Author Topic: Another Emovieposter Auction - Reprint Poster Sold as Original  (Read 32243 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Another Emovieposter Auction - Reprint Poster Sold as Original
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 04:08:43 PM »
I'm sure next time they use my info it will be something similar.
Will be interesting to see if they finally update the poster as being a reprint since the archive says "and we will update it if we learn more from anyone else."

In my opinion this is the same as selling a minty white insert as an original because a collector said he saw an insert at the theater.

indeed, that is an apt comparison

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 06:36:24 AM »
Sean is 100% correct on this.
The illustration version B2 posters he pointed out are commercial reprints.  Only the B1 sizes are legitimate cinema posters.

Armin

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 02:34:13 PM »
I will be removing the record from the Auction History, and if anyone offers me the poster to auction again I will return it.

I already explained the situation to the buyer, who wanted to keep the poster.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 03:04:53 PM »
I will be removing the record from the Auction History, and if anyone offers me the poster to auction again I will return it.

While I am glad an expert you trust spoke up also, your action doesn't make any sense to me.
It' is still a real sale, why not correct the archive entry and keep it to help other collectors identify the piece in the future?
Isn't one of the main purposes to educate?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 03:21:38 PM »
While I am glad an expert you trust spoke up also, your action doesn't make any sense to me.
It' is still a real sale, why not correct the archive entry and keep it to help other collectors identify the piece in the future?
Isn't one of the main purposes to educate?

exactly. when editing a database, an item that has been sold should always be represented in the manner in which it was sold, not an updated fashion.

when a Lobby Card for It Happened One Night with Academy Award symbol  has been sold as a 1934 card, the 1934 designation should remain and an addendum added when new information comes to fore. It should not be edited to reflect another date, because that's not how it was sold

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2018, 04:47:56 PM »
I am sure that when anyone here runs a military-like operation the way Bruce does, and they find they Actually have the time to cover every single one of the 100,000 queries per week, we would then, and only then, be able to crow like Crowzilla et al.

Fact is, we have been party to a thread taking up x man hours, or minutes, during which time Bruce and gang would have sold, packed and answered queries to at least 1400 individual posters.

All interesting, to be sure.  But in the scheme of things...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2018, 06:31:44 PM »
they find they Actually have the time to cover every single one of the 100,000 queries per week,

Simes, they couldn't possibly be getting that many email or phone call inquiries each week. Mathematically it isn't possible, unless he has a staff of 40 doing replies only all week

here's some math
if each call or email took 1 minute to read/listen & reply, that would be 100,000 minutes

100,000 divided by 60 = 1666.666666 hours

I would be more inclined to believe they might get 1000-2000 queries weekly and that it still take 2 people on full staff doing such work.

seriously,  dealing with that many inquiries is a job in itself but there are no Superman here

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 05:09:47 AM »
Deary me sir.

I wasn't actually being literal.  I was just engaging in hyperbole to better illustrate my position.

But I thank you for reading and engaging.

guest4531

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 05:50:32 AM »
Hehehe, guys, really !!!

Simes was hyperboling for sure.  I agree with his first post on this thread, I found EMP hyper-reactive, all my issues (queries, wrong bid, update, payments) were all addressed within a day (if not hours) and satisfactory.  But for sure, in the long term, Bruce should see how he can modify the database to have two or more descriptions (the one used during auctions and the updated one) or have description history. 

As for Simes's numbers/fact checking, let's not forget the most important before doing any calculation, to say you are using planet Earth (and Earth days) as reference.  The remark about Superman may bring confusion to the reader thinking you are using another referent for your calculation, such as Venus days which are nearly 20 Earth days, or taking into account effect of relativity.  Note, this is derision, no need for more complex calculation  thumbsup.gif

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2018, 07:17:29 AM »
...hyperbolizing...

Sorry.  Have probably outstayed my welcome with that last.   ;)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 11:53:11 AM »
Simes was hyperboling for sure.  I agree with his first post on this thread, I found EMP hyper-reactive, all my issues (queries, wrong bid, update, payments) were all addressed within a day (if not hours) and satisfactory.  But for sure, in the long term, Bruce should see how he can modify the database to have two or more descriptions (the one used during auctions and the updated one) or have description history. 

