Author Topic: Fake Alien Lobby card  (Read 5940 times)

Offline Andylong677

• Beginner
Fake Alien Lobby card
« on: March 04, 2018, 11:47:06 AM »
Hi all,

very new to this but been reading up on some fake lobby cards and spotted this one on ebay..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282841996003?ViewItem=&item=282841996003

The seller 'lastmo' has a load of lobby cards etc for sale. Anyone know him? It may be a mistake or someone to avoid

Thanks
Andy

Offline Andylong677

• Beginner
Re: Fake Alien Lobby card
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 11:54:39 AM »
Obviously I may be mistaken and I apologise if I am  ;D
Andy

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 12:48:26 PM »
I know there are known 'minty white' fakes for Aliens, but I don't think so for Alien.

Minty whites are easy to detect if you can see the back.

However, the seller on this card is Morrie Everett, a long time and respected member of MOPO.  I'd trust his evaluation.

I bought from him just last week.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 12:51:13 PM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Offline Andylong677

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 01:05:18 PM »
Fair enough, I am still learning. He has so many for sale, I am sure it is impossible to spot every one

This lobby card has the extra arm on the left... http://www.ebay.com/gds/Guide-to-Real-vs-Fake-Alien-1979-Lobby-Cards-/10000000012406685/g.html

Thanks

Andy

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 01:43:43 PM »
Fair enough, I am still learning. He has so many for sale, I am sure it is impossible to spot every one

This lobby card has the extra arm on the left... http://www.ebay.com/gds/Guide-to-Real-vs-Fake-Alien-1979-Lobby-Cards-/10000000012406685/g.html

Thanks

OK, I see what you are asking.  I would suggest writing to lastmo (Morrie) and showing him this page.  I believe he is honorable and will cancel the auction if he agrees.
-Jay-

Offline Andylong677

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 01:46:38 PM »
Thanks, sent him a message

Andy
Andy

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 04:39:41 PM »
I am the person who wrote that ebay guide, and unfortunately the card Morrie is selling is 100% fake.
Just like Bruce, Morrie deals in tons of material and sometimes things just slip by that aren't right.
Agree that he is 100% honorable and if you'd like to use my name when you tell him about the card (Sean Linkenback), feel free to.
I don't think he will give you any problem about it.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Andylong677

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 05:55:04 PM »
Thanks,

Sent him a link to the article and mentioned that everyone has stated he is honourable, and it probably slipped him by.

Its a minefield, and I thought my coin collection was a nightmare to build on with the amount of fakes out there!
Andy

Offline Andylong677

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 05:58:38 PM »
I am the person who wrote that ebay guide, and unfortunately the card Morrie is selling is 100% fake.
Just like Bruce, Morrie deals in tons of material and sometimes things just slip by that aren't right.
Agree that he is 100% honorable and if you'd like to use my name when you tell him about the card (Sean Linkenback), feel free to.
I don't think he will give you any problem about it.

Great article by the way. Made everything very clear. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
Andy

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 06:29:14 PM »
Sorry I messed up.  I was totally unaware of fake Alien cards until today.

So much to keep track of.

FWIW, Morrie is apparently thinning his own collection.  The card I bought last week had his collection stamp and a bar code attached
-Jay-

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 12:24:31 AM »
Great article by the way. Made everything very clear. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Thank you for the nice words. I originally had very large photos to go with the article so it would have been much easier to see everything, but eBay resized everything after I uploaded it.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 08:21:21 AM »
There a list of these? If I remember right Blade Runner, Alien, Halloween , Scarface, Raiders,..?? I never did much with lobbies so never kept a running list of the suspect sets.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 08:27:18 AM »
There a list of these? If I remember right Blade Runner, Alien, Halloween , Scarface, Raiders,..?? I never did much with lobbies so never kept a running list of the suspect sets.

The list of the minty white ones can be found here
http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/NewSite/ADMIN/Problems/FAKES/MintyWhiteList.asp
-Jay-

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 08:32:17 AM »
I noticed that Morrie ended the auction right after Andy sent him the message.
-Jay-

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 12:09:02 PM »
The list of the minty white ones can be found here
http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/NewSite/ADMIN/Problems/FAKES/MintyWhiteList.asp

Thank you for the link.  I have had for a number of years a complete set of Grease lobby cards.  I paid about $100 for them and got them off eBay.  The cards are near mint.  That bothered me a little as I was used to very old cards, but I rationalized that given the more recent release of the film that the cards could be NM.  The other thing that I thought was odd was the thickness of the paper.  But, again I was used to very old cards and thought perhaps that accounted for the difference.  I have recently bought some Star Trek IV cards that are not as “thick”.  Do I have fake Grease cards or a nice set of originals?  I still don’t know but am somewhat concerned reading Grease was one of the movies for which many fakes were created.

Matthew

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 12:41:36 PM »
Are you sure the Grease cards aren't from the 1998 20th anniversary release?  Those are cheap and legit.
-Jay-

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 01:07:43 PM »
Are you sure the Grease cards aren't from the 1998 20th anniversary release?  Those are cheap and legit.

No, these cards are purportedly from the original.

Matthew

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:33:00 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 04:32:23 PM »
No, these cards are purportedly from the original.

Matthew

Then look at this page:
http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/NewSite/ADMIN/Problems/FAKES/MintyWhiteReport.asp

Bruce, owner of emovieposter.com wrote this up several years ago.  It describes the different texture on the back.  Compare this to the ST4 set.  Also, let us know the seller if you still have that info.  There are a couple that are notorious for this garbage.

Unfortunately, from what you have said, I expect you got burned.
-Jay-

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 08:04:54 PM »
Then look at this page:
http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/NewSite/ADMIN/Problems/FAKES/MintyWhiteReport.asp

Bruce, owner of emovieposter.com wrote this up several years ago.  It describes the different texture on the back.  Compare this to the ST4 set.  Also, let us know the seller if you still have that info.  There are a couple that are notorious for this garbage.

Unfortunately, from what you have said, I expect you got burned.

Jay, thanks.  I would say now an 80% chance they are fakes.  There is a local gentleman who is in the business of movie posters.  I will show them to him and see what he says.  To be out $100 is no fun, but at least it was not worse.  And I bought these cards a long time ago.  I may have the receipt in the filing cabinet somewhere.  I will dig through and see if I can find it and report back.

Matthew