Author Topic: The Empire Strikes Back unfolded "TEST" international onesheet - unmounted  (Read 9009 times)

Offline dsonesheets

• Hobbyist
Ok, so everyone probably knows about this one, one of the rarest posters (Star Wars or otherwise) out there.  This is definitely top ten if not top five territory.  This is the International "TEST" onesheet for The Empire Strikes Back, and features the discarded artwork that features Boba Fett, Lando, Cloud City and a small Ion Cannon.

Anyone who really knows me knows I am a Japanese collector through and through; anyone who knows about this particular poster also knows that a majority of the alleged six copies known to exist have come from Japan.  I got mine from Tokyo this October.

As far as the particulars for this poster, it does have it's issues, although they are somewhat minor.  No pinholes, tears, folds, or paper loss; BUT there is some slight foxing around the top and bottom borders, and has some wrinkling going on.  I've spoken with Dario Casadei a few times about this one, and I have been torn between just going ahead and getting it linenbacked, or just selling it and letting the next owner make that decision.  That the two or three copies Bruce has sold have been linenbacked and looked great means that this one would probably also look fantastic after it was mounted.  If I don't sell this straight out, I will probably have that done. Dario said if it was his, he would do it as well, so that's what I will do if I wind up hanging on to it for the near future.

The last three Bruce have auctioned were in 12/15, 12/16, and 3/17; and they went for $5,450, $7,750, and $8,120 respectively.  He also has one coming up I believe on the tenth.  I had thought about waiting to see what his would go for, then list mine.  Head to head he's obviously got the one in better condition.  But if these two are indeed two of the only six in the world, I really don't see mine affecting the hammer price of his at all. It's one of the rarest Star Wars onesheets out there, and on top of that the film itself is a science fiction classic, part of a trilogy that shaped the genre for decades.  Altered the course of marketing films forever.  And it was awesome! 

It's not that this won't sell, even with Bruce's auction happening this month. It's that this will be the cheaper poster of the two (meaning it will be less than the likely $8-9k Bruce will take in on his).   With a little resto and a linenbacking, this copy will be cherished by its owner for a very, very long time, and would certainly be a centerpiece of their collection.  Given that this is one of a supposed six, how can you not at least think about wanting to buy it?

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll reply ASAP.  I'll try to get some better pics up over the next few days.

I'm asking $7500 shipped and tracked, and since Paypal would charge me close to $450 for that single transaction, F that.  I would prefer to do this by Cashier's Check or direct wire transfer.  If you're Wells Fargo I can give you my account number for a fee-less transaction.  It will go out the same day I receive payment. 

**I sincerely wish you the absolutely best holiday season, and a fun, enjoyable Christmas (and it doesn't hurt that Star Wars is just a couple of weeks away)! God bless.**

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 06:44:16 AM by dsonesheets »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: The Empire Strikes Back unfolded "TEST" international onesheet - unmounted
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 01:57:56 PM »
I really like this design.  thumbsup.gif

How many known copies of this poster are known to exist?

-Jeff

Offline dsonesheets

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 02:17:51 PM »
According to the source Bruce has referenced, Steve Sansweet (the world's number one Star Wars collector), only six of these are known to exist.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 02:20:16 PM »
Thanks, Steve.

It sounds like a rare beast for sure.

And 'tis a beauty, too.

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 02:20:44 PM »
I really like this design.  thumbsup.gif

How many known copies of this poster are known to exist?

I have seen a whole lot more.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 02:21:33 PM »
How many are you thinking, Mike?

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 02:52:52 PM »
Mel MUST buy this.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 07:20:40 PM »
I stopped talking them, 20+ that I am aware of.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 08:06:04 PM »
Still on the rarish side, considering the millions of Star Wars fanatics.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline dsonesheets

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 08:43:39 PM »
Are we even talking about the same poster? This isn't the normal Gone With The Wind recalled style A that every SW collector already has. 

This is an unreleased theatrical INTERNATIONAL poster, with artwork that was destroyed after these were printed.  I am siding more with Bruce on this one, as A.) Bruce knows a lot of collectors, especially in the high end market, and I'm sure he's reached out to multiple people on this one, and B.) If these were as that plentiful as you say, the last two copies sold at auction definitely would NOT have sold for $7750 and $8120.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 08:55:34 PM »
Yes, we ALL know this poster.  I own one, others do too.  It sells for a lot because it is still hard to find.  But Bruce is wrong.  There are definitely more than 5.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 10:22:31 PM »
I got into this hobby about 20 months ago and I've seen that poster come up for auction 3 times (or once every 7 months) in Japan.   If a newbie such as myself with no special contacts or methods for finding posters has seen it so often, it makes me question the perception that it is such a rare poster.

Offline dsonesheets

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 11:21:19 AM »
I concur that a few have come up as of late in Japan, but going back to 2002, when I began collecting Japanese material, I've seen only a total of four. 

I think no matter the amount, even a print run of 20, heck let's say even 40 of ANY poster, let alone one of the great sci-fi classics of all time, is shockingly low, when compared to the thousands and tens of thousands printed now.

Offline dsonesheets

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 03:01:11 AM »
Based off the feedback in the thread, I have decided to lower the price somewhat. Given that it appears it might be more common than I originally thought, I am dropping the price to $6000, which I believe strikes a safe bargain between Bruce's realized prices and the rarity of the piece.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 11:53:37 AM »
Maybe you should just linenback it and send it to Bruce.  He'll auction if off and let the market speak.  With a little luck, you may get what you're hoping for.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 01:05:51 PM »
Cinemasterpieces has one listed for $18,995.  Not sure how long he has had it listed, but they seem to move rarer Star Wars items at a good pace. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 01:22:53 PM »
Or, as another option, sending it off to Heritage for their next Signature auction in the early spring. I'm sure it would do amazingly well there, too.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 02:58:29 PM »
Or, as another option, sending it off to Heritage for their next Signature auction in the early spring. I'm sure it would do amazingly well there, too.

I was going to say I think HA would  do well with this poster, although I do understand they would want a reserve lower than your price to start the action. They've been killing it with Star Wars titles

..... and NO! It should not be linenbacked
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 03:19:00 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 03:12:49 PM »
And my other 2¢ thought.

I, personally, would NOT have that poster backed. It looks great as it is.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 08:42:13 PM »
..... and NO! It should not be linenbacked

I agree.
You shouldn't really back a poster that doesn't actually need backing.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 07:53:50 PM »
I personally do not know how many of these are out there, but I would be a little surprised if there really were more than 5 or 6 of these. 

20+ ? I would be really surprised. They just started surfacing within the past 10 years, so where have they been? I would think they would have shown up more often if there were a lot more. Mysterious.