Author Topic: Emovieposter sells minty white reprint as original.  (Read 4891 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Emovieposter sells minty white reprint as original.
« on: January 15, 2018, 11:49:29 AM »
I wonder if there are more in the archive?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Emovieposter sells minty white reprint as original.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 12:18:57 PM »
Title?  Auction reference?  Right now it simply looks like you are continuing your crusade against Bruce.

Since Bruce is the one to expose minty whites in the first place, I would expect him to be very careful.  Not saying it didn't happen, but why would I accept this without a shred of evidence?
-Jay-

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 01:04:35 PM »
Oops sorry, thought I pasted it in the original post.
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4823161

It's not a crusade.  This is a known reprint that was made in 2005 that was auctioned and now archived as being an original theatrical poster.
I already posted the facts about it.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 03:12:17 PM »
it's not the first time I suspect.

for instance, I recently discovered a Grease HS from the Caidin load. The paper was funny. I matched it to Minty's I have on hand for comparisons and the paper was the same as them. Then I looked at EMP database and he has several that appear to be the same poster. The printing is very obviously different and easy to identify

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 03:42:49 PM »
What is the minty paper quality actually like? Is it thinner? More shiny? Thicker?

What makes these kinds of posters readily identifiable?

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 04:20:43 PM »
mostly data from Bruce himself:
http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/NewSite/ADMIN/Problems/FAKES/MintyWhiteReport.asp
Exactly what was wrong with them? Most noticeably, the paper stock was clearly different from that of any other insert I had ever seen. It seemed to be around the right weight as other inserts, but the paper was "whiter than white" (which means it is a brighter white than regular insert paper, even mint ones), and the stock was glossy on the front (with a similar amount of gloss to that of genuine inserts from the same period), but the paper had the SAME degree of glossiness on the back, something that was never true for genuine inserts of this period (genuine inserts from this period have a somewhat flat finish on the back, with only a small degree of glossiness). THIS DIFFERENCE IS SO SIGNIFICANT THAT I CAN TELL A "MINTY WHITE" FROM A GENUINE INSERT IN TOTAL DARKNESS, JUST BY FEELING BOTH SIDES OF THE POSTER WITH MY FINGERS!
There are other differences as well. All of them have a varying amount of "fuzziness" or "blurring" to the printing. It is something you can't easily describe in words, because your eyes pick it up subliminally. This is best seen when you look at a genuine insert and a "minty white" of the same title side by side (and some people, usually those with a printing background, are far better than seeing this than others). There is also a problem with some of the "minty whites" where the art is slightly cropped as opposed to known originals.
-Jay-

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 04:26:08 PM »
Since the one being described is a Japanese poster, it probably is not correct to call it 'minty white' as that designation seems to only apply to US stuff on heavier stock, such as inserts, lobby cards and half sheets.

I believe Crowzilla was using it as a generic term meaning fake or undisclosed reproduction.  Even there, the questions seems to be whether it is an original or a commercial reprint.  It doesn't look like there was actual intent to deceive.

Bruce did change the listing to note the controversy, but the note was less than Crowzilla asked for.  It appears to be a pissing contest on which expert to accept IMO.  Since I don't collect in this area, I have no further opinion.
-Jay-

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 04:33:02 PM »
Bearing in mind Bruce's front and centre declaration on life-time, money back guarantees and the welcome to receive information in the eternal quest to learn, what possible reason on God's good earth would he ever want to deceive?

Fella, I do wish you'd just cover these crusades on a one-to-one endeavour.

Yawn.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 08:17:23 PM »
What is the minty paper quality actually like? Is it thinner? More shiny? Thicker?

What makes these kinds of posters readily identifiable?

thinner, glossy both sides
it also has a quality where it makes a tingy sound when you flick it that normal posters do not

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 08:41:23 PM »
Title?  Auction reference?  Right now it simply looks like you are continuing your crusade against Bruce.

Since Bruce is the one to expose minty whites in the first place, I would expect him to be very careful.  Not saying it didn't happen, but why would I accept this without a shred of evidence?

This is getting old and I'm getting sick of it.  I'm not the only one, apparently.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 08:52:19 PM »
This is getting old and I'm getting sick of it.  I'm not the only one, apparently.

T

+1  eyeroll

guest4531

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 01:58:31 AM »

T

We are all getting old.  And the more we get old, the more we are prone to mistake :)

I can see description being updated, there is no way to check that previous buyers are send a notification but I am sure EMP do it as I got one notification once.  Sending after-sale notification for erroneous description seems to be implemented in their system.

IMO, not worst than HA photoshopping their image to hide creases and defaults.

After reading the thread, I understand there have been precedents already and Crowzilla has a vendetta or something against EMP.
How and why ?

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 02:21:34 AM »
I am filled with despair over minty white

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 10:48:36 AM »
Another thread to beat Bruce up, this time over a $76 poster.  eyeroll

The EMP(enis) envy is alive and well apparently....
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 08:32:57 PM »
Bearing in mind Bruce's front and centre declaration on life-time, money back guarantees and the welcome to receive information in the eternal quest to learn, what possible reason on God's good earth would he ever want to deceive?

I don't think he has any reason to deceive, and I've spoken many times about what a great archive he has - and many people use it for research.
There is no controversy about this poster - it's a reprint simple as that. The price isn't the issue - who cares what someone wants to pay for an item they want. It's the fact that emovie will allow a known reprint to remain in the archive when it's been pointed out to them.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 02:35:31 PM »
I will be removing the record from the Auction History, and if anyone offers me the poster to auction again I will return it.

I already explained the situation to the buyer, who wanted to keep the poster.

And did you guys hear that Emovieposter sold a single poster for the most money EVER?
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 04:42:42 PM »
 :)