Author Topic: [FS] Modern One Sheets on eBay  (Read 12101 times)

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
[FS] Modern One Sheets on eBay
« on: March 03, 2018, 08:59:19 AM »
Hi all,

I'm putting some of my used and new movie poster collection up on ebay for some ok starting prices. If you'd like any of them we could work something out. Just drop me a pm. Thanks!

J
J

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
J

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
Re: [FS] Modern One Sheets on eBay
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 10:40:56 AM »
Does your ‘James and the Giant Peach’ actually have that text across the bottom?

I’ve been looking for one like that, but whenever I check with the seller before I buy, I it turns out they used a stock image without checking the poster.

Thanks!

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 01:22:18 PM »
Love that Ghost in the Shell - sold!

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 09:16:44 PM »
Does your ‘James and the Giant Peach’ actually have that text across the bottom?

I’ve been looking for one like that, but whenever I check with the seller before I buy, I it turns out they used a stock image without checking the poster.

Thanks!

You're right! Honest mistake there. I should have checked it. For mint copies I usually just use a stock image to save some time. Most of the time my memory serves me well because I recall what I bought. This time it seems to have failed me, and I'm sorry to disappoint.

The only stock image I can find of the poster seems to be that one. I will photograph it and replace it soon.

Thanks again for alerting me on that.

Cheers,
J
J

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 09:17:28 PM »
Love that Ghost in the Shell - sold!

thumbsup.gif
J

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 10:40:22 PM »
You're right! Honest mistake there. I should have checked it. For mint copies I usually just use a stock image to save some time. Most of the time my memory serves me well because I recall what I bought. This time it seems to have failed me, and I'm sorry to disappoint.

The only stock image I can find of the poster seems to be that one. I will photograph it and replace it soon.

Thanks again for alerting me on that.

Cheers,
J

Do you use stock pics AFTER you have checked to make sure that the copy or copies you have are in the condition shown in your pic?

I would think that using a stock photo can run the risk of someone saying that the poster they received might have some (even slight or tiny) ding or other issue, upon its arrival, that the generic stock pic won't show, since the pic shown on the auction page is not the poster that will be sent.

Have you had any problems with this method?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 12:23:35 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 11:23:00 PM »
Do you use stock pics AFTER you have checked to make sure that the copy or copies you have are in the condition shown in your pic? I

would think that using a stock photo can run the risk of someone saying that the poster they received might have some (even slight or timy) ding or other issue, upon its arrival, that the generic stock pic won't show, since the pic shown on the auction page is not the poster that will be sent.

Have you had any problems with this method?

Yes I usually take the poster out to check its condition before listing it. I should have seen this one coming but I have been listing quite a few stuff so I wanted to save some time. No excuse here though. Probably should have been more careful.

Chances are usually that the stock photo is the design for the actual poster printed, but I am careful for designs that I know I did not acquire from the US, since the international designs usually have "In Cinemas Soon" instead of the date. That I'm most conscious of, and will always take a pic.

Otherwise, if it's a US poster, and I remember it being in the condition I bought it in, I pull it out to do an inspection and then put it back.

Regarding the flaws, I am very careful to list posters with notable flaws as they are. I hate receiving a poster back because "it's not in the condition described", and I could really save the trouble by being honest upfront. If I dare to use a stock image, that means I'm pretty confident that the poster is as new as it gets. If the buyer still has a problem with it, then I'll deal with it accordingly. So far no complaints.
J

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 11:40:21 PM »
Yeah.. some people will be ultra picky... especially with the new, modern stuff. If it's described as mint, they want it minty mint..lol

-Jeff

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 11:52:15 PM »
Not saying we should accept fraudulence, but if someone lists something as mint, I've come to be wary of the term.

As far as I'm concerned, it really is a "collector's term", meaning those who have been collecting know what's "mint" and and what's not, but hobbyists wouldn't really mind that one small nick. And for the collectors who demand "mint", they've probably been collecting long enough to know which sellers can offer that. If they're willing to experiment with me, they'll be rewarded.
J

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 05:08:37 AM »
No stock pics please.  EVER.

They have completely messed me up in the past.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 01:33:25 PM »
I'm with you on this, Simon.

I've never bought from a seller that use stock pics. One never knows what one might be getting when stock pix are used, no matter how much a seller describes a poster's condition.

I want to see an image of the actual item being offered for auction or sale, not a random pic gotten from the internet.

(And this is not me being critical of you, jtoh, just my general thought on the 'stock pic' subject).  :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:05:32 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 08:58:52 PM »
Personally I think it's a rather stringent rule. Maybe for the older stuff, yes. But for modern posters, a stock pic is not a dealbreaker for me.

Dale uses stock pics for quite a few listings, but when he says they're "mint", I believe him.

I agree that in an ideal situation sellers have the time, energy and resources to take pictures of every listing they have. But really, even with a good set-up and quick hands, it still takes 5-10 min to unroll, lay, snap, remove carefully, roll, then put it away. Rinse and repeat. Even for 100 listings you can tell how it adds up very quickly.

Another thing is, sometimes there are some slight dings or nick that simply cannot be captured on a camera, unless you're using a professional 24mp camera, a sharp lens, working with a 15MB RAW file. For a $5 poster, I honestly wouldn't go through that trouble.
J

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 05:01:33 AM »
Thanks for the clarification on the Giant Peach poster. I don't think this posters exists with the text across the bottom because this is the 5th time this has happened.

I can understand the reason for using a stock pic, but some collectors who are completists look for the smallest differences in posters that won't show up on a stock pic (unless it's the right one). Having been caught out like this before I always make sure I check first to avoid any disappointment.

