Author Topic: Will older movies be forgotten?  (Read 41093 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Will older movies be forgotten?
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »
Ahh yeah it's ok, I'm on a movie WATECERS forum also, and know the el cheapo one in Australia is done for all DVDs and has a button to change for diff regions of bluray on the remote.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2013, 10:09:56 PM »
Maybe you know this, but BE CAREFUL with all region Blu Ray players. Most of them can only play all region DVD but the blu ray itself is not all region. I know that for a fact (yes, bought one had to give it away. useless),

Im about to order a blu ray player which is both dvd region free and bluray region free. It is the Oppo 105AU and has excellent reviews. A bit pricey but is very close to an all in one component (apart from an amplifier)

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2013, 10:17:36 PM »
Question Steve,

Why?
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2013, 11:20:35 PM »
Question Steve,

Why?

Haha, good question. I recently got all my hifi/video/tv gear out of storage to listen to as I am on the computer too much. I might see what all the fuss is about some of the movies you people mention. If I can get my stereo to output some good bass first, then that might stop me falling asleep in the movies

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2013, 12:21:38 PM »
I bought a laserdisc today - I don't even have a player! It was cheap and I love the cover art.

I've done that. 
It is a bad disease we folks have.

Pronay

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2013, 10:28:33 PM »
but a lot of films I treasure from the '30s-'50s are becoming lost.  That includes treasures like It Happened One Night, If I Had a Million, Monkey Business, You Can't Take it With You, Harvey, Arsenic and Old Lace, etc.

How many of you under 35 have ever seen a Thin Man movie?  The Topper series?  How about The Big Sleep?  Catch 22 or Slaughterhouse 5?  Stagecoach or The Cheyenne Social Club?  Just goes on and on.

well, I'm in my mid 20's, and have ~1160 ratings on my flixster account,  and I've only seen one of those you listed (Catch-22, thought it was decent, but a mess, never read the book though). 

the sheer volume of material out there... it's hard enough keeping up with current releases if you're not an avid movie watcher, and I think for some folks in my age range there have to be good movie choices made by whomever to introduce the different genres or time periods.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2013, 02:05:20 AM »
There is lots of movies, I do disagree that keeping up with current ones is hard, or rather, I tend to let 99% slip by, except ones I feel I need to see on the big screen, which isn't  often.
The way I go about t is, steady stream of older stuff, leave newer stuff to brew, if n a couple, few or more years its still something that sounds like it needs a watch, get to it.
For the most part, all these amazing must see movies are non entities after a while. The ones that hold up are not too many.
I really like movies from the late 60s to mid 70s and there's a lot f them, so I'd probably choose something from then, over the latest thing, although I love movies from all decades.
Depends on my mood.
My to watch pile here at home would be in the thousands, and always growing, not a list, a physical presence in my room, as more people send me movies I have to see. If they stopped making movies today, I'd never run out in my lifetime, so no big deal.

As to good movie choices for you whipper snappers, I guess the best thing is finding someone/s who have similar tastes. Some people who I like a lot recommend movies to me, and I put n the DONT BOTHER pile as I don't trust them, whereas others I know share similar taste and all I need is a heads up.

An Error Has Occurred!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2013, 05:39:32 AM »
The way I go about t is, steady stream of older stuff, leave newer stuff to brew, if n a couple, few or more years its still something that sounds like it needs a watch, get to it.
For the most part, all these amazing must see movies are non entities after a while. The ones that hold up are not too many.

That's similar to my philosophy also.
It's so easy to get caught up in the hype and run out to see the latest blockbuster only to be disappointed.

I think that most older films will fade into the past, but the real classics of cinema will eventually find their way into the home theaters of true film enthusiasts.
The good ones will live on.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2019, 09:22:02 PM »
Nearly six year bump.  I've actually been watching more older movies with my kids lately.  Between Amazon Prime, YouTube public domain, some Netflix, Fathom Events, and our public library selection, we watch one or two old movies a month.  My two youngest aged 14 and 11 really like the Marx Brothers.  Musicals do well in our family, too.  Anyone else having old movie luck with younger folks?  Okie

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2019, 12:21:09 PM »
Hi Okie,

I am having a little bit of luck with my 14 year old son.  When he was younger I introduced him to the old classic monster movies.  In a sense he became a monster kid in the 2000's.  Tonight I am taking him to Duke University to watch "The Hitch-hiker" on 35mm.  I think he will have a good time.

