Author Topic: Why are a lot of sellers deciding to go with the eBay global shipping program?  (Read 2009 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Why are a lot of sellers deciding to go with the eBay global shipping program?
I am from Canada. And I’m noticing a lot more auctions are using the eBay global shipping program. Just wondering why? Do any of you fellows in the US use it? And what’s the reasoning? It’s almost double to ship something if not more to send to Canada now with the GSP...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
F--k only knows.  But I do know it is $£&%-ing me off.

Half of my questions to sellers now start with, 'I am interested in said item, but until you find an alternate and vastly cheaper method of shipping, I won't be bidding my extraordinarily high bids.'

More often than not, sellers say it is automatically chosen for them when making the listing.  And I wonder if they are doing all their selling on bloody phones whereby you can't see, or don't have, all the options.  Either way, they then change it - sometimes.

It is not obviously even available in the UK.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
 It is ridiculous. They would be losing a lot of sales and high beds like you said if most of the funds are going towards shipping and other fees. I have asked on multiple occasions as well about other shipping options and they said it is automatic. So they lose out on the sale. It’s stupid especially when the fees are more than the shipping

guest4531

Indeed, from my understanding, it was establish by Ebay in order to boost international sale and push US sellers to sale abroad. 

The incentive here for the seller is that there don't have to bother with shipping and/or liability... they just sent to third parties who has an agreement with Ebay, that's the reasoning behind this and the explanation for the higher shipping prices.

I am not an Ebay seller so I can't tell if it is by default or chosen by sellers... pretty sure the seller likes the idea of selling his item at international level and not to bother about shipping, so they accept it without actually checking the shipping cost.

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
The global shipping programme is another really bad idea from Ebay.

I used to sell a lot on Ebay but in their infinite greedy wisdom they decided yet again to hike up fees.

Then four months ago I decided to give them the big F*** You and rescale my anchor shop down to a basic shop.

I will be coming off using an Ebay shop for good over the Xmas period and will only be using the free listings to shift some stock and fully concentrate on the website and marketing that.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
I dont know why sellers would want to use it. I have bought all of 2 posters from sellers that use it, both times the item was repacked and came completely destroyed as the packing house didnt know what the hell they were doing.