Author Topic: Chinese Posters  (Read 3984 times)

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
Chinese Posters
« on: March 03, 2018, 10:08:37 AM »
I'm not sure why nobody has started this one yet. But I've come across some beautiful Chinese posters that maybe deserve some attention.

They are usually 75x105cm (so about quad size), single-sided, and quite thin. That makes them extremely prone to damage. If you thought quads are easy to damage, you haven't seen chinese posters.

The Hollywood titles generally follow a similar artwork, with some variations maybe, but there are some chinese movie designs that are really beautiful. Some examples here.

J

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
Re: Chinese Posters
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 10:36:56 AM »
Some nice designs. Do you own all of these?

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 11:14:16 AM »
Cool! I have a bunch of Hong Kong posters, but no Chinese.

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 10:26:47 PM »
Some nice designs. Do you own all of these?

No, but I can acquire them if I want to. It's just... I'm hesitant because they almost always come damaged and there are only certain sellers I am confident of working with.

The Mountains May Depart one, yes, because that's pretty cool. I like the tagline, which roughly translates to:
"Meeting an old friend from one's hometown, and all the scenery we saw hasn't changed (not necessarily that it hasn't changed all this while, but maybe also that the "small town" perspective hasn't changed - the way they look at things)." A little bit of a poetic and nostalgic feeling for me, and the multiple meanings in the Chinese language is truly fascinating. Beautiful language.
J

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 10:29:32 PM »
Cool! I have a bunch of Hong Kong posters, but no Chinese.

Hong Kong posters tend to feature stars, which I kind of... steer clear of. I like artistic and aesthetically pleasing posters more. But yea, some really cool one, like these:

J

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 11:06:38 PM »
Those Bruce Lee's are rolled bootlegs , most H.K rolled posters are fake  moron1 :'(

Would love to have Chan's Wheels on Meals but only seen fakes......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb-55MJ3ABk&index=8&list=PLhILsHS_uOWaiKrErdYcQBSiDB6PA7jAw (it's video #8)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:08:42 PM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 07:56:15 PM »
Those Bruce Lee's are rolled bootlegs , most H.K rolled posters are fake moron1 :'(

Would love to have Chan's Wheels on Meals but only seen fakes......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb-55MJ3ABk&index=8&list=PLhILsHS_uOWaiKrErdYcQBSiDB6PA7jAw (it's video #8)

Good to know and what to watch out for with those bootleg, HK posters.

Thanks for the info, Tang.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 03:58:21 AM »
Unfortunately there are a lot of fakes for older, more popular titles.

I don't own these, they're just images from the internet, so at least now members here know what to look out for!

J
J