Author Topic: Favorite Purchases of 2017  (Read 13393 times)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Favorite Purchases of 2017
« on: December 19, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »
Hi. I can't believe no one has started this yet. I know there is still a little bit o' time left of December, but...What were your favorite poster purchases of 2017? For me, it was not nearly the banner year last year was. But that's okay. i still walked away with some nice things.

10: FRIDAY THE 13TH (British Quad)

This was a long-wanted poster i honestly never thought I'd get. Yippie!!!! It is mine after all and is now hanging in my living room. Love it.

9: FLESHPOT ON 42ND STREET

Another long-sought poster, FLESHPOT is by horror auteur (or, in his case, "horror auturd) Andy Milligan. Milligan also was known for his sexploitation flicks, most of which all copies have been destroyed (His distributor melted them down for their silver value). This film still survives and I'm thrilled to have the poster. This also turned out to be formerly owned by my friend Scott on the East Coast who collected posters but that had committed suicide. We talked about this poster now and again and he'd often ask if I had gotten one yet. It was only after scoring this poster (and a few others of Scott's) that I found out he had died.

8: SHRIEKS IN THE NIGHT SHOW

Not a movie poster in the true sense, but the live spook show this poster is promoting did play in movie theaters and a horror movie or two was included.  The poster is huge and is now framed and living in my hallway.

7: JAIL BAIT

It was a toss up between this and BRIDE AND THE BEAST, but I went with JAIL BAIT as I like the overall poster better. Both posters though were for ED WOOD flicks. WOW! Was I ever excited to get these. JAIL BAIT also got a nudge upwards over BRIDE AND THE BEAST because it features a young STEVE REEVES who starred later in the first HERCULES movie...which led to a whole string of flicks that i find pretty cheesy and fun to watch (although some are downright boring...). Now, if only I could score some of the "good" Ed Wood titles, like "PLAN 9", "GLEN OR GLENDA" (a US version---I have an Argentinian one), "BRIDE OF THE MONSTER" or "ORGY OF THE DEAD"....

6: THE HEADLESS GHOST

Such a cool poster for  a crappy movie. I dig it. It makes a great companion poster to the one i got last year, THE THING THAT COULDN'T DIE (which also features a headless ghost carrying its own head!).

5: THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE

Not the most exciting poster ever---and certainly, with its limited color spectrum, one of the blandest on the list...but also a camp classic in its own right. I have this hanging in a guest room. I am thrilled to have it.

4: TOBOR (Italian 2 foglio)

Wow! I am still amazed i scored this. I just wish I had a US version as well. But wanting something IS what keeps the hunt going, right?

3: COLOR ME BLOOD RED

FINALLY! This took forever to track down and buy. This is the final horror title poster I needed from HG LEWIS. This is my least favorite of his horror films and yet it was the hardest to find---how odd.

2: BEDLAM

Vintage Boris Karloff? Yes, please!

1: THE AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN

Last year, my favorite purchase was WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST. It's only fitting the poster for the original movie makes my No. 1 spot this year. ZOWIE!

What were your favorites?

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Favorite Purchases of 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »
Not a banner year for me either.  I've actually slowed down my purchases quite a lot.  Just busy with other things.  More important things.

Still tough to choose your favorites.  Here are 12 I like in no particular order...

T
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:22:29 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 01:30:10 AM »
Nice posters, fellas!  My favorite from T's haul is "La belle et la bête".  My 3-year old is obsessed with the Disney version. I wonder if she's ready for Cocteau?

In 2017, my purchases skewed more towards non-movie posters.  I still like Mexican movie posters, of course. It's just getting harder to find the ones I want!

Here are my favorites purchases from the year (movie and non-movie).

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 08:40:53 AM »
I'm glad to see I had a hand in helping you acquire several posters from your best of 2017 list T!   thumbsup.gif

Here are a few of mine...

Ostatni Etap (1947) Polish B1 -- This is one of the earliest movies made about the Holocaust -- directed by Wanda Jakubowska who was liberated from Auschwitz just 2 years prior to filming.  The movie was filmed at the actual camp and nearly all the actors were formerly interred there.  This poster design may look familiar as it was re-issued in the late 1950s.  However, this particular copy is a VERY rare 1st printing and took me the better part of a decade to track down.  An important piece of film/history IMHO.

Peeping Tom (1960) day-glo style International 1-sheet -- Only known copy?  Regardless, I had to have it for my day-glo collection... even if it's not the most inspiring design.

Thunderball (1965) US Subway -- Another rare one I've been after since I started collecting. 

Dr. No (1962) Japanese STB -- As long as we are talking about rare Bonds :)

Filibus (1915) Italian 8-foglio -- This is one I didn't realize I had to have until I saw it.  Cross-dressing, lesbian sky pirate with a Jules Verne-worthy ship from 1915?  Enough said!!!

And last, but definitely not least...

Drunken Angel (1948) Japanese B3 advertising a live theatrical performance!

Drunken Angel was only the 7th film by Akira Kurosawa and it was his first of pairing with Toshiro Mifune. This poster advertises a 2-act, 7-scene live performance of Drunken Angel by Toho Studios Theater. Incredibly, the full cast reprised their film roles for the stage -- from Toshiro Mifune as the volatile, tubercular criminal, to other long time Kurosawa collaborator Takashi Shimura as the jaded physician... even Akira Kurosawa himself took over staging and directing duties for this limited time special event! Following the release of Drunken Angel, Toho Studios underwent a brief labor strike -- which was the likely impetus for staging this live performance. I would wager that even the most die-hard Kurosawa fans have never heard about the theatrical release of Drunken Angel.  From my limited research, it appears that the handful of live performances over a few short weeks in late 1948 were the only known instances of Kurosawa directing for the stage.  The rarity of these live performances by the Japanese auteur, let alone the existence of this poster, cannot be overstated IMHO!

On a side note... this poster is actually a double-bill and also advertises a single-act performance of Anton Chekhov’s 1890 play A Marriage Proposal, also staged and directed by Akira Kurosawa. The cast information for A Marriage Proposal is not listed and very little is known about this production, but it's believed that the cast from Drunken Angel likely performed in both plays -- Toshiro Mifune and Takashi Shimura included!   

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 12:03:34 PM »

Filibus (1915) Italian 8-foglio -- This is one I didn't realize I had to have until I saw it.  Cross-dressing, lesbian sky pirate with a Jules Verne-worthy ship from 1915?  Enough said!!!

That poster is amazing, Matt! I can see why even without prior knowledge of it, it would grab one's attention and demand to be purchased!

The film does indeed sound fascinating:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filibus

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 02:05:24 PM »

I've seen the film! It's so charming and so so much fun.

-

I've been downsizing for the past two years now so I've just the one poster buy for 2017. For my only buy, it's too embarrassing to mention.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 08:43:43 PM »
 clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap
Some extraordinary posters gathered here this year!

guest4955

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 08:33:13 AM »
Great stuff here already, especially the Barbarella and Air France!

I started off in April 2017 with 40 posters (some hidden away in tubes buried in the closet!).

I ended up with 323, mostly MPs, including 39 S2s/HQ digital repros.

Favorite US classic MPs I did not own in Round 1:

Fav "new to Round 2" international:

Fav Round 2 modern MPs and misc (click to enlarge):

That's my last 2017 post, so...

Offline GemGem

• Hobbyist
    • GemGem movie posters
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 09:40:02 AM »
Only bought a couple of posters this year (the one thing that kills collecting is wedding planning!) but boy... I got two holy grails...

Roll, roll, roll, Rollergirl!!!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 09:55:32 AM »
That Monte Cristo is great !

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 11:01:43 AM »
Love The Great Dictator.  Great poster!  And congrats on the wedding.  I'm assuming yours.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline GemGem

• Hobbyist
    • GemGem movie posters
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 11:05:10 AM »
Thank you! yes, my wedding. VERY heavily Monty Python themed hence LOTS OF DIY AND NO MONEY

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 11:40:23 AM »
Done or upcoming?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline GemGem

• Hobbyist
    • GemGem movie posters
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 11:49:13 AM »
upcoming. Oct 2019. a long time without poster buying :-(

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 12:48:39 AM »
I already posted here, and it's debatable whether this pictorial map I just received in the mail qualifies as a poster...
but I can't resist posting it anyway, as it's certainly one of my favorite purchases of 2017.

1932 map of Mexico City, where the city plan is stylized in the form of an Aztec warrior. Awesome, right? Also comes with original decorative envelope to hold the folded map.

guest4955

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 04:12:48 PM »
I already posted here, and it's debatable whether this pictorial map I just received in the mail qualifies as a poster...

Our benevolent founders didn't call it "all"poster forum for nothing!  ;D

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 08:39:19 PM »
Prints are also part of my favorite purchases.

I bought 37 in '17, way less than the years before.  These four are my favorite...

Rory Kurtz' Ex_Machina mirror chrome foil variant

Matthew Peak's Halloween variant

Philippe Poirier's ET regular and variant

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 06:10:38 AM »
Only bought a few posters in 2017. Very happy with my two Dutch posters that I've never seen before and always love a good Martinati.
Ah well, can't seem to upload photos. Maybe later then.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 06:33:17 AM by Mondo Hazardo »

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 01:42:25 PM »
ah, here they are

oh yes and this one

guest4955

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 04:38:55 PM »