Author Topic: Another Emovieposter Auction - Reprint Poster Sold as Original  (Read 32246 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Another Emovieposter Auction - Reprint Poster Sold as Original
« on: November 09, 2017, 12:31:40 PM »
I emailed emovieposter about this several days ago before the auction ended and they did not update the auction and now of course it's in their archives, so I wanted to post this warning in case the buyer is a member here (or known to a member).

This Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah poster is a reprint.
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4823161

This Ohrai advance art was never produced originally in B2 size (it was only available as a B1) and the rolled B2s that are out there are from a reprint Box Set made by Family Mart in 2005.

It would not surprise me if some of the other 90s/2000s Godzilla B2s from this recent auction were also from the Family Mart set, but that would be impossible to tell from a photo.

I also informed him that this Ohrai poster he is selling as a teaser is actually a bonus for the CD Soundtrack (it is even labeled as such in Japanese at the bottom with the Toshiba/EMI catalog numbers) made by the Toho Fan Club, but that also fell on deaf ears.
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4823162

It's not my place to keep doing his employee's job for them, but it is upsetting that when I do they don't respond and don't correct the misinformation.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:06:43 PM by erik1925 »
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Another Emovieposter Auction - Reprint Poster Sold as Original
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 12:43:43 PM »
If anyone is curious, emovie has sold the actual advance style B2 before for Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/7443831.html
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »
Without wishing to denigrate another's input, I do find it surprising when messages such as this suggest input is ignored by emp.

For my insignificant part, any suggestions I have to make about things Bond are immediately reacted upon and dealt with.  I find their reaction to be immediate and responsible.

This, just as an alternative way of thinking.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:16:25 PM by Simes »

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 07:19:09 PM »
2comments.  First, you are aware that Bruce has stopped visiting this forum?  Second, Bruce is not at his desk this week and can't personally react.
-Jay-

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 08:17:05 PM »
If at me;

1. Yes
2. No

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 12:09:59 AM »
I agree Simes, found it odd that they would ignore my input/warning on the posters they were selling (and they closed for less  than $100 each, why risk reputation for a few dollars when you sell millions a year?).

And Jayn_j, are you seriously trying to suggest that Bruce doesn't visit the forum still?
First I laugh at that notion, as I frequently see him listed as one of the online visitors, and since when I posted before about an incorrectly labeled autographed item they were selling they changed it very shortly thereafter based on my post here with an update suggesting me as "the world's leading Godzilla expert" I am certain he still watches posts here whether he responds or not.

Would also think he has given Phil (or others) the authority to change/pull auctions when he is "out of the office" and it is shown they have been misidentified.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 07:37:47 AM »
I really don't want to get into the middle of this.
Agree that Bruce reads here, just doesn't post anymore.
-Jay-

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 09:19:24 AM »
I really don't want to get into the middle of this.
Agree that Bruce reads here, just doesn't post anymore.

So then why did you post and why did you post something you knew to be untrue (that Bruce has stopped visiting this forum)?
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 11:05:55 AM »
So then why did you post and why did you post something you knew to be untrue (that Bruce has stopped visiting this forum)?

I admitted my error.  Tell you what, I will go home tonight and self flagellate with cooked spaghetti and say 10000 "Hail Paramonts" to appease the gods of outrage.  I will then spend an hour asking myself why I bother to post at all to the many assh0les that hang around here.
-Jay-

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 11:07:39 AM »
I admitted my error.  Tell you what, I will go home tonight and self flagellate with cooked spaghetti and say 10000 "Hail Paramonts" to appease the gods of outrage.  I will then spend an hour asking myself why I bother to post at all to the many assh0les that hang around here.

thumbsup.gif
www.Kaijuposters.com

guest4531

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 02:11:25 AM »
Lot of rock posters on EMP...  All unfolded and very good condition... are they really original first printing?

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 05:40:45 AM »
Lot of rock posters on EMP...  All unfolded and very good condition... are they really original first printing?

Yes, and we guarantee them.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 05:44:05 AM »
Good question - a lot of them look to be commercial posters, so I would imagine they are fine.

They did sell another Godzilla poster as a theatrical re-release when in fact it was a promotional item from King Records to tie into soundtrack releases.  http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/2841750.html
It is hard to find, but this film was never re-released theatrically and it's just more misinformation from them.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 04:31:40 PM »
For what it's worth, I have far and away had the best experiences in the poster hobby dealing with Bruce and Emovie.  Every poster is accurately photographed (I have never been upset by a poster that looked dramatically different in person, which I cannot say for ANY other auction house) and the item description has always been as accurate as can be (again, a rarity).  The one time I won a poster that turned out to be a commercial reprint, Bruce contacted me YEARS later and took it back for a full refund.  He answers any poster related question I have quickly and thoroughly, and I have had many over the years.  He really is an asset to this hobby!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 04:36:14 PM »
For what it's worth, I have far and away had the best experiences in the poster hobby dealing with Bruce and Emovie.  Every poster is accurately photographed (I have never been upset by a poster that looked dramatically different in person, which I cannot say for ANY other auction house) and the item description has always been as accurate as can be (again, a rarity).  The one time I won a poster that turned out to be a commercial reprint, Bruce contacted me YEARS later and took it back for a full refund.  He answers any poster related question I have quickly and thoroughly, and I have had many over the years.  He really is an asset to this hobby!

Couldn't agree more.  I have been buying from Bruce for years, cheap, expensive, big, small, never had a problem.

