Author Topic: A Different Kind of Collection  (Read 14452 times)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
A Different Kind of Collection
« on: December 19, 2009, 12:46:34 AM »
So, as some of you already know, I'm shooting a movie right now. We have been using a house that belongs to a friend of mine as several of the locations in the script to shoot at. He lives in a very nice part of Dallas and has collected all kinds of stuff since the 70's. He has just about every Lego set ever made among a lot of action figures from movies over the years. He has the complete set of Planet of the Apes original figures still in their packages for example. Anyway, one of our scenes takes place in a game room that he has full of cool stuff. He has some very rare pinball machines that you can't find anymore and the ones you can find are not fully functional. He has a big thing for Star Wars so I figured you Star Wars freaks would enjoy this. He has some storm trooper helmets from the first Star Wars movie set and a very very very rare Full Size Lego set of Darth Vader. Only 3 in the world were ever made and Michael Jackson had one of the three and my friend had one. It is life size. I have a picture of myself standing next to it just so that you could see the aspect ratio of the thing. I'm 5'11 and the Lego Vader stands above me.

Anyway, here are a few pics for you guys, if I can manage to post them successfully. Let me know what you think.

Chad

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
Re: A Different Kind of Collection
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 12:55:44 AM »
Having a ton of trouble just trying to post pics. Probably due to the file size limit.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 12:57:34 AM »
one pic at a time I guess.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 01:00:19 AM »
Head portion.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 01:02:54 AM »
Logo

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 01:04:48 AM »
Set lights for a party scene in the movie. Trying not to screw up the valuable stuff all around me.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 01:05:36 AM »
Remember I'm 5'11 standing next to this thing.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 01:07:51 AM »
Here is a fun one. Can you name one other movie related to this picture besides any of the Star Wars movies? Hint: It is not a Sci-Fi Movie.

Chad

needforspeed

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 01:12:25 AM »
Cool Pinny's great Hours of fun... The Empire Stikes Back pinball is an Australian made Hankin, i think There was a Production
run of Around 300.. the company made about 10 different themed pinball's( they call them wide body's as they are wider then the normal
pinball produced in the U.S)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 01:51:42 AM »
Yes, that is correct.

Chad

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 11:57:51 AM »
Holy awesome "man cave," Batman!

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 12:08:59 PM »
Here is a fun one. Can you name one other movie related to this picture besides any of the Star Wars movies? Hint: It is not a Sci-Fi Movie.

Chad

Spaceballs.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 12:04:09 AM »
Look again Schan. You and I share this genre as a major area of collecting. I figure you have the best shot of getting the movie over most people. Maybe T might too.

Chad

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 12:25:34 AM »
Hmmmm, my other guess was The Hidden Fortress
Schan
My Poster Gallery

guest8

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 12:16:26 PM »
LOL .. I dont have a clue on the film .. But those prints are awesome ! And the Lego Vader is Insane !! :)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 09:33:25 PM »
Has Jeannie seen this, or is she already passed out?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 12:24:19 AM »
Maybe this will help Schan,

Hint: think Billy Perkins

Chad

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 12:27:58 AM »
The good, the bad and the Ugly

Cj

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 12:33:45 AM »
I have a pic of standing next to a Darth Vader Lego statue as well. When I was in New York earlier this year, they had one on display at FAO Schwartz. They also had a life size Chewy, Harry potter character scene and I think a few others.  I will have to see if I can dig them up off of my other PC.

I did find a link to someones Flikr page who has a pic of it. I did not see 3cpo, r2d2 and the Clone trooper during the time I went. Click below for the link (the flickr account does not belong to me)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmguz/2173586987

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 12:39:20 AM »
Yep, you got CJ.

Yeah those pics are pretty cool of the Star Wars characters. I've never seen a full body one of Vader until my friend showed me his.

Chad

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 07:30:21 AM »
Ahhh, I never thought of Darth Maul as ugly............the emperor, now that dude was ugly.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 10:20:58 AM »
yeah, he didn't mean to do hang them that way, it just kind of happened and I thought it was cool so I snagged a pic of it.

Chad

kauaitx

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 11:00:29 AM »
Has Jeannie seen this, or is she already passed out?

Now I have.  I was just overcome by work, but I got some sleep and can form complete sentences again.

About that Lego Vader.....  Amazing!   I can't even begin to think how it was designed or mapped out in the first place to get all those pieces together into an architecture.   Chad, do you know how many pieces Legos were required?  Who actually put it together?   Were there instructions or did some Star Wars obsessed mind conceive the design?

And is it glued together to keep from the Legos snapping off and falling apart?  Because my evil mind is wondering what would happpen if I decided to just tip this Lego piece over like a domino.....

My eyes were also diverted by all those Star Wars posters.  Are there any original props there from the movies?

Jeannie

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 02:03:45 PM »
Now I have.  I was just overcome by work, but I got some sleep and can form complete sentences again.

About that Lego Vader.....  Amazing!   I can't even begin to think how it was designed or mapped out in the first place to get all those pieces together into an architecture.   Chad, do you know how many pieces Legos were required?  Who actually put it together?   Were there instructions or did some Star Wars obsessed mind conceive the design?

And is it glued together to keep from the Legos snapping off and falling apart?  Because my evil mind is wondering what would happpen if I decided to just tip this Lego piece over like a domino.....

My eyes were also diverted by all those Star Wars posters.  Are there any original props there from the movies?

Jeannie

Hey Jeannie,

The Darth Vader is glued together. They had to do it for shipping purposes. I know there are only 3 in the world with Michael Jackson owning one of them, so now who ever gets his estate will own it. My friend owns this one which you see in the pics and I believe Lego might own the other one. There is a famous Lego artist that did it and I'm not sure of his name right off the top of my head but I can ask him again when I see him after the Holidays. My friend has a Yoda one as well, but it is not near as big or impressive as the Vader. Everything is original in that room except those canvas paintings he added for touch. The ones that he set up in order as The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

There were no instructions on putting it together since it was designed by an artist and he only made a limited amount of 3 all from scratch. If you did tip that set over it would probably break off in chunks due to the small amount of glue used to hold it together. That is why he has it in a mirrored case with the plexi front window so you can see it from all sides without having to touch it. I do not know how many Lego's were actually used, but I might be able to find out.

The Trooper Helmets in the upper right hand corner of the first picture I poster are real ones used in the movies in the 70's. All the pinball machines are original and rare.

I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did and I'm not even a Star Wars nut like a lot of people.

Chad

kauaitx

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2009, 05:34:38 PM »
Thanks, Chad.  That's fascinating inside information.  And I did indeed enjoy seeing the photos, and I'll even add that I was just a little envious of your getting access to all that.  If you find out the name of the Lego artist, let us know.  (Oh, I don't believe for one moment that you're not a Star Wars nut -- you just haven't come out of the shell yet.  Sooner or later, everyone comes out of the shell.)

I still want to tip over a Lego piece, though...

Jeannie