Author Topic: Awards Season  (Read 18326 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Awards Season
« on: January 08, 2018, 12:06:41 AM »
I did this Golden Globes winners list through posters a while back and never posted it.  It goes back to 1960.  I also indicated if one of the two movies (Drama - Comedy/Musical) also won the Academy Award (it didn't 20 times out of 57). 

If a poster is missing, it's because I don't own a US one sheet for it.

T
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 12:12:24 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

Re: Awards Season
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 01:58:30 AM »
Nice, I'll supplement with these screenshots:

Um, what was I rambling on about? Got distracted somehow. Oh yeah, the winners....

Oldman won (yeah!) but gave a hum-drum "laundry list" acceptance speech. The Post struck out...

guest4955

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 05:25:53 AM »
Was this appropriate?

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 07:46:18 AM »
I understand women the world over want a fair bite at the apple and fair pay and equal rights and all the rest, but, sometimes there is such a thing as market demand and just how many women out there are actually doing the same roles as men.

To wit, is it not a fair statement to make that a film, rightly or wrongly, is more likely to be seen if the main draw is a male actor over and above a female actor?  Would I for sake of argument go to see a film with Tom Cruise as equally as I would go to see a film with Emma Stone?  No.  And if this argument holds true for a larger percentage of others, market demand sees the likes of Tom Cruise being paid more for his draw.

To secondly wit, if there are 375 male directors out there doin' stuff versus 5 female directors, is it not more likely and probable that it will be a male director who is nominated?

Maybe everyone who shouts for equal pay and equal nominations also knows this but in the absence of any firmer reality, shout away.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 11:03:14 AM »
I understand women the world over want a fair bite at the apple and fair pay and equal rights and all the rest, but, sometimes there is such a thing as market demand and just how many women out there are actually doing the same roles as men.

To wit, is it not a fair statement to make that a film, rightly or wrongly, is more likely to be seen if the main draw is a male actor over and above a female actor?  Would I for sake of argument go to see a film with Tom Cruise as equally as I would go to see a film with Emma Stone?  No.  And if this argument holds true for a larger percentage of others, market demand sees the likes of Tom Cruise being paid more for his draw.

To secondly wit, if there are 375 male directors out there doin' stuff versus 5 female directors, is it not more likely and probable that it will be a male director who is nominated?

Maybe everyone who shouts for equal pay and equal nominations also knows this but in the absence of any firmer reality, shout away.

I say if they are so eager they should petition to combine actress and actor categories...  As long as they are recognized/awarded by gender they will be treated differently.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »

Please don't take offense to my response as it's really more a response to "men" in the abstract. 

I think a lot of the current friction can be attributed to old saying -- Don't blame the player, blame the game.

When men hear outrage about the sexual harassment or equal opportunity issues, they are assuming they themselves are being judged.  The easy response is "I didn't create the system, don't blame me for my success".  However, she's not blaming the directors.  With her words, Portman is pointing out to the world that the game itself is rigged and needs to be changed.  Too many bright and talented women and minorities (i.e. people) are pushed out or dissuaded from careers in film, engineering, banking, you name it... simply because that's the way the systems have always worked.  When you point out the statistical breakdown of the number of male vs. female directors in the current system to explain the award results, at best that does nothing to improve the situation or opportunities available to well over half the population.  At worst, and I'd say be careful with your wording, you might come off as supportive of the status quo. 

You will hear many, many more speeches like this in the years to come.  You may be uncomfortable hearing them, but that reaction is your choice.  The world is changing -- for the betterment of humanity IMO.  Then again, change is often uncomfortable.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 11:58:44 AM »
Please don't take offense to my response as it's really more a response to "men" in the abstract. 

I think a lot of the current friction can be attributed to old saying -- Don't blame the player, blame the game.

When men hear outrage about the sexual harassment or equal opportunity issues, they are assuming they themselves are being judged.  The easy response is "I didn't create the system, don't blame me for my success".  However, she's not blaming the directors.  With her words, Portman is pointing out to the world that the game itself is rigged and needs to be changed.  Too many bright and talented women and minorities (i.e. people) are pushed out or dissuaded from careers in film, engineering, banking, you name it... simply because that's the way the systems have always worked.  When you point out the statistical breakdown of the number of male vs. female directors in the current system to explain the award results, at best that does nothing to improve the situation or opportunities available to well over half the population.  At worst, and I'd say be careful with your wording, you might come off as supportive of the status quo. 

You will hear many, many more speeches like this in the years to come.  You may be uncomfortable hearing them, but that reaction is your choice.  The world is changing -- for the betterment of humanity IMO.  Then again, change is often uncomfortable.

I agree with you 100%...  I tend to react the same way.  I kept going on about "how far are women going take the harassment thing - better keep my eyes down and hands in my pocket"...   Finally the wife threw it in my face that "those guys aren't you"...  She went on to say pretty much the same thing "why are you acting as if all men are being accused"...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 12:06:59 PM »
It's like when Matt Damon stepped in it.    Multiple times. 

