Author Topic: What makes a good poster?  (Read 5585 times)

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
What makes a good poster?
« on: March 18, 2018, 07:48:43 PM »
Aside from title or a certain subject you collect regardless of the art. What to you makes a good poster?

Is there a common thread that runs through your collection? What elements of a poster make up a poster you're drawn to?

I'm intrigued to find out. Since starting to downsize my collection. with what remains I can clearly see certain themes that they all share.

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
Re: What makes a good poster?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 06:23:58 PM »
Leaving aside title, genre, and art doesn't really a leave a lot of reasons to collect a poster, imo.  Having quality in any one of those categories goes a long way to making a good poster.  When it doesn't have any of those three it's time to dump it.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 06:43:20 PM »
Having quality in any one of those categories goes a long way to making a good poster. 

We know that. We've seen your posters...  notworthy.gif
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 06:58:32 PM »
The title is essential to me, since I don't collect posters of movies I haven't seen.  First the title, then the subject matter (i.e. Hitchcock, Tarantino, Academy Awards nominated films, etc).  The art is okay, but not what drives me to a purchase.

I don't see a common thread aside from the first two mentioned.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 07:27:56 PM »
Hi Ladeda,  I like a striking, large, colorful, painted element in the poster design.  If it's Stone litho, even better.  If there are smaller vignettes, I want them to complement the larger image.  Luckily for me (and, many more than me) many posters from the 1950s on back have this element. Even a newer poster now and then draws me in via the above.  Thank goodness for some great posters with this element from the U.S.A., Argentina, Italy, Germany, Thailand, Mexico, France...  Okie

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 07:48:37 PM »
I like titles, too.  I also have bought posters of films I have never seen because of the actors names on the poster.  And still others I have bought because I just liked the poster.  Not sure if this is off topic but one thing that I shy away from is a poster that has moisture damage.  Tears and paper loss are okay.  But for some reason, moisture damage completely turns me off.

Matthew

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 08:17:54 PM »
For me, it's all about the graphics, color and imagery for films I have seen and even for those I haven't. If the poster combines all the right elements and pulls me in, then I will hunt down the flick to watch, even if it's one I haven't seen before. And whether the poster is for a US or foreign film doesnt matter.

In that case, the poster did what it was made to do -  make me want to see the movie.

And if the poster works on those aesthetic levels, it's one I might strongly want to add to the collection.

Side note: stone lithos are the bomb for me, too. I particularly love that style and technique, (as well as drawn, poster art, in general).

-Jeff

Offline patrickh

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 04:38:05 PM »
For me it's all about Dutch history at WOII, like this:

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 08:08:18 PM »
Printing type does it for me.  The old lithos or silkscreen posters where the process and effort involved means so much more then just the push of a button.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 02:35:02 PM »
This poster imagery works for me, too.. bold color, vivid imagery and the composition and title font all pull me in. And it has elements of that old school, litho style, and looks to be the original poster font, too. clap clap

And if this was printed, I'd be happy to pick up a copy.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 03:22:38 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 08:49:31 PM »
This poster imagery works for me, too.. bold color, vivid imagery and the composition and title font all pull me in. And it has elements of that old school, litho style, and looks to be the original poster font, too. clap clap

And if this was printed, I'd be happy to pick up a copy.

What poster is this, Jeff?  Is it recent art someone created?  Thanks, Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 10:18:04 PM »
It’s a print by Francesco Francavilla.  You can get it for cheap on EBay.  I think I have one.  Can’t remember which version and too lazy to check my website.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 10:22:56 PM »
It’s a print by Francesco Francavilla.  You can get it for cheap on EBay.  I think I have one.  Can’t remember which version and too lazy to check my website.

T

Thanks for the artist's name, T,

I did see that there were a couple versions/colors done. And I think this red style knocks it out of the park, POP-wise.

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 10:30:35 PM »
I don’t like any of them, to be honest.  Don’t even know why I got one.  I’m no fan of Frankenstein and I can pretty much say that I will never own a Frankenstein poster.  Not my thing.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 11:01:55 PM »
Different strokes for different folks.

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 12:06:25 AM »
For sure.  I’d say 99% of the stuff I collect means nothing to 99% of collectors.  But it’s still interesting to see what other people like, even if it means nothing to you.

T
My Personal Collection