Author Topic: Too much information ... lost ... how to save and display poster  (Read 10265 times)

Offline xtal_01

• Beginner
Too much information ... lost ... how to save and display poster
« on: November 15, 2017, 09:50:04 PM »
For years I have put away posters I liked for future use.

Yesterday I bought one off ebay that I had wanted for some time  .... 1959 "space age".

I am guessing it is original.  I know there were copies out there but the copies I found did have the power title or copyright date in the white boarder area ... this one does.

Anyway, I want to mount and display this one.

It is not worth a lot of money  ... I only paid $35 for it .... but actually have most of the plastic models pictured in this poster and what to put up a small display in my "man cave" (ie the basement).

The poster has a lot of "wave" in it  ... not flat at all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1959-Space-Age-Educational-Poster-New-/182884646386?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=OSL%252Feu7gsbm7%252B4%252B%252BwdeX0tjZM7Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I think the poster is 24" x 37"

So I started looking at pictures, reading web sites and getting more and more confused!

I originally thought about getting one of those frames that sandwich the poster between plastic sheets.  I am afraid this will not flatten the sheet and also I was told never to let anything touch the print (I have had one stick to the glass).

I then started reading about dry mounting but also read this is "cheating" and that the backing might come apart in years to come (I want to do this once and have it last 50 years).

I started reading about linen mounting.  Some sites said this is the "standard" others said not to do it unless the poster is in very bad shape.  Also  cost seems vary widely  ... $100 to $1000

I am not even sure what the finished poster should look like.  I was originally going to frame it with a mat but then you would cut off the title and the copyright date.  I see most pictures mounted so that you can see the entire poster.

So, I am lost!

I want to preserve and display this poster in the "correct" way.  I don't mind spending $100 or so to linen mount if that is what is best  ... but then how do I mount this?

Is there someone online I should send this off to?

I live in rural Vermont USA (my brother says all Vermont is rural  ;D ).

Thanks so much ..... Mike
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:04:55 PM by erik1925 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Too much information ... lost ... how to save and display poster
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 10:18:09 PM »
First, welcome to the forum, Mike.  welcome1  Enjoy it and all the good and helpful people here.

It looks like your poster got flattened a bit while it was rolled up, creating those waves.

I wouldnt dry mount it (personally), and linen backing would be one option that would remove those waves.

You could also try the Weight & Wait™ method - pacing your poster under a piece of foamcore or plexiglass, and then applying even weight on top of it (using books, or other kinds of evenly distributed weight). In time those waves would lessen but this method might not remove those waves completely.

If this is something that means a lot to you, then backing seems a good option.

Or you could keep a lookout for another rolled copy that might pop up, and enjoy this one in the meantime.

Keep us posted.  :D

Jeff

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:21:42 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 11:01:06 PM »
And a couple restorers you could get some prices from for a simple linen backing job, if you might want to go that route:

Mario Cueva (located in So. Calif) http://www.lumiereposterrestoration.com/

Dan Miles (in Canada and also a forum member here): http://www.backingtothefuture.com/

-Jeff

Offline xtal_01

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 11:45:27 PM »
Awesome!

I know this is not a valuable poster.  I am not expecting it to go up in value.  It just holds a special place in my heart.  I remember watching Disney's Man in Space (1955) showing many of these space craft (though I watched it in the 60's).  It seemed such a different time.  Everyone seemed optimistic looking to the future.  I know things were not really that way.  There were still wars (Korea then Vietnam) and there was racial injustice but on the surface (and from the prospective of a child) everything looked great.  It wasn't till the 70's when I remember things "falling apart".

My wife says I am building a museum.  I have my old train set, slot car set, an old (non-digital) pin ball game, some old tube SW radios, a couple of crystal radios, my old record player, steam engine, u-control gas planes, ... you get the idea.

I want this to be a nice piece of art to hang up.

Thanks .... Mike

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 10:28:29 AM »
I would recommend linen backing. It does not seem to require much restoration, and the waves will disappear completely. If it is a special poster for you, it will be worth it, and it will look a million bucks, even though the monetary value is lower!

Offline xtal_01

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
Great advice .... as I said, if it were a high dollar poster, I would be a lot more worried but at $35, not what I am planning my retirement around.  I just want it to look good on the wall (not just pinned or taped up like I did in my teens).

So here is where I show my ignorance.  I have read about the process but how do you mount something that is linen backed?

