Common Poster Subjects > Photography & Digital Imagery

"Fixing" Light Levels in MP Images?

(1/4) > >>

guest4955:
Had a bit of an esoteric discussion with a dealer, Poster Mountain's John Davis, and an APFer (er, for lack of a better term).

I've been using Photoshop Elements (90% as powerful as PShop, 20% of the price) since the 90s. I've read several PShop books and learned some fancy tricks but the 1st lesson is always "Correcting Light Levels." Many photos are underlit and a few are overlit. "Correction" is easy:

Hit "auto levels" or manually slide the adjuster to the edge of the "shadow mountain":

The same function is in every other photo program/app as well:

As far as I know, you're not distorting or misrepresenting an MP image by doing this, just turning on the lights ... digitally. If a photography expert says otherwise, post it.

But votes are 3-0 against me, Davis has switched:

What sayest thou?

oldposterho:
It would be interesting to see a zoom from a full poster photo into a known defect with a before and after shot side by side.  I generally have no problem with digital manipulations as long as it doesn't cover/disguise problems. This did improve the pictures here.

MoviePosterBid.com:
when publishing images for auctions, I don't have time for this
when publishing images in books (like the ones I'm working on) the images need to be corrected

erik1925:

--- Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com on February 07, 2018, 04:09:16 PM ---when publishing images for auctions, I don't have time for this
when publishing images in books (like the ones I'm working on) the images need to be corrected

--- End quote ---

Makes total sense to "polish up" images that may need some work, Rich.  thumbsup.gif

But to take, for example, a poster image from the 1920s, 30s or 40s, and rework the levels so that the borders look minty white (when the paper they were printed on wasn't even that brilliant white shade when fresh off the press), can make a vintage poster look like a modern repro that was printed on 21st C glossy, snow white paper. And that, imho, is not an accurate depiction.

MoviePosterBid.com:

--- Quote from: erik1925 on February 07, 2018, 04:14:11 PM ---Makes total sense to "polish up" images that may need some work, Rich.  thumbsup.gif

But to take, for example, a poster image from the 1920s, 30s or 40s, and rework the levels so that the borders look minty white (when the paper they were printed on wasn't even that brilliant white shade when fresh off the press), can make a vintage poster look like a modern repro that was printed on 21st C glossy, snow white paper. And that, imho, is not an accurate depiction.

--- End quote ---

when selling, it is best to have the image reflect what an item looks like in real life

when publishing, the images need to look clean. crisp & new. Who cares if the book publication makes it look nm, it's not for sale, it's for reference

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version