Author Topic: November 2017  (Read 22157 times)

guest4955

Re: November 2017
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 03:54:32 PM »
Congrats again on the pickups T, awesome as always.

Just for reference, the ESB "International" is nowhere near as rare as it is made out to be, there have been more than 20 unique copies sold in the last few years that I can think of off of the top of my head without checking my records. I stopped tracking them when they passed the 25+ known mark some time ago. These though yes limited are definitely not all proofs or test posters and had to be released to some degree in my opinion. At the same time I wish I had bought all I could get when they were cheap in the $200 range, I could almost retire now.

Where were they sold?

I'm going by EMP's 2017-03 write-up:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/6798125.html

Important Added Info: This is an ultra rare Star Wars poster, that has quite a story behind it! In 2009, a Japanese collector discovered two examples of this poster. He sent one to eMoviePoster.com to auction, where it sold for $1,827 (to the world's number one Star Wars collector, Steve Sansweet), and the other was sold privately to Kevin Doyle, one of the world's other foremost Star Wars collectors at that time. At the time we auctioned the first example, we said that it could be a "bootleg" poster, or possibly a "test" poster, and since it was discovered in Japan, it seemed quite possible it was an "international" style. In 2015, the poster that Kevin Doyle purchased privately was consigned to us (like all of his Star Wars posters, he had had it linenbacked), and this second example of the poster auctioned for $5,450. The poster features Roger Kastel's original art for this poster, but after he drew it, the studio decided it was "too busy", and they removed several of the elements from the poster (Lando, Boba Fett, Cloud City, and the ion cannon). So this poster was clearly produced BEFORE that decision was made, so how then could it be explained? After he purchased the poster from us, Steve Sansweet told us that he believes that it is absolutely an advance test poster made prior to the decision to alter the image (he knows that it is of such high quality that it surely was made from the original, and since the artwork no longer exists, it could not have been made at a later time). At the time of the second auction in 2015, we were told by one of the leading Star Wars poster dealers that he knew of the existence of a total of six of these posters that had "surfaced" since the movie was made in 1980, and that three of them had originated in Japan, but that he did not know where they currently were or even if they still exist, and we can't comment on the accuracy of that information, although we trust the dealer, since he has been a major Star Wars poster dealer for many years. A third example of this poster was consigned to us in 2016, and we auctioned it for $7,750. That made three examples of this poster that we had auctioned, two of which were linenbacked. Now, we have been consigned a fourth example, and this one is not backed (as two of the others we auctioned were). This makes the fourth time we have auctioned this exceedingly rare poster, and it is surely one of the most rare (and most desirable) Star Wars posters there is.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 04:48:15 PM »
Several ESB have sold on yahoo Japan the past few years. I would imagine of those sold, you have seen some of them appear on emovie.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 08:10:01 PM »
How do you know they're unique?  I mean, a mint rolled poster (or a mint LB poster) looks like a mint rolled poster, whether it shows up on Ebay, at Bruce's, at Grey's, or anywhere else.

T

T, I use images from buyers and sellers. Any small damage, water spot, etc. is unique like a fingerprint. Take yours for example, there is more than one copy with the foxing in the border but the exact locations of those spots is never the same unless it is an image of the same poster. A linen backed poster will always have the edges trimmed slightly different or the thread slightly off center compared to another. If I can't tell it from another by some method it does not get counted as a unique copy. This has only happened twice so far for them. Before you ask more, yes I studied forensics for a time specializing in identifying things like this, artificial aging, etc. My focus was on metal and fabrics mostly but it translates to paper items very well. That does not mean that I cannot have a copy more than once if the damage has changed over time.

Mark, the ESB quad I would put at only very slightly more common but comes to sale less often.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 08:11:34 PM »
Several ESB have sold on yahoo Japan the past few years. I would imagine of those sold, you have seen some of them appear on emovie.

Absolutely, yes.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2017, 08:24:32 PM »
Well, you know I've never been a huge fan of posting my new acquisitions.  I didn't do it for years.  I do it now, about once a month, because I was asked by people who were too lazy to visit my website.  Also, to me, it's all about the chase.  Once I get a poster, it immediately loses its shine and I turn to the next best thing.  So it's not so much that I'm underplaying, but more like I was so much more excited about the item a week or two before I actually post it on the forum.  Plus, I collect what I like and I know a lot of people couldn't care less about it, so no need to make a lot of noise.

And in the case of Star Wars, there are so many other posters I want to acquire that my collection is nowhere near what I want it to be.

T

So long as you keep posting to your Boris Grinsson thread...

guest4955

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2017, 09:44:19 AM »
Reacquired rarish int 1S:

Watch out when searching for this:

http://moviepostercollectors.guide/MPC_Authentication_LA_Confidential.html

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »
Be interesting to see if the Kevin Spacey debacle effects the price on the Canadian style.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2017, 03:32:58 AM »
Was thinking the same myself, who would buy one now...

It's not a poster I like, or would buy anyway... never saw the attraction of it.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »
Sean Phillips artist. Janus rerelease.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 04:43:12 PM »
Be interesting to see if the Kevin Spacey debacle effects the price on the Canadian style.

...'A'ffects the price on...

Sorry!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 09:38:03 PM »
Really like that Night of the Living Dead, Dale!
Sean Phillips is a terrific artist.

http://seanphillips.co.uk/

Congrats!!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2017, 01:37:38 AM »

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:40:54 AM by CSM »
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2017, 01:43:23 AM »

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2017, 01:44:56 AM »

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2017, 01:46:38 AM »

Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2017, 03:59:20 AM »
Nice run Chris..
It's more than a Hobby...

guest4955

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2017, 06:31:22 AM »

Congrats, baditude aplenty....

PS Showing up on Mac Chrome but not Mac Safari/iPad Safari.

Blood red smoke for me, pretty good movie to boot:

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2017, 12:49:40 PM »
Another nice, noir inspired haul there, Chris.

Congrats on the adds and the pickups.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:09:59 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2017, 01:11:05 PM »
This one I'm particularly liking.

Richardson Studio certainly had the artists and the production quality back in the day: clap clap

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2017, 01:58:25 PM »
Congrats again on the pickups T, awesome as always.

Just for reference, the ESB "International" is nowhere near as rare as it is made out to be, there have been more than 20 unique copies sold in the last few years that I can think of off of the top of my head without checking my records. I stopped tracking them when they passed the 25+ known mark some time ago. These though yes limited are definitely not all proofs or test posters and had to be released to some degree in my opinion. At the same time I wish I had bought all I could get when they were cheap in the $200 range, I could almost retire now.

You know your stuff.  Have you ever thought about writing a SW book?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2017, 03:13:23 PM »
I always ask Mike what he thinks before I buy a new Star Wars poster.  His knowledge is clearly more than mine.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2017, 03:31:47 PM »

Richardson Studio certainly had the artists and the production quality back in the day: clap clap

Her nose disturbs me

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2017, 04:28:14 PM »

yeah that was before they farmed the art out to these folks

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2017, 04:36:58 PM »
Mel, what does '9/10 rarity' mean?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2017, 05:09:31 PM »
Mel, what does '9/10 rarity' mean?

It means Mel doesn't see it in 9 out of 10 days of poster searching.

It's a bit like being 9/10 an Elite Poster Collector. One might have a pretty good collection of posters, but be just missing the superiority