Matthew

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2019, 01:48:54 PM »
Hi Okie,

I am having a little bit of luck with my 14 year old son.  When he was younger I introduced him to the old classic monster movies.  In a sense he became a monster kid in the 2000's.  Tonight I am taking him to Duke University to watch "The Hitch-hiker" on 35mm.  I think he will have a good time.

Matthew

Hi Matthew, Monster Kid 2000 sounds pretty darn cool!  Duke is showing The Hitch-Hiker on 35mm!  You guys sure are getting some great dad/son time along with being spoiled with a fantastic movie experience.  I'm jealous!  Do you think there will be discussion before or after the movie with faculty etc.? Okie

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2019, 07:48:54 PM »
I think it's safe to say some older movies will never be forgotten - Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, Frankenstein, etc. The problem is most younger people today simply will not sit still for a black and white movie. Forget about films with subtitles or silents. One guy I worked with knew film, but his film education started with Star Wars, and nothing before. I tried to clue him into others he might like, Forbidden Planet, Planet of the Apes, Danger Diabolik, etc. He would have none of it simply because they were "old and not realistic". Today's CGI makes everything before it stupid looking and stodgy, he said. I've come to the conclusion that todays movies have overstimulated the teenagers watching them to the point of no return. You know how when kids grow up they dismiss what their parents like, but pay close attention to what their grandparents like? Maybe that's the answer. Wait a few more years and the maybe the 1960's - 1970's degree of film appreciation will return.

One time when I had my store a girl of 12 or 13 came in and asked me if I had any pictures of Humphrey Bogart. I was amazed. I showed her a binder with about 15 nice head shots of Bogie and she bought 5 of them. Before she left I told her "you know, most kids your age have no idea who Humphrey Bogart is." She replied "well, most of the other kids are stupid". Touche! Maybe there's hope yet!

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2019, 07:16:58 AM »
Hi Matthew, Monster Kid 2000 sounds pretty darn cool!  Duke is showing The Hitch-Hiker on 35mm!  You guys sure are getting some great dad/son time along with being spoiled with a fantastic movie experience.  I'm jealous!  Do you think there will be discussion before or after the movie with faculty etc.? Okie

Hi Okie,

I just recently found out that Duke (nearby) is showing some classic films, and on 35mm.  I just missed Detour last week.  They always do an introduction and then screen the film.  There is also another older theater in Durham called The Carolina that shows classic films, although not always on 35mm.  My son's Christmas present to me was that he would go to three films of my choosing.  I took him to the Carolina in Durham to see Baby Face for film number one.  I also have on his agenda to go there and see Night Nurse, Female, and an added bonus of Shanghai Express (I traded a hockey game with him for a movie).  He is enjoying the films enough that I think I am planting a seed that when he gets older he might return to the classic films himself.  And I have to admit I get a great deal of enjoyment seeing the films with him.  Especially when he reacts to the film at the proper times which tells me he is paying attention and is "into" the film.

Matthew

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2019, 01:47:33 PM »
Hi Cabman,  I like your Bogie young fan ray of hope!  What year do you think that was when she visited your store? I'm always surprised when people visit our house for the first time: it's the kids rather than the adults that usually notice the old movie posters on our walls.  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2019, 04:06:19 PM »
I agree with Cabman 100%.  We’ve had 4 nannies working for us since the kids were born, all between 20 and 26.  One of them didn’t know who Harrison Ford was, 3 of them had never seen a black & white movies and ALL of them didn’t care for movies before they were born.  I don’t blame them, there is so much entertainment nowadays and in your hands.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2019, 06:33:02 PM »
Hi Okie,

I just recently found out that Duke (nearby) is showing some classic films, and on 35mm.  I just missed Detour last week.  They always do an introduction and then screen the film.  There is also another older theater in Durham called The Carolina that shows classic films, although not always on 35mm.  My son's Christmas present to me was that he would go to three films of my choosing.  I took him to the Carolina in Durham to see Baby Face for film number one.  I also have on his agenda to go there and see Night Nurse, Female, and an added bonus of Shanghai Express (I traded a hockey game with him for a movie).  He is enjoying the films enough that I think I am planting a seed that when he gets older he might return to the classic films himself.  And I have to admit I get a great deal of enjoyment seeing the films with him.  Especially when he reacts to the film at the proper times which tells me he is paying attention and is "into" the film.

