Author Topic: White Zombie RR 1-sheet... what did I just buy?  (Read 11173 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: White Zombie RR 1-sheet... what did I just buy?
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 11:54:53 PM »
That's exactly my point.
Why would another print -- on colored paper -- have been produced if there was already an un-credited RR poster readily available?

As I understand it - because (likely) the one the Harry has is for a localized run not a wide release (as the other full colour '38 is) - maybe for a small town theatre or roadshow release...

And I forgot to add, while I am not an expert, I would wager it is not a '38 release but something more in line with the 60s as I said before.
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »
That's exactly my point.
Why would another print -- on colored paper -- have been produced if there was already an un-credited RR poster readily available?

I think the "readily available" part is where your assumptions might be off...

I have an non-NSS Jumbo WC for The Scarlet Empress printed by the Globe Poster Co.  If I didn't know any better, because of the modern, simple design aesthetic I would have assumed this was from maybe a college showing in 60s... or hell, maybe a Tyler Stout Alamo special from last year! :D  However, this particular poster was definitely used for the original 1934 release.  I know this fact as it has collectible stamps on the back from 1922 that were canceled in 1934. Even more telling is that snipe area at the top was reused at least twice by small theaters throughout rural West Virginia so this was probably passed along with the film. So an original release, non-NSS poster that was used and re-used... probably due to lack of paper from the NSS.

Bruce chimed in again on MOPO regarding availability of pre-1940s posters as well...

The “Other Company” and similar companies started in the early to mid 1930s because some studios were lax in creating enough posters, so theaters would get movies where they couldn't get posters for those (remember that in the mid-1930s there were theaters on every block in big cities, and even tiny towns like mine had three theaters, so most movies stayed in continuous release for two years or more!

These companies provided a valuable service, but in 1940 NSS signed with several major studios to become the primary poster distributor for them, and that put all the little companies out of business.

It is SO frustrating that NO ONE knows the actual name of "the “Other Company"! I had a brochure from them once showing their posters, but it was incomplete and missing any company information. I need to look at my trade magazines from the late 1930s, for there should be ads for them there.

Bruce

P.S. That poster is a great buy for the price you paid, but don't sink a lot of money into linenbacking it.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 10:10:30 AM »
Good points, Harry.  Nice Dietrich poster also.
I enjoy 'poster mysteries' and this WHITE ZOMBIE is one of the finest 'whodunits' in quite some time...

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 03:22:14 PM »
Harry

like Brude, I believe the poster is a 1960s or even 70s poster
Keep in mind, none of us - not even Bruce - have had the poster in hand, so we can't check the paper etc. But I don't think it is 1930s 40s or 50s. If I had believed that, I would have bid against you

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 04:29:10 PM »
I think I'm going to have to defer to Todd and Bruce on this one.  The crummy artwork - which is what was making me go later - does seem to be reinforced by the crummy artwork of poor Ms. D on the "Scarlet Empress."  

Found this on teh interwebs:

I suspect this is definitely the "inspiration" for Harry's one sheet, now whether or not it's actually from the '38R is open for debate, I'd tend to lean for it being from the '40s for it though, as the film was playing right into the second great war, and the so-called artist had access to this earlier advertising material for his basic design.

Edit:  Ya know, thinking this through a little more, I wonder if this actually could have been the poster used for these "race theater" showings (even in '38)?  It does have the same rough quality as many of the Toddy posters.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 04:44:41 PM »
Excellent research Peter. The mystery continues.

Stew

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 06:06:46 PM »
Interesting stuff Peter.  Good work...
Chris

Moviemonstermuseum

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 12:35:07 AM »
My good friend Gary Rhodes wrote an amazing book on the film White Zombie. I will email him the poster image

Dennis

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2010, 07:34:44 AM »
My good friend Gary Rhodes wrote an amazing book on the film White Zombie. I will email him the poster image

Dennis

Thanks Dennis!  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I'm glad to see more vintage collectors coming on board!

Moviemonstermuseum

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2010, 10:09:03 AM »
I got a reply from Gary Rhodes, who wrote an amazing book on the film White Zombie. His reply:

I've seen this artwork, which was repurposed for the 1952 release, but I've not seen this yellow version.  My best guess would be that it is from 52 or a little later, as it kept making its way into theatres in the 50s.

Hope that helps. Dennis

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2010, 10:17:25 AM »
Yes Dennis, this is very helpful.  I really appreciate you asking for me! 

However, it is sounding more and more like we will ever be 100% positive as to the origins...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2010, 10:19:36 AM »
Edit:  Ya know, thinking this through a little more, I wonder if this actually could have been the poster used for these "race theater" showings (even in '38)?  It does have the same rough quality as many of the Toddy posters.

--Peter

Can you tell us more about the "race theater" showings and the "Toddy" posters?  This is the first I've ever heard of them...

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2010, 10:37:03 AM »
Sure.  The ad I posted was from a "negro" newspaper.  Back in the bad old days, many theaters were segregated by race (no mixing allowed), so either separate showings were scheduled, or theaters were dedicated to particular races.  There was an entire sub-industry devoted to making and showing "colored" films, and "Toddy" was one of the distribution leaders.  Many great filmmakers (such as Michaux) and not so great filmmakers (Spenser Williams) worked within it.

Many of the Toddy posters had a distinctive (lack of) style, such as this example liberated from Heritage:

To my eye, your "WZ" posters definitely has some similarities.

--Peter
(Outdated racial terminology for reference purposes only)
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2010, 12:34:43 PM »
Yes, that artwork/production-style does look for similar.  Thanks for posting it...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 07:35:50 PM »
Well, it looks like I'm not the only one who has one of these now... one just sold on eBay for $142.  Apparently I've already doubled my investment!  ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=350428424334&si=Vrtw4D%252BZheb5jTOpsGo2WvhO4%252FM%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:1123#ht_1626wt_1139

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 09:45:12 PM »
Was watching that one, hoping to get it near where you did but alas not this time!
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 10:38:46 PM »
Question, Harry: Did you buy yours from a Canadian seller?

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 10:59:53 PM »
I was an under bidder at 140ish and my last ditch effort at 175 went in a second to late

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 11:00:06 PM »
Nope. And even though I didn't bid on this copy, I did ask the seller if they knew anything about it. I specifically asked if this was from Canada as well, but they didn't know. They were just consigning it...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 11:03:01 PM »
OK, thought maybe this cool art was produced in Canada.
Great paper.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2011, 11:05:21 PM »
Great paper.

We're cool but not THAT cool Ted ;)
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2011, 12:31:49 AM »
Great paper.

A good guess... but still inconclusive unfortunately.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2011, 04:38:56 AM »
I stayed up late to watch this one finish. I was hoping somebody on the forum bagged it.
The only thing is the seller Cp millitaria has some neg feedback regarding shipping costs.
The new owner may get a nasty shock when the invoice arrives.

Stew

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2016, 12:28:11 AM »
Anyone know anything about this?  It is a full sized, folded 1-sheet mounted on linen.  Given that the colors are printed right to the edge of the paper and the rather risque artwork, I'm guessing 70s RR?  Or maybe a locally produced poster?

Anyone?

Love the color contrast.... the green against yellow.  And it was a rather creepy flick for its time, too.

Well, it looks like I'm not the only one who has one of these now... one just sold on eBay for $142.  Apparently I've already doubled my investment!  ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=350428424334&si=Vrtw4D%252BZheb5jTOpsGo2WvhO4%252FM%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:1123#ht_1626wt_1139

Have any more of these surfaced in the last 5 years, since this last ebay auction?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:31:39 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2016, 12:41:07 AM »
Those are the only two I've ever seen.