That's what really boggles my mind, Emovie is usually very quick to react and appreciative to any corrections I send them, and I've always thought they wanted to represent things as best as possible.
So it was very puzzling when I gave them the scoop on this reprint and they chose to just note it as "conflicting information".

I can only assume that it was given to them by some high profile client that gives them lots of consignments maybe?

At any rate, I am glad that someone who EMP will actually believe about the poster also spoke up.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 12:30:27 PM »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2018, 02:15:12 PM »
Deary me sir.

I wasn't actually being literal.  I was just engaging in hyperbole to better illustrate my position.

But I thank you for reading and engaging.

sm1

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2018, 02:16:12 PM »
hey everyone.. Ben wants us to stop talking about this subject.

so stop talking about it already..

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2018, 02:33:18 PM »
so stop talking about it already..

Finally!!!

Too many so-called "experts".  I'd love to be an expert one day.  Must work harder.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2018, 02:40:44 PM »
Finally!!!

Too many so-called "experts".  I'd love to be an expert one day.  Must work harder.

T

to be an expert you must now pass the 'expert movie poster man' test. It is only available on February 29th when the moon is full and you must know Taiwanese in order to correctly answer the second half of the test. The test is administered in Broken Arrow Oklahoma, after 3pm.
Once completed, it must be mailed and postmarked by the Scandanavian post office in Copenhagen no later than March 1st at 1pm, otherwise you have to try again next time the test is available.

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2018, 02:42:29 PM »
Have any of those fine folks who call themselves "experts" passed the test?  Do you have the results at hand?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2018, 02:58:43 PM »
and do any of the experts speak Belgian?
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2018, 03:01:58 PM »
Have any of those fine folks who call themselves "experts" passed the test?  Do you have the results at hand?

T

yes.. I have mine.. It's written in the same chicken scrawl as Donny Chumps dr note from last year...

and yes they all speak Belgian, regularly

I should also mention, a secondary test was administered at the Baronet theatre in Manhattan on 1/25/1970 and everyone who aced it got a free world premiere MASH poster
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:05:12 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2018, 10:44:13 PM »
to be an expert you must now pass the 'expert movie poster man' test. It is only available on February 29th when the moon is full and you must know Taiwanese in order to correctly answer the second half of the test. The test is administered in Broken Arrow Oklahoma, after 3pm.
Once completed, it must be mailed and postmarked by the Scandanavian post office in Copenhagen no later than March 1st at 1pm, otherwise you have to try again next time the test is available.

I once heard a routine where an old school comedian gave a definition of an expert.

In order to correctly define expert, you must break it down into its component root parts.  The first part is 'X', which as we all know is the unknown in an equation. The second part is 'spurt'.  This would be caused by a small drip of a liquid that when subjected to pressure against a nozzle causes the liquid to exit.

By combining the root terms, we can conclude that an expert is defined as An Unknown Drip Under Pressure.
-Jay-

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2018, 12:17:24 AM »
I'm bailing out of this thread

guest4531

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2018, 01:14:06 AM »
and do any of the experts speak Belgian?

The experts will tell you they definitely don't speak Belgian since there isn't such language. 

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2018, 01:41:05 AM »
The experts will tell you they definitely don't speak Belgian since there isn't such language.

you aren't in on the gag....  ;)

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2018, 08:51:36 AM »
I once heard a routine where an old school comedian gave a definition of an expert.

In order to correctly define expert, you must break it down into its component root parts.  The first part is 'X', which as we all know is the unknown in an equation. The second part is 'spurt'.  This would be caused by a small drip of a liquid that when subjected to pressure against a nozzle causes the liquid to exit.

By combining the root terms, we can conclude that an expert is defined as An Unknown Drip Under Pressure.

I do like that.  Will try to remember that for a relevant chat.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2018, 09:15:07 AM »
you aren't in on the gag....  ;)

...and if we agree, we, and the internet, is an all inclusive environment, so as not to alienate any newcomers, would a brief sentence to explain encourage our brethren unto our bosom?