Matthew

Hi Matthew, Sounds like you made some great horse trading with your son!  I wish we had all the big screen options you have to see older movies.  I've rented local theatres before and have hosted old movie nights, especially around Halloween.  T's nannies and Harrison Ford is pretty amazing.  Maybe we can get some young, popular singers/actors to Snapchat their favorite old movies their grandparents also like?!   Okie

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2019, 10:33:06 PM »
Okie, my store was open from 1978 to 1987, so I think the young Bogie fan came in around 1984, or thereabout. I wonder if she still has those stills.

Eatbrie, being a dyed-in-the-wool Monsterkid from the mid 60's, watching the old Universal monsters led to an appreciation of other older films. Also it was the time culturally when Bogie, the Marx Brothers, W.C. Fields, Laurel and Hardy were being appreciated, if not idolized by a new generation. Except for a few savvy kids, I don't see that today. As good as CGI is today I think it can be a disservice when it comes to younger folks watching and appreciating older films. I'd like to think I'm wrong about this but it seems the standard by which todays audience judges what film is popular has slipped way below the waterline. 98% of it is just pablum and eye candy where no thought is required to enjoy it. I pains me to think you would have to drag a kid kicking and screaming into a theatre to see HORSEFEATHERS, CITIZEN KANE, TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, THE PROFESSIONALS, HIGH NOON, or even BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2019, 10:54:17 PM »
Hi Cabman, Fortunately, my kids aged 19, 17, 14, and 11 have seen old movies on the big screen, including Bride of Frankenstein.  Being in small town U.S.A., we do have to try a little harder to find big screen opportunities. The candies Airheads or Reese's Cups (tangent: Gal Gadot liked them for the first time on the Jimmy Fallon show) seem to have a magic appeal for our kids at the movie theatre, too!  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2019, 11:07:51 PM »
I hear where you're coming from, Cabman, and I know a lot of folks, especially in these parts, will agree with you, but I want to try and stay away from that train of thought as much as I can.  I grew up in the 80s, to me 80s movies are the best and most fun movie making has to offer.  I also studied film at La Sorbonne in Paris and USC in Los Angeles, so I have a broad film education that led me to appreciate older movies, and eventually to collect some older posters.  But it ends with me.  I will try to convey some of my knowledge to my kids, do screenings, but if it doesn't stick, I will not push further.  The world is moving forward, not backward, and I hope to never tell my kids that the world was better in my time, like my parents and grandparents did to me, because I don't believe it serves any purpose.  The world was not better back then, just different.  Movies were not better either.  There were good and bad movies like there are today.  It takes a town to make a movie, and everyone on set has the best of intentions and works as hard as they can.  The results might not be up to your standards, I get that, but they are to lots of young folks.  My wife works for a video game named Overwatch.  It's big, really big.  40+ million players in 2 years.  I don't know anything about it, but I can see how excited young people get over it.  And this is great, the future.

All of this to say that the lack of interest for older movies from younger generations does not bother me in the slightest.  If my kids don't like my posters, they can burn them all for all I care.  This is me and this is them.  My world and theirs.

T
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:10:00 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2019, 11:13:35 PM »
Older, classic and well produced movies will never die.

The crap that is produced today... all in the name of the "almighty buck" will be forgotten soon enough.

All one has to do is look online, or in stores and wonder what all these no-name titles are and when they came and went from the theaters.

As well as most of the actors of today... who are a flash on the pan... and soon to be forgotten. (thank god).  :-X

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2019, 11:17:17 PM »
my kids aged 19, 17, 14, and 11...

That sounds like a lot of fun!!!  Busy times in Okieworld.  My kids are 5 (x2) and 3 months.  So I have a little time before I get there, but I'm looking forward to it.

thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2019, 11:46:11 PM »
That sounds like a lot of fun!!!  Busy times in Okieworld.  My kids are 5 (x2) and 3 months.  So I have a little time before I get there, but I'm looking forward to it.

thumbsup.gif

T

T, Have you had any 5 year old moments where they easily find solutions to what adults don't easily see?   Lil' stinkers!   Okie