Author Topic: A Dubious situation regarding an Ebay shipment  (Read 12323 times)

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
A Dubious situation regarding an Ebay shipment
« on: January 08, 2018, 04:02:59 PM »
Aloha all....I am in the middle of a dubious situation with a longtime collector who has been a "bad boy" in the past..

let me explain the situation:

An expensive one of a kind lobby card was purchased on ebay...I packed the item like it was headed to a war zone and used delivery confirmation signature required...

The customer contacted me on January 1st and said that they were out of town and that the post office delivered the package on their doorstep on Jan 31st (a Sunday) without a signature and the package wasn't there and they would like a refund...they opened a request with ebay asking for a refund...I supplied the tracking number showing it was indeed delivered then...which doesn't make any sense...

this note was added by the buyer on the refund request: "my item shows delivered on a Sunday. I already filed a claim because they delivered it incorrectly. I requested a copy of validation from post office that they screwed up regarding the shipping because they should not have any delivery on weekends."

Is it just me or does this need to be resolved by a 3rd party...I don't feel comfortable giving a refund at this time...considering who the person is and that none of this makes sense and there was absolutely no mistake on my end

All advice is welcome!!
Tait

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Re: A Dubious situation regarding an Ebay shipment
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 04:09:48 PM »
I would file a claim with the post office first, especially if you chose delivery confirmation and signature required. Looks like the postal service messed up... file a claim with them and let the seller know you are filing a claim with the postal service first to issue a refund once it’s settled.
It’s not really on you if you chose signature confirmation and there is none...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 04:27:42 PM »
Just curious since you began your discussion and situation with this: You mention this person being a "bad boy."

What does that mean exactly? "Bad" in what way?

And if the parcel was indeed delivered without the carrier getting the required signature, then that issue and fault would fall on the USPS.

If no one was home to give a signature, the carrier should have left a slip on the front door saying that the parcel would now be at the PO, and that the slip would need to be presented in order to have that parcel turned over to the customer.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:34:48 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 04:54:52 PM »
In the past they were very Bad in a big way..... I'm hesitant to get into airing out the person because I don't want the other issue to overshadow the steps I need to take here before this is resolved...the real issue is that they never said they were going to be gone during the delivery period, didn't request insurance so it wasn't insured, signature required wasn't adhered to by USPS, that it was delivered on a Sunday (presumably) on a doorstep.....its a real clusterfuck
Tait

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 04:56:05 PM »
I'm really just concerned about getting my ducks in a row and following a process that insures that I dont get screwed
i.e. losing the expensive card AND the $$ to a refund
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 05:00:44 PM »
I'm really just concerned about getting my ducks in a row and following a process that insures that I dont get screwed
i.e. losing the expensive card AND the $$ to a refund

Sounds like this should all fall on the USPS as they did not follow the delivery protocol and just left the parcel without the required signature. What might be tricky is that because extra insurance wasnt purchased (nor wanted by the buyer), the USPS may try and say they are only responsible for up to the default insurance amount that is included. What was that amount on your parcel? $50.00?

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 05:26:33 PM »
Yes $50.....unfortunately I cant prove in any way that it was delivered or not...or that the package was stolen or if they got the package and are seeking a refund anyway since it was never signed for......I am hesitant to file a claim of mail fraud (in case it wasn't stolen or mis-delivered) here
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactus/filecomplaint.aspx because that opens up a whole different can of monkeys...the USPS shows that it was indeed delivered but on a Sunday without being signed for...
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 05:31:02 PM »
Yes $50.....unfortunately I cant prove in any way that it was delivered or not...or that the package was stolen or if they got the package and are seeking a refund anyway since it was never signed for......I am hesitant to file a claim of mail fraud (in case it wasn't stolen or mis-delivered) here
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactus/filecomplaint.aspx because that opens up a whole different can of monkeys...the USPS shows that it was indeed delivered but on a Sunday without being signed for...

If it shows delivered on Sunday (or any other day) it very likely was, as the carrier scans the bar code below the tracking number, prior to dropping any parcel off. And that info is transferred to their system (and you, if you opted for text or email tracking updates).

