Author Topic: March 2018  (Read 16819 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: March 2018
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 01:23:42 AM »
Im the same way, Ben. Id do the least amount of work needed --  to support, conserve and repair the weak areas or splits and nothing more.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 08:18:18 PM »
I just received this in the mail today.  I bought it off of Ebay.  Not so much for the poster but because I wanted to see firsthand the size of a 3 Sheet.  I LOVE this size of poster.  I like it much better than the OS.  Must get more.  (Sorry for the bad link. I am trying to figure out how to post it).  I will keep trying.
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a516/Mattsw6/IMG_0771_zpsf0hjfs3z.jpg

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:24:50 PM by mattsw »

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2018, 09:22:16 PM »
I just received this in the mail today.  I bought it off of Ebay.  Not so much for the poster but because I wanted to see firsthand the size of a 3 Sheet.  I LOVE this size of poster.  I like it much better than the OS.  Must get more.  (Sorry for the bad link. I am trying to figure out how to post it).  I will keep trying.

Hi Matt,

You've been bit by the new photbucket policy.   Unless you give them a bucket full of cash, they won't show anyone else your images.  We just get to see that nasty speedometer.
-Jay-

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 04:29:22 AM »
I use Post Image...

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 06:47:25 AM »
Thanks for letting me know about Photobucket so that I did not try 50 more combinations trying to get it to work.  And I will try Post Image.  Thank you.

Matthew

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2018, 07:21:21 AM »

You've been bit by the new photobucket policy.   Unless you give them a bucket full of cash, they won't show anyone else your images.  We just get to see that nasty speedometer.

When they dropped their demand from $400 pa to $100 pa I thought that reasonable and re-joined. The bonus was that all the images in my library were still there which means that my historic threads on this forum now show images again.

Mark

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2018, 10:27:29 AM »

Let me try this again:

https://i2.wp.com/www.beforetalkies.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/IMG_0771_zpsf0hjfs3z.jpg?resize=225%2C300&ssl=1

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 12:47:52 PM by erik1925 »

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2018, 04:01:42 PM »
nice
-Jay-

Offline Desk

• Beginner
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2018, 09:34:23 AM »
I'm new to the forum and have quite a few recent acquisitions which I'll look to share when I get them unpacked and laid out.

However, I thought I'd post my most recent, and most painful, purchase - a mint, rolled 1976 King Kong advance one sheet bought off eBay. When I saw the tube I knew I was likely in for trouble.

It was a sturdy enough tube, so i figured that whatever crushed it during transit from the US must have been heavy... Maybe the wheel of the aircraft?

Right enough, opening it up I could immediately see the poster was bashed, but worse still there was a tear at the top. Further inspection showed some creases running down a poster which had remained in mint condition for over forty years - and which is seared into my memory from having seen it promoting the film while holidaying as a child.

Fortunately, it was shipped through, eBay's own global economy shipping service. Upon seeing the pictures they immediately apologised and provided me a refund on both the poster plus shipping/customs charges.

Even more fortunately, the seller, who's a really nice guy, had another one of these for sale in the same condition, so I've bought it. He's kindly going to look into placing the poster in a tube inside the tube, to offer more protection. Does this seem like a good idea?

I now have a damaged 1976 King Kong that I've been told by eBay that I don't need to return, and is still displayable, but I'm just glad to have a mint one on the way and will breathe easy when it's here and framed.

Desk

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:59:28 AM by Desk »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2018, 12:32:35 PM »
A lot of sellers have no idea what they're doing.  What he needs to do is roll the poster tighter than the tube so that the poster doesn't touch the inside of the tube.  It's not that difficult and will prevent most damages.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »
Whta is interesting from your pics, too, Desk, is that the tube was pierced as well as crushed, with that tube damage enough to cause that tear in the poster, rather than the poster being just dinged at the top.

But im certainly happy to hear that A: the shipping program refunded you your purchase price AND allowed you to keep the poster (no dealing with having to mail it back) and B; that the seller had another copy.

You mention that you had to buy the second copy. Could you also have mailed the damaged copy back (seller of global program having to pay for a return shipping label) and would the seller have then sent you the undamaged copy for no charge?

Since it arrived damaged & not as described, you could have maybe gone that route, too?

But all's well that ends well. And nice poster, too!  clap clap.

