Author Topic: The Star Wars Movie Galaxy.....  (Read 29522 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: The Star Wars Movie Galaxy.....
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 04:12:05 AM »
Hamill recently said his appearance at end of SW7:TFA was best/most famous entrance in movie history:

To each their own of course.  Others from a different strain of interest might cite Ursula Andress' appearance from the sea.  For example.

Time will tell of course.

guest4955

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 11:02:37 AM »
To each their own of course.  Others from a different strain of interest might cite Ursula Andress' appearance from the sea.  For example.

Time will tell of course.

Another article described filming chaos of Solo b4 Ron Howard took over. They were doing 25-30 takes per scene, often veering off script!

Howard reshot the ENTIRE movie with just 2-3 takes per scene, will be sole credited director.

guest4955

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 10:09:37 PM »

guest4955

Re: The Star Wars Movie Galaxy
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2018, 11:20:26 AM »
Five more days, seems to be getting positive buzz. Box office “experts” predict it will surpass Rogue One. Ron Howard said Lucasfilm may green light direct Solo sequels if it’s a hit:

guest4955

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2018, 06:28:03 PM »
The major movie critics mostly like Solo ... but the reviews are significantly less favorable than for two of the other Disney-era SW films:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2018, 06:48:08 PM »
Reviews are good for the two that really matter, Variety and Hwd Reporter.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2018, 10:56:35 PM »
Speaking of Variety, prob the best analysis of Solo:

http://variety.com/2018/film/features/solo-a-star-wars-story-directors-reshoots-ron-howard-1202817841/

Dueling box office spin:

Neato T:

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2018, 11:35:03 PM »
Saw Solo tonight and really enjoyed it.  Some great film technique and cool homage to some 1960s and 1970s camera angles along with all the contemporary goodies.  Glover as Lando had incredible Colt 45, Billy Dee inspired magic.  The actor playing Han reminded me of a young Jack Nicholson infused with Harrison Ford's Indie.   Great all around cast.  It's also one of the very few recent special effects movies where the effects seemed natural and not distracting to me. Okie
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:50:05 PM by okiehawker »

guest4955

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2018, 02:37:47 PM »
Saw Solo tonight and really enjoyed it.  Some great film technique and cool homage to some 1960s and 1970s camera angles along with all the contemporary goodies.  Glover as Lando had incredible Colt 45, Billy Dee inspired magic.  The actor playing Han reminded me of a young Jack Nicholson infused with Harrison Ford's Indie.   Great all around cast.  It's also one of the very few recent special effects movies where the effects seemed natural and not distracting to me. Okie

thumbsup.gif woohoo

1995 Boba Fett HQ mylar 27x41 1S sold by Killian Ent.

2018 new Boba Fett movie in the works!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-boba-fett-movie-is-happening-james-mangold-direct-1113273

guest4955

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2018, 09:54:29 PM »
Saw it today, it's an easy A, summer rollercoaster thrills, VERY surprising cameo by "new" bad guy.

Average CS score is B+:

Ha! Part 1:

Ha! part 2:

Yo. Wow. He was FIRST to audition! (BTW Harrison Ford initially in 1975 only HELPED GL to audition other actors. GL eventually warmed to the possibility of hiring HF only indirectly through this process!)

Lotsa press reports about "deeply disappointing" box office. Oh well, guess Star Wars fatigue is here in full "Force." (Last Jedi also underperformed by $300 mill first.)

Guess most of these spinoffs will never take off or get produced solely for upcoming Disney streaming service:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-who-should-get-a-spinoff-movie-solo-1111275

guest4955

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2018, 10:49:13 PM »
9 more SW movies 🎥 in the planning stages ... and this one HAD the best potential (except for SW9). Hmmm....

guest4955

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2018, 11:34:34 PM »
Bring in the fourth-string quarterback !🙃

guest4955

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2018, 10:02:25 PM »
Yo. Wow. MF didn't escape this time! Solo cost Disney $400 million and is a certifiable bust financially but was a terrific film IMUO.

Saw it.  To me it was entertaining, but something just wasn't sitting right about it with me.  A few days later I read this and thought it captured the reasons I wasn't connecting with it.

