Author Topic: January 2018  (Read 19815 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: January 2018
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »
Goliath & the Vampires... neat looking art for sure, and the Wilde art really pops, too!

Nice group all the way around.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 06:36:55 AM »

Hellraiser - this took some getting! v.few released & i had to do some serious arm twisting  thumbsup.gif

Hellraiser - 2017 Re-Release by michael reeve, on Flickr

This Hellraiser is awesome, congrats on getting it Mike. Been after it two for ages and no can find, bit like that other gem Wages of Fear, Two highest on my wants list if you happen to seen another.

I got a copy of the Perfect Blue too but it arrived punctured all across the middle so its going back.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 06:55:50 AM »
Couple of older quads but recent additions to my collections. Long time wants.

The Iron Giant - signature edition. Do any quad experts know if this one is from the first release or the rerelease of the film when it was recut?

Bertolucci's The Conformist

And been after this for a copy of years to add to my Park Circus collection, The Muppet Christmas Carol

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 08:23:06 AM »
Iron Giant is from the rerelease.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 08:58:50 AM »

The Iron Giant - signature edition. Do any quad experts know if this one is from the first release or the rerelease of the film when it was recut?

I think the other clue indicating that this quad is for a later RR is the wording calling the movie the "signature edition."

'Tis a nice looking poster, regardless.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 11:37:15 AM »
Had this come a couple days ago.

The Thai poster for Bloodstone: Subspecies II (1993), with art done by the very talented Tongdee Panumas.

One of the many films done by producer Charles Band and his company, Full Moon Entertainment. We actually screened the dailies/rushes for this flick as it was being filmed. Full Moon was not far from the production facility I worked at, at the time, and they would come down and rent our screening room to watch each prior day's footage. So this poster rekindles that memory, plus, I think Tondee did an amazing job on the artwork, too.

-Jeff

Online bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 11:49:36 AM »
Sweet poster Jeff!! I was luck to pick one of those up 2 years ago. Nice find!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 12:00:05 PM »
I'm in good company then.  devil 2 >:D

Thanks, Mike.

I know another member also either posted this poster, or maybe it was used as his avatar. I dont recall which, at the moment. I do know when I first saw it, it really grabbed my eye.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 02:17:33 PM »
that's a pretty cool poster Jeffe. I may have to find one myself

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2018, 03:38:18 PM »
Thanks, Rich.

I also had this one arrive today.. another Thai poster for the Toho flick, Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989). The artwork is a redrawn version, based on that done for Japan by Noriyoshi Ohrai.  I don't know who the Thai artist is (more sherlocking needed), but, imho, is really a vivid and accurate redo of Ohrai's work, with some changed art elements, most noticeably to parts of the creature to the left of Godzilla's head and the added, running crowd on the lower left corner.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:42:09 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 03:42:39 PM »
Thanks, Rich.

I also had this one arrive today.. another Thai poster for the Toho flick, Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989). The artwork is a redrawn version, based on that done for Japan by Noriyoshi Ohrai.  I don't know who the Thai artist is (more sherlocking needed), but, imho, is really a vivid and accurate redo of Ohrai's work, with some changed art elements, most noticeably to parts of the creature to the left of Godzilla's head and the added, running crowd on the lower left corner.

I have that JP poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 07:10:04 PM »
I have that JP poster

Nice.

I looked on HA and a couple other auction sites and I haven't found this Thai version for sale before.

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2018, 07:33:21 PM »

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2018, 10:44:44 AM »
Just received this unrestored half-sheet for Not Of This Earth in the mail.  Even though I already have the OS for that movie and despite the fact that I usually do not collect half-sheet posters, I wanted this particular example because I always felt that this format is better suited to the artwork.  So I'm happy to have finally gotten my hands on it. 