Does the linen extend out from the poster?

Do you see the linen for a few inches .... in other words replacing the mat?  or do you need a mat or something to cover the linen or ???

Do I still need to be careful not to have glass or plastic touching the print?  I am surprised to see so many frames where the print is sandwiched between plastic  ... is this normal?

Sorry for so many questions ... just really don't know what I am doing and what to do my homework before I try anything.

Thanks again ..... Mike

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 01:19:32 PM »
Before sending it off to be linen-backed I would try to flatten it out myself first.  Sandwich the poster between some thick kraft paper (thicker the better) and roll it with the art facing out -- pretty tight, maybe down to 1.5"-2" diameter or tighter if you can do it safely.  Tape the roll closed and leave it a few days.  Then open it and repeat, but this time with the art facing in.  Repeat/alternate a few times over the next week or two and it should be MUCH more even in relatively short order.  If it still hasn't flattened you've lost nothing but a few days time and can always then have it linen-backed.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
Great advice .... as I said, if it were a high dollar poster, I would be a lot more worried but at $35, not what I am planning my retirement around.  I just want it to look good on the wall (not just pinned or taped up like I did in my teens).

So here is where I show my ignorance.  I have read about the process but how do you mount something that is linen backed?

Does the linen extend out from the poster?

Do you see the linen for a few inches .... in other words replacing the mat?  or do you need a mat or something to cover the linen or ???

Do I still need to be careful not to have glass or plastic touching the print?  I am surprised to see so many frames where the print is sandwiched between plastic  ... is this normal?

Sorry for so many questions ... just really don't know what I am doing and what to do my homework before I try anything.

Thanks again ..... Mike

Hey Mike,

If you were to have your poster linen backed, then there will be a "border" of linen that extends beyond the edge of the poster. Depending on who did the backing, this might be an inch or more.

Most dont suggest trimming the linen to the edge of the poster, because if the linen started to unravel under the poster that would not be good. But I would think you could also request of your linen backer to leave only a 1/4" of linen around the poster.

Framing wise, you would have to take into account that extra edge, so that the poster sat in the frame correctly and wasnt forced inside which would cause rippling or other potential damage.

We have another member here, named Robert Perry (his forum ID is USMCSS), who is the owner of Spotlight Displays. He makes frames to hold various size posters and many on the forum have bought from him, as well. He can also make custom size frames.

Here's his webiste link:  http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/

Send him a PM or check out his frame prices. He offers an outstanding product and is a really nice guy, to boot!  thumbsup.gif

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:37:50 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline xtal_01

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 06:03:37 PM »
Fantastic!

I just checked out his site .... nice!

I will send him a message.

So, does the movie poster sit against the front glass/plastic or does a mat/spacer hold it off?

If it is held off, what holds the poster? 

Thanks .... Mike

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 06:44:00 PM »
Fantastic!

I just checked out his site .... nice!

I will send him a message.

So, does the movie poster sit against the front glass/plastic or does a mat/spacer hold it off?

If it is held off, what holds the poster? 

Thanks .... Mike
The poster is sandwiched between 2 layers of plastic.  So PET-G plastic tightly pressed against both the front and back of the poster.  PET-G is the stuff they make soda bottles from and has proven to no harm the poster
-Jay-

Offline xtal_01

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 07:16:54 PM »
Exactly what I wanted to know.

I remember taking (or trying to take) a print out of a frame.

It "stuck" to the glass.

Not sure why ... moisture over the years? 

Anyway, just didn't want this to happen to me.

Thanks!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 11:40:53 PM »
I remember taking (or trying to take) a print out of a frame.

It "stuck" to the glass.

Many of us have run across that.  The glass absorbs heat and that can cause the ink to stick to the glass.  Doesn't seem to happen with either Spotlight's PET-G or with Sue's plexi.  Most of us gave up on glass years ago.  It transfers heat, has lousy UV filtering, and breaks, often damaging the poster.
-Jay-

Offline xtal_01

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 10:02:41 AM »
I am glad I found this forum ... I would have done everything wrong.

I appreciate all the info!

Like I said, not a large investment.  I really am thinking of this more a piece of art to hang up than a poster with any value as such.

I just want it to look "right" .... flat, framed nicely, protected (more because I can clean the glass when it gets dusty), ... oh ya, and not spend $500 on a $35 print.

Thanks so much again!

Mike