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2018, 08:46:32 PM »
This is mentioned elsewhere, but as T (eatbrie) says, the tighter rolling is key otherwise any dent of the tube gets translated to the poster.

What has also been discussed is that when dealing with a seller unknown to you, I, and T, and I daresay others, bullet point the request as to exactly how to pack.

Be it luck or what, but I now rarely have such problems...

Glad it was all refunded.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2018, 10:26:38 PM »
Another problem here is eBay's GSP.  Once the package gets to the GSP distribution centre from the seller it is quite often repacked ineptly by the GSP employees.  I had a daybill FOLDED vertically across the centre to fit inside a small envelop thanks to the GSP morons...ugh
Chris

Offline Ba517401

• Beginner
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2018, 01:32:08 AM »
Lovely poster Antoine

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 12:40:46 PM »
Another problem here is eBay's GSP.  Once the package gets to the GSP distribution centre from the seller it is quite often repacked ineptly by the GSP employees.  I had a daybill FOLDED vertically across the centre to fit inside a small envelop thanks to the GSP morons...ugh

I'd love to know what gives them the option of opening another person's parcel for this "repackaging" in the first place? Must be in their fine print somewhere. And you'd think if enough damage complaints came thru, this would no longer be allowed, anyway. (I'm sure the GSP has been talked about up in the other boards, too - either the shipping or seller round table).

-Jeff

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2018, 04:15:32 AM »
After my purchase of the US one-sheet for The Mummy's Curse (1944) last month, I received today the 3-sheet for that same movie.  There are obviously some condition issues, but I feel that they're not too distracting, as most of the damage is in the credit area.
Love it. Great pickup.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2018, 06:05:18 AM »

Several years of perusing these boards and I figure I've heard and read it all...

Not so, evidently.

I do ask now if sellers advertising this method of posting would consider shipping themselves - I have to weigh it all up; pros and cons if to go ahead and bid or not.

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2018, 10:08:26 AM »
Thanks Randy and Ba517401!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2018, 05:01:57 PM »
its been a while & tbh at this time of the year theres nothing really coming in crying
I have picked up a few thou which is nice!

Man in the White Suit - 80's re-release but came direct from Studio Canal who are clearing the decks! Even came with a letter.
The Man in the White Suit - 80's Re-Release by michael reeve, on Flickr
image by michael reeve, on Flickr

How cool that this quad came with that letter from StudioCanal, Mike.

A nice, added touch, for sure!

-Jeff

Offline Andylong677

• Beginner
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2018, 01:32:51 PM »
Hi all,

Finally made my first purchase. Picked up this Australian Daybill of The Long Hot Summer. Quite pleased with it. Although I did panic a bit when I measured it and found it was slightly wider than 13". But then did a search on the forum and found that Australian Daybills seem to be hit and miss with the sizes.

If you spot anything wrong with the poster please let me know, as I am always looking for advice.

Also forgive the photography - first attempt, thanks.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 02:01:19 PM by Andylong677 »
Andy

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2018, 01:45:03 PM »
Looks in really nice condition, too!

Congrats on the first pick-up, Andy!! clap clap

-Jeff

Offline Andylong677

• Beginner
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2018, 02:15:38 PM »
Looks in really nice condition, too!

Congrats on the first pick-up, Andy!! clap clap

Thanks Jeff
Andy

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2018, 03:21:14 PM »
Looks A-OK to me.  Welcome to the wonderful world of daybills!  ;D
Chris

Offline Andylong677

• Beginner
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2018, 07:19:13 AM »
Thanks Chris

Andy
Andy

Offline Desk

• Beginner
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2018, 04:19:26 PM »
Just a few posts above I shared the tale of woe about my King Kong 1976 one sheet which arrived mangled courtesy of eBay's Global Shipping System.

Well, unbelievably I'm now two-for-two.

Following a refund from eBay themselves, today the replacement arrived, again in a pretty sturdy tube, rolled tighter inside in paper, and again the poster itself had sustained damage.

No tear this time, but a big bash which has translated into creases and bashes the length of the poster. The damage can be viewed here... http://imgur.com/a/DLlW3

I wish I'd read the postings here about the perils of eBay's Global Shipping System before going ahead with the replacement. I'm not sure how eBay will handle this, because from my perspective this is not the mint poster I paid a good bit of money for, but needless to say I'll not be buying anything in get future which ships through eBay's Global Shipping System! 

Desk
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 04:20:44 PM by Desk »