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 10:50:52 AM »
^ I agree. That's a great image as a half sheet.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2018, 10:18:56 AM »
Yup, the half sheet is the one to have on that. Congrats!
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2018, 11:25:07 AM »
I have been watching one of those on ebay for a while now. Nice pick-up Jeff!  still for sale here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Godzilla-vs-Biollante-original-Thai-Poster-Japanese-Gojira-Biorante-TOHO-movie/182268751777?hash=item2a70106fa1:g:YVMAAOSwFV9XzSvp

Likely have to find them from Thai sellers for the most part.

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2018, 10:36:11 PM »

Good news, the Iron Giant has a substantial role in Ready Player One. The book used a Japanese robot but the legal rights were hopelessly disputed so the RP1 producers liceensed IG.

Went 0-5 on HA tonight. After shedding some croc tears, relieved the pain by buying....

ToddFiertag, eBay

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2018, 10:52:22 PM »
It’s hard to win something at HA these days.  Everything goes for way more than what it’s worth.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4531

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2018, 07:07:20 AM »
Likely have to find them from Thai sellers for the most part.

Indeed, and considering we talked about Thai sellers and possibly fake posters or unreliable sellers, I wonder what is your seller ?

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »
It’s hard to win something at HA these days.  Everything goes for way more than what it’s worth.

T

Without getting into the whole "it's worth what someone will pay for it" argument, this is what makes Emovie such a great choice for so many. 
95% of what Emovie sold last week went for less than $100, whereas in Heritage's weekly auction the average sale price has gradually increased to the $100 level.

Can't remember the last time I saw something in the HA weekly and thought "Dang, I would have paid more than that".
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2018, 04:08:19 PM »
Without getting into the whole "it's worth what someone will pay for it" argument, this is what makes Emovie such a great choice for so many. 
95% of what Emovie sold last week went for less than $100, whereas in Heritage's weekly auction the average sale price has gradually increased to the $100 level.

Can't remember the last time I saw something in the HA weekly and thought "Dang, I would have paid more than that".

I agree.  Part of the reason is the buyer's premium that increases cost by at least $20.  It makes no sense to bid on a $20 poster when the final bill will be $40 higher.  For example, I won a set of lobbies for $34 last year  The final bill was just under $70 with BP and shipping.  It isn't realistic to purchase multiple items to keep shipping costs down because the number of lots is much smaller.

For those reasons, I generally will not bid at HA on anything under $200.
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2018, 04:19:56 PM »
For those reasons, I generally will not bid at HA on anything under $200.

I heard that before.  Am I correct by saying that if a poster ends at $100, the seller gets less than $65?  Like 35% less?  I understand the seller doesn't pay the buyer's premium, but the final price is what someone is willing to pay for the item, so the seller get 35% less, vs 28% with Bruce.  35% seems outrageous to me.  More than a third.  So HA may sell for more, but they also pocket more.  Honestly, if I was going to sell my collection, I don't know who I would turn to.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2018, 04:33:29 PM »
I heard that before.  Am I correct by saying that if a poster ends at $100, the seller gets less than $65?  Like 35% less?  I understand the seller doesn't pay the buyer's premium, but the final price is what someone is willing to pay for the item, so the seller get 35% less, vs 28% with Bruce.  35% seems outrageous to me.  More than a third.  So HA may sell for more, but they also pocket more.  Honestly, if I was going to sell my collection, I don't know who I would turn to.

T

It may not be a single answer.  Bruce has never sold a poster for over $100k, so that Frankie 6 sheet hiding in your closet might do best for you at HA.  The $50-200 posters will do well at emovieposter.  The under $10 stuff might not be worth the shipping costs to any dealer.

Everybody wants that Frankie.  Nobody wants that Ishtar 1-sh.
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2018, 04:48:30 PM »
Right, but I was talking to Matt about that Casablanca poster he sold for $107,000 a few months ago, and I was taken aback by what Heritage took for selling the poster.  You may be right by saying that Bruce would have not got $100k for it (although we'll never know), but pocketing $30k+ for selling a $100k poster is just obscene to me.  Bruce's 15%, ethically speaking, sounds much better.  Nothing to do with Grey, who's a great guy.  His company sets the rules.

T
My Personal Collection