Author Topic: Questionable Shipping quotes from Major auction Houses  (Read 11937 times)

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
Questionable Shipping quotes from Major auction Houses
« on: March 11, 2018, 02:59:32 PM »
Well I received my shipping quote from Julien's for some lobby cards $293!!!!

The insurance cost will be rather high but that still seems egregious compared to Profiles (which charges around $50) and Heritage (who charges around $30) and obviously Bruce is a great watermark for shipping because he packs the best for lobby cards (of anyone that I have done business with) and he charges the least!! (Always great work Emovie!)

I already emailed them with questions and asking if they could use my FEDEX Business account

Any thoughts??
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Questionable Shipping quotes from Major auction Houses
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 03:18:29 PM »
How many cards are in this win, Tait?

For that price, (and im being tongue in cheek here), I would guess it would be a quantity weighing MANY pounds for that shipping fee. That's crazy, imho.

Is that quote based merely on weight and size of the parcel? Or does this have to do with some attached insurance cost, as well?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:18:24 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 07:12:12 PM »
Wow 293! I could mail four separate flat-packed 27x40 lenticulars from Washington DC to Europe for that.  They must charge a lot for time and materials too.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 11:20:58 PM »
Well I received my shipping quote from Julien's for some lobby cards $293!!!!

The insurance cost will be rather high but that still seems egregious compared to Profiles (which charges around $50) and Heritage (who charges around $30) and obviously Bruce is a great watermark for shipping because he packs the best for lobby cards (of anyone that I have done business with) and he charges the least!! (Always great work Emovie!)

I already emailed them with questions and asking if they could use my FEDEX Business account

Any thoughts??

Any update on this shipping question and amount they want to charge? I'd love to hear how this shipping fee is being explained and/or justified by Julien's.

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 03:33:03 PM »
Itemization of the shipping charge:
FEDEX OVERNIGHT to HAWAII: $114
Insurance:  $153  (which ends up being $15 of insurance per $1,000 spent)
Packing/processing - $25 flat fee

faint2.gif crying spew

Tait

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 03:45:24 PM »
Last time I sent an expensive poster from the UK was to Canada (which is bizarrely more expensive than sending to the USA), fully insured for £2500 (actual value was less but that was the next increment level) and it cost around £100.

So if I'm right, Tait, you spent around $10k (£7.5k)?
Plus shipping to an island almost in the middle of the Pacific...$293 (£217)...think that's pretty acceptable in my opinion.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 04:29:07 PM »
Itemization of the shipping charge:
FEDEX OVERNIGHT to HAWAII: $114
Insurance:  $153  (which ends up being $15 of insurance per $1,000 spent)
Packing/processing - $25 flat fee

faint2.gif crying spew

Did you request the FEDEX overnight? Or was that the only option they offered?

Overnight shipping is a premium (and likely the most expensive way to ship, no matter the carrier used), & regardless of an item's value.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 04:30:14 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 04:38:53 PM »
Yep... it was 5 figures for lobby cards..and FEDEX overnight as the service they insisted on..When I broke it all down it was more acceptable...the package arrived safely the next day...it was over-packed and roughly 3 times the size box of similar lots  (11X14 lobby cards) from other auction houses...

I did also have direct contact with the shipping manager within hours of my first inquiry AND it arrived 3 days after the auction ended and I was invoiced...so that is lightning fast

I will say that the package was left without a direct signature even though I made it clear that was expected and it was clearly marked through FEDEX to be received that way...

This is starting to be a recurring problem...I have been sending and receiving shipments with direct signature required (paid for and specified) and multiple times over the last few months items were left with no signature ...for me and to my clients....WTF
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 05:19:15 PM »
At least we know now know where a huge chunk of that cost came from that you spoke of originally. With $114.00 portion for the mailing alone.

Cant believe they just left it, with no sig, even when it was sent with a sig required. Just goes to show that drivers and delivery folks DO NOT CARE many times. They just want to get their trucks emptied and not have to deal with a possible re-delivery.  moron1

But glad they all got to you safe 'n sound. Im sure you're one happy camper, now that you have them in hand.

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 05:51:22 PM »
Yeah it was a pretty surreal experience...I've been collecting for nearly 20 years and that was the first time I was ever able to open a package with 11 prime silent Keaton cards together...Just to see 3 Sherlock Jr. cards together...pieced together from different sets of course..was an awesome moment...only 4 different scene cards have ever been publicly auctioned...and there is no resource showing what the other cards even look like...

And there were 4 cards from another film that were in Very Fine++ condition...which is amazing in itself!!  thumbsup.gif
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 07:04:53 PM »
Now that they've arrived, Tait, maybe you'll give us a peak and these rare beauties?

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 07:34:56 PM »
Here is the sneak peak.... Lot #54

I was underbidder on 4 other Keaton lots and I simply couldn't walk away without winning something!

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2018/osianama-archives/OsiansFlippingBook/Osians/40/
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 07:53:48 PM »

I was underbidder on 4 other Keaton lots and I simply couldn't walk away without winning something!

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2018/osianama-archives/OsiansFlippingBook/Osians/40/

So both of these sets (20 cards in total) are all now part of your collection?  If so, then a huge thumbsup.gif to you.

-Jeff

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 07:58:39 PM »
No signature?! Surprised FedEx are doing this to you.
It's a little annoying to say the least.

In the UK, the worst offenders in my experience are Yodel - you just cannot trust them.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 09:32:53 PM »

Sooo happy for you! Great lot

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 08:36:05 PM »
Sooo happy for you! Great lot

Thanks!!  It was such a random coincidence that I even saw the auction and was able to get registered and pull together funds in a few days time...its a lesson to CHECK those random emails that you get from auction houses that you normally DON'T frequent...I don't even know how Julien's got my email but whomever "peddled" it to them...thank you!!

If you only knew how long I drooled over the Schrader archive (I received access to a password only private digital archive about 2010)...I was actually going to visit Osian's in India during a future trip just to see the 180+ Keaton lobby cards in person after they acquired it...

There was no way I would have ever dreamed that I would actually get a chance to buy about 10% of the actual Keaton portion that I was most interested in (only about 100 lobby cards were from his best silent films and I snagged 11 total)...but magical shit happens every day!!
Tait

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 11:50:47 PM »
...but magical shit happens every day!!

Love this ha!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2018, 03:04:36 PM »
Thanks!!  It was such a random coincidence that I even saw the auction and was able to get registered and pull together funds in a few days time...its a lesson to CHECK those random emails that you get from auction houses that you normally DON'T frequent...I don't even know how Julien's got my email but whomever "peddled" it to them...thank you!!

If you only knew how long I drooled over the Schrader archive (I received access to a password only private digital archive about 2010)...I was actually going to visit Osian's in India during a future trip just to see the 180+ Keaton lobby cards in person after they acquired it...

There was no way I would have ever dreamed that I would actually get a chance to buy about 10% of the actual Keaton portion that I was most interested in (only about 100 lobby cards were from his best silent films and I snagged 11 total)...but magical shit happens every day!!

Especially with this little backstory and you loving this particular collection so much in the past.

With you now owning a piece of it has to make it all the more special and 'magical,' as you put it.

Stories that end up like this are great to read. And congrats again on the lot wins!

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 12:43:08 PM »
Great cards! Congrats! THE GENERAL card with the white border is original?

Having dealt with both UPS and FedEx, I've noticed the FedEx drivers here in NYC are a strange bunch. For a high value shipment such as yours it definitely should have been signed for. I know if a driver feels the package can be left safely he will leave it and be on his way. Sometimes they do guess wrong, however.