Author Topic: Storing folded posters  (Read 17900 times)

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
Storing folded posters
« on: December 21, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »
Is it better to store folded posters folded or unfolded? I tried searching but couldn't find the right terms to find anything useful.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Storing folded posters
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 05:33:28 PM »
Is it better to store folded posters folded or unfolded? I tried searching but couldn't find the right terms to find anything useful.

bag 'em, board 'em, box 'em

www.bagsunlimited.com

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 09:02:30 PM »
bag 'em, board 'em, box 'em

www.bagsunlimited.com

Thanks. I have one of their boxes but now I need to pick up some bags and boards

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 09:42:40 PM »
sm1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 10:19:06 PM »
If you have the room (or storage space like flat files), then unfolded would be great. Less stress on the folds when having to unfold them when looking at them.

But folded and bagged is great, too, in storage boxes, if space is at a premium.

TLC is paramount, imho.

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 10:34:25 PM »
I bagged mine and they are is stacks (same size) about 100 high in a darkened box.

It is good to let them have a little humidity to help them not dry out, but haven't figured out how best to do that.Most of mine are ziplocked in bags which I think is a no no

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 08:23:10 PM »
I bagged mine and they are is stacks (same size) about 100 high in a darkened box.

It is good to let them have a little humidity to help them not dry out, but haven't figured out how best to do that.Most of mine are ziplocked in bags which I think is a no no

Wow,,,

Size (height) does seem to matter in the poster hobby.

Good on you, Steve.

I'm jealous.  8)

-Jeff

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 07:29:33 PM »
I came here tonight with exactly the same question.  I have some rolled posters and some folded.  Storing them flat would be ideal as I have already found out that unfolding and folding causes stress to already old posters (and I am learning how to correct fold).  My ex-Mother-in-Law was great for storing things in plastic bins.  I don't suppose anyone has come across any poster size (or larger) plastic bins with lid that would nicely fit under a bed or the like?  I have done some basic searches but no luck. 

Thanks,
Matthew

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 06:57:21 AM »
I have all my folded posters in boxes from IKEA!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 12:10:43 PM »
I came here tonight with exactly the same question.  I have some rolled posters and some folded.  Storing them flat would be ideal as I have already found out that unfolding and folding causes stress to already old posters (and I am learning how to correct fold).  My ex-Mother-in-Law was great for storing things in plastic bins.  I don't suppose anyone has come across any poster size (or larger) plastic bins with lid that would nicely fit under a bed or the like?  I have done some basic searches but no luck. 

Thanks,
Matthew

Matthew, you're looking for a storage tub large enough to store your posters flat and unfolded/unrolled, right?

So it would have to be a tub that was approx 30x42x6 inches high (for under bed storage).

I did a look last night and could find nothing in anything close to those dimensions. I found a couple that were 30 inches long but only 18 or 20 inches wide.

I recall back in the day, my folks had these 2 huge under the bed storage containers. They were made of metal (maybe thin steel or aluminum) with a hinged lid. My guess is that they were about 60 inches long, 36 inches wide and about 5-6 inches deep. They had hinged lids. My mom could keep dresses or suits from my dad in these, totally unfolded.

I dont know if such a size critter is made anymore or not. Something like that could work - just line it with acid free tissue or acid free foam core.

-Jeff

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 09:39:40 PM »
Jeff,

Thank you for the response (and for the poster above regarding IKEA boxes).  I looked again for plastic and found nothing that size.  Old metal might be interesting.  I am also asking a buddy of mine at work who is in our shipping and receiving to be on the lookout for suitable boxes.  I was most interested in your comment about the acid free liner.  So, whenever I find this storage container, be it metal or cardboard, I need to line it with acid free paper? 

Thanks,
Matthew

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 10:20:53 PM »
Jeff,

Thank you for the response (and for the poster above regarding IKEA boxes).  I looked again for plastic and found nothing that size.  Old metal might be interesting.  I am also asking a buddy of mine at work who is in our shipping and receiving to be on the lookout for suitable boxes.  I was most interested in your comment about the acid free liner.  So, whenever I find this storage container, be it metal or cardboard, I need to line it with acid free paper? 

Thanks,
Matthew

Matthew,

I would do that just to be on safe side, if the box you end up getting is wood, cardboard or metal.

If you find a tub of that size made with the same plastic as the smaller versions, then I dont think it would be as important to have either tissue, foam core or acid free paper inside. It was more for a storage container you might find in a larger size that was made with those other materials, especially one made with just plain cardboard, which is very acidic.

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 05:18:59 PM »

Flat is better.  No need for extravagant setups.  Do not overspend on storage.  If you have room, metal flat files are the best.  If not, in between two pieces of cardboard and under your bed.  Stack ‘em up.  If have 300 posters per drawers in my flat files.  I’m sure you can stack more than that under your bed.  For safety, just use a sheet of acid free paper between the cardboard and the first and last poster.  Simple, cheap.  If not, folded is the next choice.  Do not roll folded posters.

T
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:25:44 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 06:53:21 PM »
If you live where the paper eating insect, silverfish, are present, you will definitely want to seal your posters inside good quality storage bags and/or in a tightly sealed container. You guys and gals out West may not have these paper eating fiends, though in the South and East they can be amazing trouble.  I've found them dead even inside a well sealed mylar bag.  When they are young, they can get into the tiniest of openings.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 07:18:46 PM »
We have those little critters here in so CA, too. I saw one not too long ago, after I got back from the holidays.

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 08:15:33 PM »
We have those little critters here in so CA, too. I saw one not too long ago, after I got back from the holidays.

I hope it wasn't enjoying one of your posters with a nice Merlot?!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 08:21:03 PM »
I have never seen any.  What do they look like?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 08:38:08 PM »
I have never seen any.  What do they look like?

T

T, Here is a picture and link to Wikipedia.  These bugs are really challenging for paper collectibles in the US Southeast.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish

Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 10:10:35 PM »
That's disgusting.  And they eat paper?  How big do they get?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 09:18:21 AM »
I spend 100 every 2 months on pest control to keep those bastards away from the inside of the house! 

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 04:22:25 PM »
That's disgusting.  And they eat paper?  How big do they get?

T
Very tiny when young to about an inch full grown.  I believe what they really like is the glue/compounds that hold the paper together.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:43:56 PM by erik1925 »

Offline jagpost

• Beginner
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 03:05:05 PM »
I recently purchased a "Mirror Box" from U-Haul which is a great size for unfolded poster and quite inexpensive.  It is not acid free but all posters placed in the box are inside mylar sleeves so should not be an issue.  The boxes are available on-line for a relatively inexpensive shipping charge and come packed in an even larger box.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 03:34:39 PM »

-Jeff