Han Solo Was the Coolest Star Wars Character Until 'Solo'
Han was cool and mysterious. Then we got a spinoff that ruined the mystery.
[VICE NEWS REVIEW]

The most important line from the review: Solo fails because to explain Han Solo is to kill him.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2018, 08:03:03 PM »
I would love to know the business plan for the Lucas Film purchase.

So lets chuck some figures out there.  I am guessing that 10 films would be a rough business plan, based on absolutely nothing.

Disney has paid, and will pay:
$4bn for LucasFilm
10 x films @ ~$300m per film to make
10 x films @ ~$300m per film to market (if the rule of thumb still holds that the cost of production should equal the marketing costs...?)
All this comes to $10bn

If they are aiming for $2bn grosses per film, $20bn for all 10 films, loosely, after all this effort, there is a $10bn profit.

It'll work out.  Indeed, $4bn might be seen in some quarters to be a bargain to pay for LucasFilm.

Feel free to shout me down in subject matter, supposition and indeed the maths.

guest4955

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2018, 12:49:33 AM »
I would love to know the business plan for the Lucas Film purchase.

So lets chuck some figures out there.  I am guessing that 10 films would be a rough business plan, based on absolutely nothing.

Disney has paid, and will pay:
$4bn for LucasFilm
10 x films @ ~$300m per film to make
10 x films @ ~$300m per film to market (if the rule of thumb still holds that the cost of production should equal the marketing costs...?)
All this comes to $10bn

If they are aiming for $2bn grosses per film, $20bn for all 10 films, loosely, after all this effort, there is a $10bn profit.

It'll work out.  Indeed, $4bn might be seen in some quarters to be a bargain to pay for LucasFilm.

Feel free to shout me down in subject matter, supposition and indeed the maths.

Marketing is $150 mill, they get ginormous "ancillary" rev from theme parks, streaming, toys. Even Solo may break even despite all the negativity.

guest4955

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2018, 01:02:08 AM »
[The next three ‘Star Wars’ films] were going to get into a microbiotic world. But there’s this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force.

Even GL admits fans would have "hated" it  :P

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/06/george-lucas-reveals-his-plan-for-star-wars-7-through-9-and-it-was-awful/

guest4955

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2018, 05:26:50 PM »

guest4955

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2018, 06:57:11 PM »
My "good deed" du jour - this got 12K+ likes (this is old screenshot) on Reddit and I reposted on a FB MP Group and a "high level" LucasFilm publicist contacted me for a link to contact him:

guest4955

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2018, 12:39:16 PM »
Sounds like an Onion.com faux story! But no....

WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN
Mark Hamill Confirms He Wanted George Lucas to Make Boba Fett Luke’s Mom
https://www.vulture.com/2018/11/mark-hamill-confirms-he-pitched-boba-fett-as-lukes-mom.html

"I have always been more than willing to generously share my many, many terrible ideas in the off-chance we might stumble across one that could actually be useful."

I can relate, having posted 13K times here, there, and everywhere! Most met grim social media "meh" disdain. Sad!  :-\ 8)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2018, 07:26:30 PM »
Interesting idea from Hamill, Sundance.  Darth and Boba Vader!  Or, is it Vader-Fett?  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2019, 11:55:16 PM »
We watched Solo again on Netflix and it still gets a great review from my family.  Was it determined negative Russian troll reviews really did hurt the movie at the box office?  Okie

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2019, 10:57:40 PM »
This is a pretty cool Canadian connection to Lucas and SW

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21-87

https://www.nfb.ca/film/21-87/

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2019, 11:35:41 PM »
This is a pretty cool Canadian connection to Lucas and SW

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21-87

https://www.nfb.ca/film/21-87/

Hi Vick! I just watched the 21-87 short film on your advice.  It's very "in the moment" as it changes scenes to me on first impression.  I need to watch it some more times.  What did you think about it?  I wonder what it was like seeing it for the first time circa 1963?  After so many years to me, the impact must surely change because of the derivatives we've all perhaps seen.  I'm also thinking about Star Wars and its use of the old with the mechanical "new" (at least to us in the 1970s).  At least the dialogue went with the images in Star Wars, eh?! Then, there's "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."  Okie

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2019, 08:38:16 PM »
hey Okie those are great observations for sure.  I read in another interview the reference to "the Force" around the 3:30 mark also contributed in part to Lucas' concept of the Force in Star Wars.  Who knows!   thumbsup.gif