And well done for updating your ebay auction!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:08:48 AM by skyjackers »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 05:08:31 AM »
With respect JT, I think you're missing a couple of points here.

One is quite simple, if you don't have the time to spend on taking a single solitary photo, what are the chances you're (one) is going to spend the time describing and packing it properly.  This just makes me wary.

Secondly, and most importantly for those who wish for more than just an image, and who may be interested in variations of the same poster, a stock image could in fact INcorrectly describe a poster.

To illustrate, below you will see all the variations of the Skyfall 1 sheet depicting Bond shooting in a reclining position.  These are those that were actually printed, and are in my collection.  I am aware that there may have been a stock image of this poster which instead of all the below, actually stated Coming Soon.  A Coming Soon poster was never printed.

So tell me now, how is a stock image not a deal breaker?  Because if I thought you had an alternate variation based on a digital stock image, and you sold me something I already had, I would be pissed.

SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - October
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - October in IMAX
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November in IMAX
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November 9
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November 9 - with Adele credit
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November 9 in IMAX
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - December
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - December in IMAX
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:09:49 AM by Simes »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 05:13:39 AM »
Seems Skyjackers and I were both tackling the same point.

Having perused your ebay link JT, I see you have one of the Skyfall posters in question up.  And, that it appears to be an actual photo of the actual poster (Unless you've used your same image from a previous sale...?)

All the best.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 05:15:13 AM »
I can see your point Simes because unfortunately, I collect in a very similar way to you. To be fair the auction has been updated with the correct pic and most of the listings are actual photos.

I've been caught out by this in the past and I'm sure you have too. Because of this I'm sure, as I do, you always check with the seller or request an actual photo.

Annoying, but as a completist part of the territory.

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 05:15:51 AM »
Thanks for the clarification on the Giant Peach poster. I don't think this posters exists with the text across the bottom because this is the 5th time this has happened.

I can understand the reason for using a stock pic, but some collectors who are completists look for the smallest differences in posters that won't show up on a stock pic (unless it's the right one). Having been caught out like this before I always make sure I check first to avoid any disappointment.

And well done for updating your ebay auction!

Yup was my mistake here. I updated it as soon as I could. Many thanks for pointing it out!

I'm sorry you didn't find a copy with that text. The orange does add a nice touch to the poster.
J

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 05:21:43 AM »
I can see your point Simes because unfortunately, I collect in a very similar way to you. To be fair the auction has been updated with the correct pic and most of the listings are actual photos.

I've been caught out by this in the past and I'm sure you have too. Because of this I'm sure, as I do, you always check with the seller or request an actual photo.

Annoying, but as a completist part, of the territory.

Yup, the bane of my life. 

But, as I suppose I have introduced myself to this way of life, it is up to me to manage it.  And one way is to sort threads like this out.  The other way, as you illustrate, is to ask and ask and ask again.

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 05:33:29 AM »
With respect JT, I think you're missing a couple of points here.

One is quite simple, if you don't have the time to spend on taking a single solitary photo, what are the chances you're (one) is going to spend the time describing and packing it properly.  This just makes me wary.

Secondly, and most importantly for those who wish for more than just an image, and who may be interested in variations of the same poster, a stock image could in fact INcorrectly describe a poster.

To illustrate, below you will see all the variations of the Skyfall 1 sheet depicting Bond shooting in a reclining position.  These are those that were actually printed, and are in my collection.  I am aware that there may have been a stock image of this poster which instead of all the below, actually stated Coming Soon.  A Coming Soon poster was never printed.

So tell me now, how is a stock image not a deal breaker?  Because if I thought you had an alternate variation based on a digital stock image, and you sold me something I already had, I would be pissed.

SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - October
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - October in IMAX
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November in IMAX
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November 9
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November 9 - with Adele credit
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - November 9 in IMAX
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - December
SF V2 US 1 Sheet - Bond lying down - December in IMAX

I am aware of this situation with the Skyfall posters, so yes, I took photos of them, and described all the flaws.

It is perfectly reasonable to have doubts about the actual image, of which a simple enquiry like Matt (skyjackers) did would clarify. If that's the case I graciously apologise, thank the person who pointed it out, and then replace the image promptly.

I also understand that if I didn't have the time to photograph that one poster it seems I shouldn't be trusted to describe and pack properly. To this I have nothing much to say. That is, if there is no trust, then there is no sale. Depending on how bad you want the poster, I'd say we both lose out, but that I can deal with.
J

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 05:54:52 AM »
Good man.  Appreciated.

All the best.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 09:59:05 AM »
Ok, my name got mentioned so I have to comment!

There are only about 3 buyers that care if the wording is NOVEMBER or NOVEMBER 9 and 2 of them have posted in this thread, so take those complaints with a grain of salt.  ;)

I dont think most people realize the amount of work involved if you were to take a picture of every poster you list.  When you have multiples on a title and sometimes the listing lasts 30 seconds, it is not worth the effort for 5.00, that is what the return option is for.  I realize stock photos are not for everyone, and if it is a higher end item or there are condition issues specific to a single poster, I will not use a stock pic and dont recommend it, otherwise... 

No condition issues means no condition issues, not sure why exactly a custom photo is needed to verify (unless one of the 3 people previously mentioned).

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 10:23:34 AM »
Horses for courses perhaps.  And I must admit that I am very likely indeed to be a part of a very weird minority.

That said, taking images of the actual poster being sold does seem to be the standard practice of the respected emp and Heritage...

But, your points are noted.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 12:34:03 PM »
Just to point our Dale, if you're saying I'm one of the two who complained then you're wrong.

I asked a question first so I didn't have to complain later 😛

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 12:10:23 PM »
Unsold stuff are now all fixed price items. Added some new ones. Will add more tomorrow!
J