Author Topic: Recommended Linen Backer + removing pencil marks?  (Read 4545 times)

Offline shadytrade

• Beginner
Recommended Linen Backer + removing pencil marks?
« on: February 17, 2018, 08:51:33 PM »
Hi all,

I have a couple of posters in need of linen backing. Some are in better shape than others.

For example, I recently managed to get a copy of Get Carter (Spanish) for a bargain price but the corner was cut and removed for some reason, but it fits perfectly back into place. So the linen backing would be used to just hold it together.

I also have another Russian poster from 1940 which turned out to have writing marks on the front in pencil, can anyone recommend a way to remove it?

Has anyone used a Linen backer recently? Can anyone recommend one in UK/EU/USA?

I know people here generally suggest not using Linen backing, but I think it should be OK if its just to hold the paper together.

Thanks for your help!
Duck you sucker!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Recommended Linen Backer + removing pencil marks?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 10:33:21 PM »
Hey Calvin, What size is the corner piece that came off your poster? If it's small, and the rest of the poster is fine, linen backing might be overkill for just that one issue. You could purchase some archival tape and re-attach this corner piece yourself.

A soft artists' eraser, could do the trick with the pencil marks. Just be gentle and take your time, and the marks should come off. I just did this on a poster I got recently that had pencil writing. The eraser worked like a charm.

Restorers...  a few that come to mind:

Mario Cueva (southern California) at http://www.lumiereposterrestoration.com/

Dan Miles in Canada at http://www.backingtothefuture.com/

John Davis and his team @ Poster Mountain (so CA) - http://www.postermountain.com/

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:27:45 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline shadytrade

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 10:30:31 AM »

Thanks - I dropped Mario an email. The corner isn't huge but there is also some slight damage in the middle which could be restored. I need to go through the rest of collection but I'm sure I have some others in similar condition.

Which kind of eraser did you use? Some people recommend putty eraser.
Duck you sucker!

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 12:26:14 PM »
I would avoid Mario if you care about getting your poster back in a timely manner, and also if you care about the quality of the work. I had a really bad experience a few years ago and the poster was basically a total loss (a 1920s one of a kind window card). I had to email him for 3 months, rarely getting a response, and when I finally received the poster, he had just painted the entire piece (and not even the color that it was originally). The piece wasn’t even glued properly to the backing board, and was falling off in multiple places. Truly awful work. Other people have had major issues as well with him.

Use Fourth Cone Restoration. They are top-notch, work quickly and are collaborative about what is being done. You won’t regret it!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 12:26:34 PM »
Its a very soft, white colored artists gum eraser. Its shaped like a small rectangle. Much softer than the eraser on the end of a pencil. I just lightly went over the pencil writing on my poster. I would do a little, than brush away the small residue and continue if some writing was still there. The poser I was working on is a flat (non glossy) paper & on a white area of the background.

I took my time as I also didnt want to rub so hard that eraser marks were made - meaning areas that could have turned more white from pressing too hard, as this poster is about 45 years old, and has the very slightest bit of age patina, too.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 12:36:03 PM »
Thanks - I dropped Mario an email. The corner isn't huge but there is also some slight damage in the middle which could be restored. I need to go through the rest of collection but I'm sure I have some others in similar condition.

Which kind of eraser did you use? Some people recommend putty eraser.

Could you maybe post a pic of the poster and the damaged corner?

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 12:48:57 PM »
A soft artists' eraser, could do the trick with the pencil marks. Just be gentle and take your time, and the marks should come off. I just did this on a poster I got recently that had pencil writing. The eraser worked like a charm.

In addition to the eraser, you can blend grime from larger areas using a dry cleaning pad
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O4I3EI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been successful with this for blending in an area cleaned with an art gum eraser and the surrounding area.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 01:04:23 PM »
Or using crumbled artists eraser to remove areas of surface dirt. Cool video (there's no sound, tho):

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xbKb8NZcc5o" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xbKb8NZcc5o</a>

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 11:56:18 AM »
agree.
The dry cleaning pad is basically powdered art gum eraser in a woven sleeve.  The instruction say to work it until the powder starts appearing on the outside.

At only $6, I find it worthwhile to avoid having to crumble one and to deal with a mess.  They last a long time.
-Jay-

Offline roddyq

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 04:43:09 PM »
Its a very soft, white colored artists gum eraser. Its shaped like a small rectangle. Much softer than the eraser on the end of a pencil. I just lightly went over the pencil writing on my poster. I would do a little, than brush away the small residue and continue if some writing was still there. The poser I was working on is a flat (non glossy) paper & on a white area of the background.

I took my time as I also didnt want to rub so hard that eraser marks were made - meaning areas that could have turned more white from pressing too hard, as this poster is about 45 years old, and has the very slightest bit of age patina, too.

I have been reading a little bit about types of erasers and this artists gum eraser sounds like a good way to remove pencil marks. I wonder if it will also work on removing smudges, and crayon marks.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 04:45:13 PM by erik1925 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 05:22:39 PM »
I have been reading a little bit about types of erasers and this artists gum eraser sounds like a good way to remove pencil marks. I wonder if it will also work on removing smudges, and crayon marks.

I think I'd research a little more into the removal of crayon marks and smudges with a gum eraser. With crayons being petroleum-based (and also depending on what the smudge is made of), an eraser might just cause the crayon marks to smear, spread out or embed the marks more into the paper.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 06:12:07 PM »
The Crayola website isnt much help but suggests a kneadable eraser might "help" with crayon removal from paper:

http://www.crayola.com/faq/stain-removal-tips/how-can-i-remove-crayon-marks-from-paper/

-Jeff