't agree with you more. I really love the clean, complete look of classic posters that have been backed and presented well, but like you am a sucker for the story an untouched poster tells whether you know it's pedigree or one that you fictionalize in your own imagination.
Stephen Ryan

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2018, 02:36:09 PM »
it might be best to back it to remove what non-collectors see as a distraction or flaw.

who cares what a non-collector thinks on this subject? They don't have any financial interest in the hobby, so why should they be any consideration?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2018, 03:08:15 PM »
who cares what a non-collector thinks on this subject? They don't have any financial interest in the hobby, so why should they be any consideration?

Exactly.

Do what you, the owner & collector alone, want to do, and present / display it in whatever way makes you the most happy or satisfied - regardless of what someone else might think.   

But as the number of "back or not to back" threads or posts up in the Restoration board show... the debate rages on. At the end of the day, I think it boils down to personal preference.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 03:23:19 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2018, 03:30:43 PM »
If it's going to be displayed in an area where lots of individuals will view it (and for a poster of this caliber, it easy to see why someone would consider), it might be best to back it to remove what non-collectors see as a distraction or flaw. 

Stephen, you make some valid arguments that are worth being addressed.  To answer your question, my plan is to frame this poster as it is and display it in my home.  However, even if I was planning on hanging it somewhere where a lot of people could view it, I don't really care if non-collectors consider the folds to be a distraction/flaw.  Honestly, I find the notion that folds are problematic rather odd, as they really don't present themselves in such a light to me.  I also think that restoration of any kind (including linebacking) should always be avoided unless the integrity of the poster itself is at great risk of destruction.   

I do agree with your point about the necessity of sometimes buying a poster that is backed, as it can be difficult to find a particularly rare poster in folded condition.  I used to have a strict rule about not buying any paper that was linenbacked, but I have relaxed that rule a few years ago so that I could finally get my hands on a particular desirable item.  I now occasionally buy backed paper but only for larger sizes, as I feel that having the backing can be helpful in keeping a large poster together thus making it easier to display than a folded copy that comes in 2 or more pieces, but to this day I still refuse to buy any OS that are backed.  For example, several years ago I purchased a backed 6-sheet for Revenge of the Creature as I couldn't find a folded copy, and the fact that it was on linen made it a lot easier to display when I had it on my walls. 

When I do decide to buy a poster that's been backed, I always try to find an example that hasn't been retouched, or where the folds haven't been airbrushed.  Coming from a museum background, I have a very conservative approach to restoration and will always favor an unretouched poster with visible defaults to a flawless version that's been tempered with.  That's just my opinion and I realize a lot of folks might disagree, but since I collect mostly for myself, I feel that I'm entitled to my preferences.

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2018, 03:22:23 AM »

cheers sm1

• Post-aholic
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2018, 03:28:22 AM »

-------

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2018, 11:48:25 AM »

Maybe the best two sentences Rich has written on the forum.  clap
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com