Author Topic: Regular or Advance 1-sheet?  (Read 6708 times)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
Regular or Advance 1-sheet?
« on: February 27, 2018, 11:33:32 AM »
Given a choice, at the same purchase price, is it more desirable to get a regular release 1-sheet with cast and crew info, or an advance copy with less text at the bottom with the same image? Is it more of a personal preference, or does it depend on the film?  Is the same advance or teaser image always released later as a regular version?

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Re: Regular or Advance 1-sheet?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 12:11:24 PM »
To me it is preference. As the art comes first, less cluttered is usually my choice though there can be exceptions. As examples, a Rocketeer advance I like better without credits
 whereas a NoES quad, though they did not make a no credit advance that I know of, looks better with the credits to me after seeing some prints without them. Though there is a huge value difference it is the same with the Chantrell SW quad, I do not like the big blank area to the right compared to the second one which has the Oscar text. Both have credits on that one though.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:13:42 PM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 01:03:14 PM »
As I'm new to this, I initially assumed the "regular" version was somehow more "legitimate" and collectable, I suppose. In many cases though I like the less cluttered look as well. I've read on movieart.com that the advance versions are often produced in fewer numbers and should be more rare, but I see far more advance/teaser versions on eBay and EMP and the prices of both versions seem to be about the same, as long as they're double-sided. Thanks for your take on the subject - I wanted a few collector's thoughts here before buying.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 05:41:48 PM »
I can speak to the past 25 years or so for distributed stuff. The number sent out in general are the same. Recently studios are starting to not send out rated finals if the poster is unchanged art wise from what was sent out.  Not always, but it has been happening more and more of late.

Advertising budget will often drive whether a new style is put out for the final or not. This also varies greatly from studio to studio. Lionsgate is by far the best marketer using paper these days. They still print up a bunch of different posters for many of their films. Paramount, WB, and Universal are getting pretty lazy, and will just print up the same poster with credits often unless it is a big budget summer film.  Sony is kind of split down the middle. A lot of their finals these days though, have just a ratings box and no credits block.  Disney is pretty good about doing an advance and final for anything they expect to do 100Mil or better, same with Fox.   Indies, you normally will get 1 poster, unless distribution of the title changes at some point, then you will get another rebadged, and often different art.

Desire.. up to each buyer, nice looking posters sell crappy art doesnt!  Some only buy advances,some only buy rated/credit block finals.  Everyone has their own preference.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 09:48:18 PM »
Thanks - that's a huge help. I'll not be tempted to shy away from nice advance versions now. Double-sided posters do seem to command a higher price, and I'd like to put up a light box eventually, so I'll try to choose those if possible. It would seem that it's much harder to fake DS posters as well.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 10:30:41 PM »
The vast majority of posters produced today, whether they be advances or first release posters are double sided, so that they can be used in theater lobby light boxes.

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 10:52:11 PM »
I thought that should be the case, but I'm finding single sided versions of the same image fairly often from reliable sellers. On a whim, I've started collecting Kate Beckinsale Underworld 1-sheets - I've found single and double sided versions that seem to be authentic. I like the films, but in this case it's more about the actress...
T has Bardot - I have Kate.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:55:44 PM by Dr Bill »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 04:01:50 PM »
I thought that should be the case, but I'm finding single sided versions of the same image fairly often from reliable sellers. On a whim, I've started collecting Kate Beckinsale Underworld 1-sheets - I've found single and double sided versions that seem to be authentic. I like the films, but in this case it's more about the actress...
T has Bardot - I have Kate.

which better? as was said preciously, it's a preference. You can always got for both ;-)

DS, SS

while DS posters are generally for lightboxed display, there are other uses for posters, like wilding and international distribution

wilding posters (posted to construction sites and walls) only have to be single sided and many international markets do not have lightbox displays

being SS does not mean it isn't a legitimate poster, though many people frequently think they are fake without understanding

I have both DS and SS posters for the same titles as can be seen on my site and if you study them, there are differences which show why they may be SS

also, a minority of US theatres also don't have lightbox displays, and they may order SS posters

advertising agencies that get promotional material generally get only SS posters also

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 04:39:47 PM »
Thanks, Richard. Great information. I'd like to get a lightbox, so I'm trying to stay with DS posters.

Order placed with MPB for another Beckinsale!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 02:47:39 PM »
Thanks, Richard. Great information. I'd like to get a lightbox, so I'm trying to stay with DS posters.

Order placed with MPB for another Beckinsale!

got it.. should be out tomorrow
:-)
thanks!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------