Author Topic: Poster Frame Suggestions?  (Read 10292 times)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
Poster Frame Suggestions?
« on: February 02, 2018, 08:29:15 PM »
I'm about to hang my first 1-sheet and have looked at both Hollywood Poster Frames and Spotlight Displays web sites. Any suggestions for which you are most happy with? Differences in the look and quality, or ease of hanging?

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: Poster Frame Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 01:27:40 PM »
Hi Dr. Bill,. I've had good luck with both Hollywood Poster Frames and Spotlight Displays.  Both Sue at Hollywood and Robert at Spotlight have provided me with great customer service.  So, it depends on the features you like.  Hollywood is sturdy, easy to hang and Sue has several options for archival protection.  From Hollywood for a one sheet, I like the Deluxe frame with non-glare UV plexiglass.

For Spotlight Displays, the price is really nice, especially when framing large posters.  I like that the front can open completely and you can change out and store multiple posters in the frame.  The frames are designed to mount to your wall, though I like to drill two new holes in the frame lower down.  Through these holes, I take threaded eyelets (trimmed to size; the trick trimming threaded eyelets is screw the nut on first, trim, and then unscrew the nut back off) and add a nut and washer.  Then I attach framing wire through the eyelets and hang on normal frame hangers. 

Hope this helps

Okie

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 03:29:47 PM by okiehawker »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 01:40:25 PM »
Hey Dr Bill,

Robert from Spotlight Displays is also a forum member here. His profile here:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=4178

In case you wanted to ask him anything directly, too.

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 02:00:33 PM »
Hmm, I've bought 20+ SD frames and 70+ frames from HPF.

My advice:
- HPF frames are the better choice for 40x30 and smaller. The plexiglass can't be beat, they look more professional, and it's easy and quick to rotate MPs.
- SD frames are great too, but really for larger sizes OR if you just want the convenience of a snapper.
- Ignore any instructions/advice about precisely nailing the hanging nails. For both SD/HPF, just nail two nails a foot apart and hang the frame directly on the nails. That will allow you to adjust and change sizes.
- Don't even think about using the HPF hanging wire. 100% chance it will permanently ruin the poster from wave compressions.
- Likewise, don't use spring clips with HPF to hold the poster in place = permanent wave compressions. Just use one at the top center.
- Buy the economy APFs, don't need Archive unless you - not-so-smartly - expose your frame to direct sunlight.

More: http://moviepostercollectors.guide/Framing_%26_Displaying_%26_Storing.html

Gazillions of pics:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/MoviePosterCollectors/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1938634233087177

https://www.facebook.com/pg/MoviePosterCollectors/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1936000636683870

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 06:58:45 PM »
Thanks very much for all your replies. All of them were very helpful. I like the slightly narrower width of the Economy or Archival HPF frames, but have not found an actual description of how to fasten the poster into the frame. I get the SD flip frame idea, and it seems like a good one, but I doubt I'll be changing posters that often, and the frames are wider. I've seen cheap poster frames that use bent pieces or metal wedged between the backing and the edge of the frame at intervals along the back of the frame, but I doubt the pressure points would reliably keep the poster flat and undamaged. Is there a way to find instructions for how to frame a poster with an HPF frame? I don't see any on their site.

Mel, much of the look I like is from viewing your poster displays in your threads. An amazing collection of gorgeous posters. In fact, I had stepped away from collecting lobby cards for a while due to all the fakes out there (and my newbie inability to detect them), but your displays have tempted me to at least dip my toe into the 1-sheet water. I've found a 1990 Cinema Paradiso 1-sheet (thanks to EMP), a long-time favorite film, and have to display it. A special thanks to you for helping to renew my interest in the hobby!

guest4955

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 08:26:20 PM »
Thanks very much for all your replies. All of them were very helpful. I like the slightly narrower width of the Economy or Archival HPF frames, but have not found an actual description of how to fasten the poster into the frame. I get the SD flip frame idea, and it seems like a good one, but I doubt I'll be changing posters that often, and the frames are wider. I've seen cheap poster frames that use bent pieces or metal wedged between the backing and the edge of the frame at intervals along the back of the frame, but I doubt the pressure points would reliably keep the poster flat and undamaged. Is there a way to find instructions for how to frame a poster with an HPF frame? I don't see any on their site.