Yes, just one.  I just wished they stopped using those damn packing peanuts (I HATE THEM WITH A PASSION!!!) and used bubble wrap or air bags.

Aside from that, he is #1!!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 04:56:35 PM »

Totally agree!
I think it's awesome that there is someone who has changed their business model so that now the focus is on items that sell for $20 and less, keeping everything affordable for all - over 90% of everything Bruce sells brings less than $100, he really is a great starting point for new collectors, or casual buyers just looking for something inexpensive to hang up

I understand that when you list almost 150,000 items a year, sometimes you will make a mistake, and the fact that we don't have a weekly thread on mistakes shows it isn't often - but i just wish that when someone who has demonstrated expertise in an area points out one of those mistakes (like me with Godzilla, or Tang Lung with Bruce Lee) that they would listen a little more closely.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 08:53:57 PM »

Thanks much!
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 08:54:38 PM »
Couldn't agree more.  I have been buying from Bruce for years, cheap, expensive, big, small, never had a problem.

Yes, just one.  I just wished they stopped using those damn packing peanuts (I HATE THEM WITH A PASSION!!!) and used bubble wrap or air bags.

Aside from that, he is #1!!!

T

What would you prefer in place of the peanuts? Ask and ye shall receive!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:01:22 PM by BruceH »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 10:45:20 PM »

What would you prefer in place of the peanuts? Ask and ye shall receive!

I would guess something like bubble wrap or air bags

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 11:06:43 PM »
I was going to say that, but it sounded a bit smart-ass :)
-Jay-

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 11:56:53 PM »
Haha

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 03:22:06 AM »
Update - someone pointed out to me that Emovie has updated the record of the original auction with this information:
"Finally, note than an American Godzilla expert tells us that this poster is a 2005 reprint from a Japanese box set because this art style was only printed in the B1 size for theaters. However, an advanced Japanese collector tells us that it is a theatrical poster from the first release which he personally saw displayed in theaters when the film was released. Clearly this is conflicting information, and we will update it if we learn more from anyone else."
(you can see the archived listing here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/2815352.html)

now, of course last time they noted me as "the world's leading Godzilla expert" when using my information in a correction (http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/15268918.html), but now I am just downgraded to an "American" Godzilla expert (I guess the Japanese experts are all better?).

At any rate, here is the full story of why that particular poster is not/was not available as a B2, and every other Ohrai poster in the Heisei era was.

When Godzilla 1984 came out they released Ohrai's beautiful poster artwork as a B1 poster that was available through the Godzilla Fan Club and select theaters. 
When the next Godzilla film was in production (Godzilla vs. Biollante), The Godzilla Resurrection Society (at the time the biggest Godzilla fan club in Japan and one that collected 40,000 signatures to encourage Toho to even make Godzilla 1984) complained in their fanzine that Ohrai's poster art wasn't made in the B2 size - which is the most collected size in Japan. Toho actually listened and made sure that Ohrai's artwork for Biollante was produced in B2 and B1 sizes (Emovie has sold the B2 before - http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/10732346.html).

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah was the next film to be made in the series and Toho skipped using Ohrai's art for the advance B2, and only used it for the B1 poster, instead producing a photo-style advance B2 poster (Emovie has sold this advance before - http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/2858800.html).
They did use Ohrai's art for a special B2 poster that was sold at the theaters (Emovie has also sold this - http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/5578902.html).
Toho got tons of complaints that the artwork wasn't used for the B2 poster also. So when they showed up the next month at January's Wonderfest in 1992 (kind of the Japanese equivalent of ComicCon), they had a special B2 poster using Ohrai's artwork printed up and inserted into the new Edition of the Encyclopedia of Godzilla. Even though they issued one of the Encyclopedias for every film, this was the only one to include a poster (and it was folded of course to fit in the book) and there was a big cover blurb announcing the poster - see the green circle I put around it on the attached photo.

Toho apologized and told everyone at the show that all of Ohrai's artwork in the future would also be used for the B2 format posters (and it was).  I only know this of course because I was there.  Unfortunately there weren't any cellphones so I didn't get a recording of the Toho rep saying this, and he didn't send any emails out about it.  But it has been common knowledge for many years among Godzilla fans, and even in my 1998 book I show the two different advance posters and note the Ohrai art was not available in B2 size (see photo).

Did Emovie's "advanced Japanese collector" see a poster with this artwork at the theater? Quite possibly. Most likely it was a B1 poster. It could have been the special B2 poster they produced and sold at the theater (in Japan almost every theater has a souvenir stand selling posters, programs and other movie tie-ins), it might have even been a folded B2 from the encyclopedia being used by the theater.
But it WASN'T a rolled theatrical B2 - because they didn't make any.

Emovie does great work on keeping an archive, it's very useful and it only takes a little bit of effort to get the information right.
I've done the research, use it.

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 08:29:36 AM »
but now I am just downgraded to an "American" Godzilla expert

Sorry to hear of the downgrade, I hope next week you're not "some guy who likes Japanese men dressed up in rubber outfits"

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 02:14:36 PM »
outstanding info Sean. aka The Godzilla Expert.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 05:33:28 PM »
Sorry to hear of the downgrade, I hope next week you're not "some guy who likes Japanese men dressed up in rubber outfits"

I'm sure next time they use my info it will be something similar.
Will be interesting to see if they finally update the poster as being a reprint since the archive says "and we will update it if we learn more from anyone else."

In my opinion this is the same as selling a minty white insert as an original because a collector said he saw an insert at the theater.
www.Kaijuposters.com