Author Topic: Where does colecting posters stop...or not at all  (Read 7936 times)

Offline patrickh

• Beginner
Where does colecting posters stop...or not at all
« on: February 02, 2018, 02:56:38 PM »
Where does collecting posters stop for you guys, when you have 10, or 100, or 1000 or never at all?
For me it is a neverending story ;D

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Where does colecting posters stop...or not at all
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 03:09:06 PM »
It all comes down to storage for me.  Right now, I have enough room for 30,000 posters, give or take.  When/if I ever get to that number, it will be time to re-evaluate.  Also, time and organization.  Right now, I can find any poster within 2 minutes.  Yes, I am extremely organized.  Everything is packed away, numbered.  Two posters up in the house, not a single tube in sight.  If posters invade my living area, I will also re-evaluate.

T
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:13:31 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 03:37:18 PM »
For me, and others, it is age.  I'm getting close to 70 and I don't want the collection to be a burden to my kids.

I have one collecting goal left, and am getting close to completing it.  So, I am currently evaluating what I have and how best to shed it.
-Jay-

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 04:07:29 PM »
For me, and others, it is age.  I'm getting close to 70 and I don't want the collection to be a burden to my kids.

I agree with this.  Will still buy a few things that have eluded me for years, but don't have the gotta have everything mentality anymore.
If the kids don't want to continue the collection, then I will start looking at making sure they don't have to worry about it when I'm gone.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

guest4955

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 04:23:04 PM »
Starts and stops ... and starts again....

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 04:26:02 PM »
I don’t get the “worry” thing.  What is there to worry about?  Our kids will sell it all and done.  Or burn it.  Why should I worry about what they do with it?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 07:23:34 PM »
It all comes down to storage for me.  Right now, I have enough room for 30,000 posters, give or take.  When/if I ever get to that number, it will be time to re-evaluate.  Also, time and organization.  Right now, I can find any poster within 2 minutes.  Yes, I am extremely organized.  Everything is packed away, numbered.  Two posters up in the house, not a single tube in sight.  If posters invade my living area, I will also re-evaluate.

T

Something similar for me.

Four posters up.  The rest tubed and stored out of sight.

Mine is not just posters mind so there is an indexed organisation (presskits, premiere brochures, stills, campaign books) into boxes that are stored politely away.  Accessible and viewed quite easily.

Currently, in our present space, I do not want to out grow the space that is currently utilised.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 07:42:20 PM »

I have one collecting goal left, and am getting close to completing it.  So, I am currently evaluating what I have and how best to shed it.
Jay aren't you still buying weekly?

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 10:04:34 PM »
Jay aren't you still buying weekly?

Not weekly.  I did buy a couple of cards last night.  There were two cards that  were toward my last collecting goal.  Won one and lost the other.   
-Jay-

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 10:06:36 PM »
I took a break but have recently bought a few and at this moment am looking for my one....My one!  8)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 10:53:31 PM »
I don’t get the “worry” thing.  What is there to worry about?  Our kids will sell it all and done.  Or burn it.  Why should I worry about what they do with it?

I only worry because I love my kids and would hate to see them miss out on getting max value if they want to sell.
They might sell 60% of it for $20 or less and wind up in a van down by the river.
I get it, you're rich and an extra few hundred K/half mil or so won't mean a hill of beans for your kids, me I'd like to make sure they get it so I'll either do the selling first or make sure they know what is what.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 06:14:10 AM »

...I love my kids and would hate to see them miss out on getting max value if they want to sell........I'd like to make sure they get it so I'll either do the selling first or make sure they know what is what.

Yes, that is my philosophy too. My poster buying has slowed down considerably in recent months and I want to spend more time documenting and valuing my posters, to make sure that my family do not lose out.

Mark

Offline patrickh

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 03:12:17 AM »
Yes, aging make sence to slow down!

guest4955

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 06:36:52 AM »
Frame 'em to get more "value" out of 'em!

http://moviepostercollectors.guide/Framing_%26_Displaying_%26_Storing.html

Yep, your sig other will protest mightily but demand just ONE room as your turf. You'll become a "neighborhood rock star" if you show off popular posters.