There may be a time to have an intellectual discussion about male patriarchy, how it has shaped the current system, and how certain people are more culpable than others.  But now is not the time to stand up and say "it wasn't my fault".  Or "we need to be nuanced".

Fellas, this movement is not about us.

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 08:52:52 PM »
‘When You’re Accustomed to Privilege, Equality Feels Like Oppression’

This entirely.

It's exasperating as it is to have to fight endlessly to be seen as human (and not just women, all minorities) but to discuss it with people who choose to be obtuse? I don't have the energy. It's disingenuous.

Here's also a read to tackle that constant lie that gets repeated: As Women Take Over a Male-Dominated Field, the Pay Drops

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 10:09:29 PM »
Interesting and thoughtful responses.

My two cents:

Not appropriate. She should have requested to present another award and explained her reason why on Twitter, rather than denigrating these particular nominees on national TV.

IMO it's the equivalent of Trump mocking Sen. Warren as "Pocahantas" during a formal ceremony honoring Native American WW2 vets...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 04:19:24 AM »

Thanks for your response.

I think that certainly does answer the women as directors discussion, but might not answer the 'market demand' thrust.

Treading very carefully, and BEFORE all the furore, Robin Wright demanded equal pay to Spacey for House of Cards.  In my time, I must admit I was drawn to this series Because of Spacey's involvement, and not necessarily Wright's.

Having seen the production, while I think the performances across the board were uniformly brilliant, in terms of how I, as a paying customer, got there, it was due to Spacey.

The same could be said for a Julia Roberts film over Robbie Coltrane's involvement, for sake of argument.

The same could also be said in every walk of life, the old footballer's pay compared to that of a doctor's.  I am just not sure what the answer is if we live in and celebrate a capitalist world.

But yes, if the game makes it difficult for women directors to even get a shot, then that Does need to change.

guest4531

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 06:31:05 AM »
Typical media bullshit !!

Don't forget that nowadays, there is so much competition for audience and so much new stuff coming out everyday, that getting audience is a tough business.  Hollywood had monopoly on audience for so many years, and if America won the WWII and subsequently became a global model it is thanks to Hollywood and the soft power of cinema... but yeah, time change, Hollywood is loosing it big time !

So what's the best thing to do to get audience back, make noise, create hashtag, get PR support, get global support for a cause you can't ignore, do witch-hunt and calling for delation... We are all familiar with that in the world of opinionated social network and hashtags, if you don't agree, you get bashed!  People in the ads industry often says "bad publicity is good publicity"; witch-hunt, bashing, delation and name calling is clearly good publicity at the end as they get audience, shares/likes and comment.    If you compare the WWII Hollywood Bond or the Hollywood blacklist (McCarthism), then you will see lot of similarities, which is pretty funny.  See the big picture, don't forget media/PR/magazines/press is a business like any other; some people are profiting of this and they need stories; actors like politicians are the entertaining side of the industry :)

Total Hollywood bullshit !

A new never-seen project called Time'sUp has been launched to help women ? So Oprah made the speech of the century ? 

Funny because when the all story started, someone, a real activist and feminist, said publicly it is typical of the all white-bullshit-Hollywood-hypocrite clique bullshit.  It got audience because women were white and famous; things would have been different if it had been a lambda women.

Then some people in Hollywood realised it was true and they promptly changed the all rhetoric, turning their personal cause into a cause for all women, especially colored women. That woman was right !  That woman is Jane Fonda, who has been a lifelong, extreme political activist, having protested the Vietnam War, the Iraq War, treatment of black Americans, Native Americans, women, Palestinians, etc. (she doesn't seat on a sofa, interviewing stars for the middle- and low-class American; she went to Viet Nam, she walked in the street for women, for the native Americans, etc.), and yet she has been "banned" by Hollywood for speaking out and being active and forgotten by the new girls of Hollywood (who all went to school by the way, no excuse).

And ironically, the unprecedented Time'sUp project launched by Hollywood women is just a copycat of Janet Fonda's project launched in 2005 "The Women's Media Center" (empowering women voice through media) - http://www.womensmediacenter.com/about - which seems to have been forgotten too.

As always, Hollywood is full of bullshit and people love this !
People of Hollywood do everything in excess, clearly over-exalted and a bit excessive.
Go Barbarella, bring us back the real "Excessive machine" and exaltation notworthy.gif

As for Catherine, well done girl !!

If Catherine said so, then it's settled!

She played in Luis Bunuel's movie, "Belle de Jour"... I wonder if she saw "Simon of the desert", a movie in which Satan is luring the pure Simon with innocent legs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcJGlFSAJg4

Guys, imagine if the guy behind the PreCode was a woman and not a conservative patriach, we would have had lot of great movies with strong actresses, directresses (???) and produceresses (???) putting forward their talent, creativity,  etc. like Dorothy Arzner and Mabel Normand.  The strong women of the Nation doing men's job !

