Author Topic: Your favorite fine art....  (Read 8760 times)

guest4955

Your favorite fine art....
« on: February 06, 2018, 12:01:33 PM »
When I lived in DC, I occasionally mosied into the many art museums ... and only liked 5-10% of the art. Religious art, boring art, ridiculous abstract modern are not for me.

But I'll post a few of what I do like ... and maybe you'll join in.

Imma sucker for ancient scenes:

Photo of the real "Madame X":

Anything "by" Lichtenstein and he blatantly pilfered:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Your favorite fine art....
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »
Two probably come to mind, and they're both related to my father.

The first one is a Degas that he sold to the Getty Museum when it was still in Malibu.  Loved it since I was a kid.  I remember telling my Dad that what I saw was a picture of a young ballerina who hurt her ankle, then the same ballerina as an old woman with her dreams shattered (thus wearing black), then the same ballerina dead (empty bench).  My Dad said, nope, Degas saw, he painted.  End of story :)

The second one is a Caillebotte from the Art Institute in Chicago.  My father and his partner were instrumental in bringing Caillebotte to the forefront of the Impressionist movement back in the 60s.  Because Caillebotte was a rich man, he was never considered a real Impressionist.  I have so many stories about that.

I also did a summer job at the Art Institute when I was a teen.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 05:13:58 PM »
There are so many to choose from, but amongst my favorite are those 3:

The Rest on the Flight into Egypt, an early work by Caravaggio from the collection of the great Doria-Pamphilj in Rome, so lyrical I could spend hours staring at it.

The Cheat with the Ace of Diamonds by the great 17th century painter from Lorraine, Georges de la Tour, one of the highlights of the Louvre.

Isle of the Dead by the Swiss Arnold Bocklin, which he painted several times between 1880 and 1886, my favorite version is the one that comes from the Metropolitan Museum in NYC, so moody and melancholy.  (Ridley Scott made a visual reference to it in Alien: Covenant).

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 05:41:56 PM »
I'm really liking the mood and atmosphere on the Island of the Dead, Ben. Along with the boat with the tall, stark figure in white.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 05:46:34 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 01:46:38 PM »
These speak to me at a cellular level, ya feel?

guest4955

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 03:23:57 PM »

guest4955

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 02:55:41 AM »

Hang Yuanqing

Daniel Zacroczemski (NYT article)

Jackson Pollock

I designed this in 2012, my 75 MP frames were popular but other showcased apts had fine art: