Author Topic: How often do you attend theaters to watch movies vs. Netflix/HBO - and why?  (Read 4423 times)

guest4955

I watched tons o' movies when I was a youngling, but I'm 49 now and my entire post-college life have attended a movie theater once/twice a year, if that much. I never paid for cable TV and have never used a DVR, so rarely watched them at home.

Now that I'm not working I'm the King of Free Time and have hitch-hiked to theaters to see "fun"/roller-coaster thrills/sci-fi movies like:

Blade Runner 2049 (twice)
Wonder Woman (twice)
SW:TLJ (this week, partly spoiled after I unwisely skimmed a negative user review)
Murder on the Orient Express
Close Encounters 40th
Justice League

I also feel obligated to support historical films in theaters:

Dunkirk
Darkest Hour (future)
The Post (future)

The gameplan was to watch lotsa movies on pretty-cheap streaming services like Netflix/HBO/etc. but so far I've only watched a grand total of two (Wizard of Lies/DeNiro and SW:R1). Why? Too busy entertaining/terrorizing several online forums and watching 3-4 hours per day of MSNBC news shows and infotainment shows like The Today Show.

How about you - and also does watching movies motivate you to buy the MP (yes, almost always for me)?

[PS I'm posting this on several forums as an experiment.]

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
I see just a few movies at the cinema per year. But I'm spending more time with my aging mother and to keep her entertained I play one or two movies a weekend off the hard drive. Just a few mins ago watched Walkabout (1971). I do want to get this poster, but rarely for any others I see.

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
I've slowed down on cinema trips. Now it's maybe once a month, if even that. With a marathon of viewings situated during a film festival. But now I get to make a dent into things I've been wanting to watch for years thanks to downloads/streaming. Seeing a film you've only heard about for years is really thrilling for me!

But I've always been in the habit of watching loads of films. Growing up, it was what we did as a family. Movie marathons, renting VHS'. Having older siblings meant mostly age inappropriate, and honestly some weird shit. thumbsup.gif

Liking a film absolutely makes me want the poster. It's my only motivation, but i'm learning I don't need everything I like!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
I see one movie a week at the theater.  Sometimes two.  The rest I see at home.  I have a database of 6,000 movies, which I never watch because I spend too much time watching sports, HBO, CNN and some of my favs TV shows like The Walking Dead.  Sports and CNN take up a lot of my time.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

A couple of fellas elsewhere bragged/confessed they watched one movie per day and one of them "loves" 10 hour movies!

Now, I kind of don’t care where it comes from as long as I can watch an average
of a movie a day.
Of course being a big 3D fan - I liked them at the theaters - but also watch 3D
at home - but for some reason the 3D home choices are being dropped by my
providers.

What I am a true fan of today is something that did not exist until recently -
10 hour movies -
I just watched Mindhunter and Godless and I gotta say - 10 hours of something I
like in 2 or 3 sittings is like heaven to me.
First noticed the 30 minute scene (pretty much non-existent a few years back)
on Breaking Bad.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
HI, On average I have seen about two films a week over the year (excluding holidays) in theatres (or cinemas as we call them here in the UK) . Sometimes I binge it particularly if I have been away for a couple of weeks and not been ago to go, I will do a big catch up. For example, I was unavailable to go to the cinema the last 10 days of November, so over the last two weeks I have seen quite a lot of films in our city centre cinema.

So far in December I have seen 13 films on theatrical release.

Star Wars - Last Jedi (3d in Imax) - will be seeing it again in a few days over Christmas)
It's A Wonderful Life (rerelease 4k)
Blade Runner 2049 (second viewing in iMax)
Dunkirk (third viewing in iMax)
Better Watch Out
Murder on Orient Express
The Disaster Artist
Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool
Stronger
The Killing Of the Sacred Deer (Second viewing)
Human Flow
Wonder
Surburbicon
Ingrid Goes West

Some really great indie films films there too.

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
I'm similar, I try to get to the cinema at least once a week and fairly often go twice a week, depending on what's showing. I've seen ca 80-90 movies in the cinema in 2017.

I have a monthly pass for a multiplex less than ten minutes walk from my apartment; for £20 a month I can see as many films as I like. I pay extra to catch stuff that's on elsewhere (arthouse fare mainly).

I only recently started subscribing to Netflix, the movie selection is poor here in the UK (compared to their tv content) but the odd gem or Netflix exclusive turns up. For example, the recent Jackie Chan film, The Foreigner, bypassed cinemas here but has just debuted on Netflix. (Worth a watch, too, if you ask me.)