Too bad because things changed completely at the WWII in the 50s and the following second woman revolution in the 60s, women were back to women's duties (housewife, kitchen, fashion) and men had to endure male-orientated exploitation/erotic which is pretty bad (unless you are single).

I hope that this new movement will bring back the silent precode spirit with strong women ("dominatrix" as we says in French :) )

I am a Frank Zappa fan and I think the world has become a boring place... I just want an Hollywood princess :)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 09:27:50 AM »
I think we are losing perspective here.  To me the #metoo movement is about working women of all stripes just trying to do their jobs without having to be the butt of sexist jokes and having to fight off daily unwanted/uncalled for/unreciprocated advances by people who have the power to (and sometimes do) derail their careers.  When they do have the courage to speak up, they are met with "Jeez, can't you take a joke?" or "you need a thicker skin, he was just making an awkward advance".   Then they are the ones labeled problematic -- watch where their careers go from there. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jan/09/catherine-deneuve-men-should-be-free-hit-on-women-harvey-weinstein-scandal

“Rape is a crime, but trying to seduce someone, even persistently or cack-handedly, is not – nor is men being gentlemanly a macho attack,” said the letter published in the newspaper Le Monde.

“Men have been punished summarily, forced out of their jobs when all they did was touch someone’s knee or try to steal a kiss,”

Oh please.  I think Mrs. Deneuve needs to look at the list of allegations again.  No one's career was destroyed for a peck on the cheek or a touch on the knee -- unless the woman was underage and it happened on multiple occasions.  I supposed she would be flattered to be forced to stand there while your boss jerks off into a house plant too.  The art of seduction  eyeroll

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 09:29:39 AM »
Not appropriate. She should have requested to present another award and explained her reason why on Twitter, rather than denigrating these particular nominees on national TV.

What's the matter?  Can't these snow-flake boys take a little bit of ribbing?  Jeez, it was just a joke -- lighten up! ;)

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 11:12:28 AM »
What's the matter?  Can't these snow-flake boys take a little bit of ribbing?  Jeez, it was just a joke -- lighten up! ;)

I think the ultimate would have been if Guillermo would have cracked back that he should keep trying to win the award every year just so he could get a hug from Portman...  Oh wait, that was my wishful thinking.  ;D

guest4955

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 11:27:39 AM »

A new never-seen project called Time'sUp has been launched to help women ? So Oprah made the speech of the century ? 

Funny because when the all story started, someone, a real activist and feminist, said publicly it is typical of the all white-bullshit-Hollywood-hypocrite clique bullshit.  It got audience because women were white and famous; things would have been different if it had been a lambda women.

As a 20 year veteran of discrimination lawsuits (mostly defense), I think TimesUp!, which has raised $17 million so far, is commendable.

The "dirty little secret" of our little world is EVERYBODY (lawyers, HR, EEOC officials, and judges) knows that most discrimination plaintiffs are bonkers or are trying to litigate ordinary, legally-meritless workplace disputes. I "won" 95% of my defense cases through dismissals or nuisance value settlements.

Consequently, it is difficult/impossible for discrimination plaintiffs to find a lawyer who will handle their case on a contingency basis.

This MeToo movement has unveiled a pool of legit sex harassment victims, none of whom can afford a lawyer. So IF TimesUp! carefully/competently screens cases and weeds out the inevitable nutjobs, it's worthy IMO.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 08:43:30 PM »

guest4955

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 09:10:35 PM »
Michael Douglas and his advisors smartly got in front of this.

Most lawyers would normally recommend an aggressive legal offense in lieu of "going to the papers." Namely, send a letter threatening legal hell, citing Tom Cruise's successful lawsuit against some lowlife plaintiff dude who falsely accused him of having gay affair with him:

http://ew.com/article/2003/01/16/tom-cruise-wins-10-million-gay-lawsuit/

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 10:58:57 PM »
Lots of people full of shit.

Bad is bad.

Good is good.

WTF is truly wrong with these assholes? and the idiots that worship them.

Its all common sense but none of these assholes have that not so super power.

Hollywood is run by idiots and populated by idiots.

Its fucking embarrassing.

guest4955

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 07:55:03 PM »
I don't know what the best awards prediction sites are but this one is excellent:

http://www.goldderby.com/odds/expert-odds/oscars-nominations-2018/

I've seen 11 of the 61 movies and have little interest in most of the others, I don't want to pay to see depressing/serious/weird dramas for a variety of reasons. I'd vote for Wonder Woman, The Post, Darkest Hour, Dunkirk, BR 2049, Baby Driver, and Last Jedi.

What are your 5-10 faves? (going by Oscar parameters)

guest4955

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 01:31:11 PM »
99% inevitable but commendable:

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 10:00:56 PM »
Excuse me but that has nothing to do with awards.

Are you not well?