Mel, much of the look I like is from viewing your poster displays in your threads. An amazing collection of gorgeous posters. In fact, I had stepped away from collecting lobby cards for a while due to all the fakes out there (and my newbie inability to detect them), but your displays have tempted me to at least dip my toe into the 1-sheet water. I've found a 1990 Cinema Paradiso 1-sheet (thanks to EMP), a long-time favorite film, and have to display it. A special thanks to you for helping to renew my interest in the hobby!

Thanks I happen to have 5 "homeless" HPF frames and this is the back:

Loosen the four screws "in the middle" and NEVER loosen the other four.

Pry the short bars off the long bar and then remove the long bars..

Flip the backing board and lay the poster facing up.

Lay the plexiglass on top.

Flip the whole thingy.

Attach the long slide bars.

Slide the short bars into the grooves of the long bars.

Tighten the loose screws.

Only 2 mins.

How are they creating good fake LCs?

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 09:27:14 PM »

Ask tloce and bradburied. I was burned by each of them when I first started collecting. I'm also finding that a lot of the French and German LC sets I bought seem to be from an inexhaustible supply on ebay. Either the sellers have piles of the same original sets, or no one buys them except me, or they're making them as they need them. I began to suspect anything and everything I have so far are possible fakes. A bit of the remorse is the money, but I hate feeling like a clueless rube even more. And the attraction for me was to own a bit of movie history. I'm definitely no more experienced with 1-sheets (even less), but avoiding ebay and moving more to auction houses like EMP give me a least a bit more confidence. The new Cinema Paradiso is beautiful, and in much better condition (to my eyes) than Bruce graded it.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 09:30:15 PM »
Thanks I happen to have 5 "homeless" HPF frames and this is the back:

Loosen the four screws "in the middle" and NEVER loosen the other four.

Pry the short bars off the long bar and then remove the long bars..

Flip the backing board and lay the poster facing up.

Lay the plexiglass on top.

Flip the whole thingy.

Attach the long slide bars.

Slide the short bars into the grooves of the long bars.

Tighten the loose screws.

Only 2 mins.

This is perfect - exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks so much. I think I'll go with the archival non-glare one.

guest4955

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 06:24:23 AM »
Ask tloce and bradburied. I was burned by each of them when I first started collecting. I'm also finding that a lot of the French and German LC sets I bought seem to be from an inexhaustible supply on ebay. Either the sellers have piles of the same original sets, or no one buys them except me, or they're making them as they need them. I began to suspect anything and everything I have so far are possible fakes. A bit of the remorse is the money, but I hate feeling like a clueless rube even more. And the attraction for me was to own a bit of movie history. I'm definitely no more experienced with 1-sheets (even less), but avoiding ebay and moving more to auction houses like EMP give me a least a bit more confidence. The new Cinema Paradiso is beautiful, and in much better condition (to my eyes) than Bruce graded it.

Too bad but check out my authentication page and movieposterauthenticating.com.

guest4955

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 04:58:48 AM »
Pic = 1000 words....

SD center, HPF left/right. Note, this is my orig pic, complete with my reflection in WOW and the distorted IOTBS, which is actually the same size.

Maybe better after PS but still size distortion (tried squeezing just right 25% of pic):

PS now I remember that SD's plexiglass let's you choose reflective / non-reflective, just flip.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 06:21:11 PM »
Thanks again for yet another pic. I do like the slimmer HPF frame for a std 1-sheet. If I'm going to swap posters regularly, I suppose it's a good idea to order the frame a bit oversized in case a poster is a bit larger in the future, maybe 29 x 43, leaving an inch of white space around the edges.