Author Topic: Movie Poster Authenticating  (Read 14362 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Movie Poster Authenticating
« on: December 19, 2009, 02:22:51 PM »
What better way to start this thread than with Jeannie's authentication website...

http://movieposterauthenticating.com/Movie%20Poster%20Authenticating.html

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

kauaitx

Re: Movie Poster Authenticating
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 03:58:26 PM »

MPA belongs to everyone and was created to be so.   

(I just rule it with an iron fist. ;D )

There's a new section that will be created on MPA that will provide alerts to reproductions which we have not been able to do a full authentication on.  There are known discussions of repros, but when side-by-side comparisons cannot be done and instead the information relies on a third-party source, that poster under scrutiny will be posted in this new section. 

This new section is being created because I realize that people want to see what has been discovered and what conclusions have been reached even when a complete authentication has not been done yet or, for whatever reason, some missing piece of information keeps an authentication from being publishable.  There are a few that have been sitting in MPA under wraps because certain issues could not be resolved to make the information an authentication that could be published on MPA.   This section is still being worked out. 

Thanks,
Jeannie

movieposterauthenticating.com

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 07:56:15 AM »
sounds like a useful new section you are adding.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 10:36:53 PM »
Bumping up the MPA thread so others who haven't looked or were not aware, could take a view.

-Jeff

Bruce

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 06:33:44 AM »
Is this site now abandoned? That is a shame.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 06:34:56 AM »
Maybe Jeannie will let someone take over (least until she has time/interest again)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 10:32:55 AM »
That was one of the first meaningful sites I ran into. Though I only had I could authenticate there, reading through some of the other authentications helped me with an understanding of things.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 06:34:12 PM »
And Jeannie's a good egg, to boot, too. She was always willing to help and discuss.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 10:41:31 PM »
Too bad she's too busy with her Stargate SG1 authentication site ;)
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 08:41:54 AM »
Maybe she could hand it over the info/photos to Mel who already has a budding authentication section on his site...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 02:36:36 PM »
Maybe she could hand it over the info/photos to Mel who already has a budding authentication section on his site...

I link to that site and that's it.

The sites are very different and she would never hand them over anyway. Jeannie would say I'm an amateur. I would say her standards are unrealistic and excessively formal and contributed to MPA going into its faded state.

IMHO authentications should be tailored to newbies, with minimal text, and maximum pics. MPA is the opposite.

Also MPA should not have been built in Wordpress. The authentications themselves are excellent but obscured on the site.

Not trying to be overly negative and it's not an ego thing. I think MPA was too ambitious - they initially were discussing 100+ authentications - and they just got burned out trying too much and with unrealistic scholarly standards. Authentications are not rocket science, after all.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:11:35 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 04:08:10 PM »
Too bad she's too busy with her Stargate SG1 authentication site ;)

Maybe she will come back one day and revamp her great site with the help of the initial authenticators. It's hard to say.

Never say never, right, Chris?  ;)

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 09:37:18 PM »
Rich blew it when he posted a certain pic of her, chased her off and out of Poster World forever....
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 09:39:28 PM »
the dreaded white bikini?
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 09:47:21 PM »
IMHO authentications should be tailored to newbies, with minimal text, and maximum pics. MPA is the opposite.

Sorry. Like I said before, it was one of the first sites I ran into and it is NOT newbie difficult at all. Quite the opposite, reading those authentications contributed to the cheap part of the never ending poster education.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 09:50:33 PM »
the authentications were done and submitted, I don't recall Jeannie saying they had to be text heavy, mine sure wasn't. 3 images and some writings on the differences. I haven't read any of them for a LONG time, so I forget now.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 10:32:37 PM »
Sorry. Like I said before, it was one of the first sites I ran into and it is NOT newbie difficult at all. Quite the opposite, reading those authentications contributed to the cheap part of the never ending poster education.

Exactly, Zorba. Well said.

Text is crucial in explaining what one (especially a newbie) should be looking for in the images provided, especially if there are subtleties or minor variations that may be overlooked in pictures alone. ;)

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 12:37:55 AM »
So I took an hour and a half tonight to build a new Spiderman authentication on MPC.  As you can see, my version uses minimal text, large pictures, and gets straight to the crucial difference between originals and bootlegs: "IS THE REVERSE WHITER/LIGHTER THAN THE FRONT."  Everything else - background of poster, other differentiating features - is extraneous.  You can read this authentication in three minutes and have the essential knowledge to beat the poster fraudsters.

By contrast, the MPA version is commendably comprehensive and scholarly but is very texty, uses small pics (which can be enlarged), and has more background and extraneous information than most people need.  After reading it, you might not realize that the key difference is the whiter/lighter reverse.  The design is also less than ideal because the right and left of the screen are filled with statistics and links to other authentications (and blank space lower down the page).

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:41:30 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 01:20:18 AM »
Nice job, Mel.  thumbup

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 05:15:34 AM »
That'll work until it doesn't...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 08:36:25 AM »
Nice job, Mel.  thumbup

Yes he did. Never said there was anythiing wrong with his. Mel does do some good work and I would like to see him do as many as possible. Keep em coming.

The regular Pulp Fiction one seems broken. It links back to the thread here and the pics dont show up anymore. Maybe just on my pc?

guest8

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 09:05:02 AM »
I appreciate the simplicity of Mel's approach and do prefer it. But, I would like to have all of the available info. We never know if we may run across a framed poster and the seller refuses to pull it for photos or something of that nature. So having a few more authentication photos and a couple sentences about "the cab" being cropped out or the lack of the word "sale" on the fakes could be even more helpful in the long run.

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »

I kind of miss the antics of the bipolar dr. nuckinfuts evilwoman........whatever happened to her?  :-*

Bruce

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 12:22:33 PM »
If that won't raise her from the dead, nothing will!

jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 01:40:04 PM »
If that won't raise her from the dead, nothing will!

jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop

;D
Chris