Where you have them (at least for the $50.00) is that it was delivered without the carrier getting the signature. Some cities do deliver on a Sunday.. and that's at no extra cost, so that element isnt all that unusual.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 05:32:33 PM »
And regarding this buyer and his "bad boy" status... is this person the type that might have actually gotten the card but is trying to pull a fast one and get the card for free?

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 05:40:23 PM »
It's certainly a possibility....but I have done business with them before with no problems....then again they have been involved in shenanigans before.....I'm just trying to figure out what to do next and if ebay is going to protect me in this situation....The fact that I paid for delivery confirmation should protect me under the money back guarantee...It's not a requirement but it's a requirement if you want any protection against item not received claims

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/shipping-tips.html

Remember, to be covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee we require signature confirmation for packages valued at more than $750. If your transaction is $750 or more, signature confirmation will be preselected for you. You can remove this option, however, requiring a signature at delivery helps protect you if your buyer doesn't receive the item and opens a case.
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 05:51:18 PM »
It's certainly a possibility....but I have done business with them before with no problems....then again they have been involved in shenanigans before.....I'm just trying to figure out what to do next and if ebay is going to protect me in this situation....The fact that I paid for delivery confirmation should protect me under the money back guarantee...It's not a requirement but it's a requirement if you want any protection against item not received claims

Remember, to be covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee we require signature confirmation for packages valued at more than $750. If your transaction is $750 or more, signature confirmation will be preselected for you. You can remove this option, however, requiring a signature at delivery helps protect you if your buyer doesn't receive the item and opens a case.

This certainly reads like you will be protected, since you followed ebay's signature confirmation guideline.

It will be interesting to see what ebay says, when they learn that the parcel was delivered with NO gotten signature. Tho, that shouldnt matter with regard to you as the seller, since you "went by the book."

-Jeff

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 06:07:46 PM »
I respect your decision if you do not disclose, but one of the functions of this forum is to educate fellow collectors of potential problem sellers/buyers.

Best regards,
Cj
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 07:19:21 PM »
Tait, It was delivered right?
that should usually be the end of it

I would do this before going further: Google Earth their address and see what the front of the house looks like, to get a lay of the land

now I have a question, I know your stuff is listed for a few hundred or more for nice cards that you have listed, why is it that you didn't insure it for value?
It is not USA shipping address? I always make sure I have coverage, even though I haven't lost anything in so many years, I don't recall when it was

if it is not a US shipping address, did the buyer request not to have it valued to avoid taxes?
if so, that's the end of it.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 08:45:00 PM »
Haggard?

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 12:45:44 AM »
Very tough spot you are in and I feel bad for you.
Unfortunately ebay policy is basically you are on the hook if you do not purchase insurance, it is not up to the buyer to ask for it.
You can include the price of insurance in your shipping charge, but you can not charge a separate fee for insurance or ask purchasers if they would like it.
https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/sc
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 05:15:34 PM »

Tait, did this shipping issue get resolved to your satisfaction?

If so, how did it eventually all play out?

Was a refund issued? Or a claim filed by the buyer? Or was the parcel ever located, hopefully?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:17:28 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »
Well as for now this situation was resolved in my favor....I had to talk to 2 different ebay resolution "experts" and the combination of delivery confirmation and signature confirmation showed that my item was indeed shipped and was delivered and it was not my fault that the person was not home...Ebay also has a my ebay notification for when you are not going to be home and if you dont use it for a received shipment...its not the sellers fault in this situation...there is nothing more that they could do....

I was also unaware that individuals can work options with the post office and receive their important mail (priority/express) on Sundays...this is not an option in Hawaii and is news to me...and considering it was over the Jan 1st new year Holiday weekend...it all seemed rather strange to me
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 02:57:14 PM »
Good to hear that it all worked out in your favor, and with no additional hassles.

Has the case/issue been fully put to bed at this point?

-Jeff

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 08:03:06 PM »
I'm with Rich that you should always post orders insured to your cost value irrespective of how few problems you may or may not have had.
Best wishes,
Adam