I got 1K "likes" on Reddit for this "classy" MP selection:

Offline patrickh

• Beginner
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 07:31:30 AM »
Looks grand!!!

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 02:41:41 PM »
Elvis and Diana Dors will do it every time! Looks great!

I can only speak from my own experience here, but I think when you first start, you just want it all. Accumulation is the name of the game but as you get older, you become more discerning and refined so you may concentrate on a particular area of interest. After a number of years (or decades) you reach a saturation point where you may buy a 2nd copy of a poster because you think you don't have it, but forgot you already bought a copy years ago. You may reach a point where you already have everything you wanted and can find nothing else to buy. Some collectors just lose interest and stop altogether. One day you may be looking at Bruce's or Heritage's auctions and realize "they got how much for that poster?? I have a copy of that!" and decide to just cash out of the hobby altogether.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 10:03:31 AM »
I am close to the point of stop, at least for a brief respite.

As I recently started organizing better I realized that I had stopped opening the tubes when they came in for as much as three or more weeks after they arrived to the point that I forgot what was in them. Not bothering to check the condition and authenticity of what was received until it would have been technically too late to do anything about it was my main warning sign to cut back hard.

I also realized that I had bought multiple copies of posters that I did not think I even had one of. Sent a bunch of duplicates off to Bruce already to cut back and free cash up.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 10:57:57 AM »
also realized that I had bought multiple copies of posters that I did not think I even had one of. Sent a bunch of duplicates off to Bruce already to cut back and free cash up.

That was the point where I decided I absolutely needed a database of my collection.  Built this spreadsheet (with additional columns for date bought and price paid).  It has saved me from repeat bidding many times.  It also has flagged me to bid when I realize my current copy is in poor condition compared to what is up for auction. I can't imagine collecting without it.
-Jay-

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 12:28:52 PM »
That was the point where I decided I absolutely needed a database of my collection.  Built this spreadsheet (with additional columns for date bought and price paid).  It has saved me from repeat bidding many times.  It also has flagged me to bid when I realize my current copy is in poor condition compared to what is up for auction. I can't imagine collecting without it.

Always a great recommendation, thanks. I actually did the same but got lazy and have not updated it in a few years. All the duplicates came after I stopped.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »
I have a very detailed spreadsheet, and a website, but since I only check auctions a few hours before they begin, I don’t always have time to crosscheck and I end up buying the same posters over and over again.  They’re all cheap posters (under $50) and mostly collection fillers but it adds up.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 02:39:21 PM »
I have a very detailed spreadsheet, and a website, but since I only check auctions a few hours before they begin, I don’t always have time to crosscheck and I end up buying the same posters over and over again.  They’re all cheap posters (under $50) and mostly collection fillers but it adds up.

T
My strategy of late is to go in early on an auction and either do the watch list or place a lowball bid.  That way, I am not trying to look at the whole auction on the last day, but only the items I am interested in bidding on.  I check the spreadsheet on the first day, and again when I am placing my final bids.  It has worked pretty well for me over the years.
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 03:03:27 PM »
I don't like checking auctions early because I end up overthinking it and overspending.  I haven't checked Heritage Sig yet.  Will do it tonight.  At Bruce's, I bid at the 5 mn mark, at HA, I bid when the item shows up, and on Ebay within the last 2 seconds.  Always.

And as I'm about to pass the 14,000 mark (including 1,400 complete lobby card sets) I can say that collecting never ends.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 05:22:30 PM »
And as I'm about to pass the 14,000 mark (including 1,400 complete lobby card sets) I can say that collecting never ends.

T

You are still young.  Talk to me when you are 70, your kids are grown and complaining about all that junk you are going to make them deal with :)
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 06:26:51 PM »
I am so organized that it will be easy for any Bruce-like person to come to my house, pick it all up and sell it.  Kids will just have to wait and collect.

T
My Personal Collection