Author Topic: Your best buys  (Read 7099 times)

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
Your best buys
« on: October 14, 2017, 12:34:00 PM »
Come across posters where you usually wouldn't? Snagged yourself something rare when people weren't looking? Grabbed yourself a bargain you had no business with?

Not necessarily your favourites, but what are your best purchases? Share your stories

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Your best buys
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 01:58:04 PM »
I’ve been racking my brains trying to figure out what my best buys have been, but I can’t come up with anything.  Mostly because since I don’t sell, it’s hard to know what a given poster would sell for vs what I paid for it.  I know that a lot of my 80s posters were great buys.  I bought them 10 years ago before the 80s became the decade of choice.  I see what some of them sell for at Emovieposter and I’m always like: Wtf is wrong with all these people :)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 03:13:54 PM »
Buying Mondo prints in the early years in a relaxed timescale and at cost.

Mark

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 05:38:56 PM »
I’ve been racking my brains trying to figure out what my best buys have been, but I can’t come up with anything.  Mostly because since I don’t sell, it’s hard to know what a given poster would sell for vs what I paid for it.  I know that a lot of my 80s posters were great buys.  I bought them 10 years ago before the 80s became the decade of choice.  I see what some of them sell for at Emovieposter and I’m always like: Wtf is wrong with all these people :)

T

I sold you a mint/rolled Chantrell style Star Wars Aussie 1-sheet for a $100 some years back -- that should count!

It came out of one my best finds -- a group of ~25 mostly rolled, mostly mint Star Wars posters that I won for the opening bid of $50: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,224.msg52086.html#msg52086

In it were the above SW Aussie 1-sheet, rolled ESB Aussie 1-sheet, rolled GWTW ESB 1-sheet, rolled circus style SW 1-sheet, rolled style B ESB, rolled ROTJ styles A and B, and on and on.  Definitely one of my better finds.  And I shouldn't have sold that Aussie SW without more research first -- been looking for one to replace it since!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 05:43:10 PM »
I sold you a mint/rolled Chantrell style Star Wars Aussie 1-sheet for a $100 some years back -- that should count!

I don't think its worth much more than that, so no, it doesn't count.  Getting 5 rolled mint Revenge of the Jedi posters for free, yeah, maybe ;)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 05:50:08 PM »
And I agree with Mark...

All of these, and many more, bought for less than $50...  Now that's pretty good, right?  Yeah, these are my best purchases.

T
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 06:14:18 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

guest4955

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 03:52:31 AM »
No question the Mondos have been the "best buys" in my day (size 2009). The original MP market has been relatively stable comparatively.

I got Ansin's POTO for $150 and resold it 6 pos. later for $600. But it shortly thereafter zoomed to $2000.  >:( :(

When I had to unload my Round 1 collection on EMP in 2015, I made a lot of money on a FEW posters I had found on eBay cheap. Mostly broke even.

But I made roughly $1800 on LAC, $1000 on IMAW, and $1000 on the YOLTs combined. The rest of my best buys I only made $100-$300, ex. Animal House.

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 09:17:10 AM »
Hmmm this is pretty difficult.

One of my best buys was at a small online auction down in the south of the UK. They only had about 15 movie lots and I bid on a Thing quad which I lost out on. However, I left a ridiculously small commission bid on something advertised as a Rambo 2 quad with 3 other posters.

Well the three others was a Rambo first blood 60x40, a Rambo 2 60x40 and a Big Trouble in Little China 60x40.

I couldn't believe my luck!
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 08:00:37 PM »
I bought a Nightmare on Elm Street quad (folded) for $150. I feel pretty good about that one. 
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 05:04:27 AM »
i bought a speculative Breakfast a Tiffanys premiere invite ticket for £10, sold it for over £1000. Happy days
Or my Star Wars Pre Oscars Quad for £80, which i doubt i will ever sell!

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 02:36:47 PM »
I won a set of four Buster Keaton Swedish posters from a general auction for around $100. I originally thought I was bidding on just the one. All were in pretty rough condition and because older Swedish posters become brittle I didn't want to hold on to them.
I consigned one to EMP, sold two to private collectors and partially traded the last with a local dealer.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 06:34:06 PM »
I won a set of four Buster Keaton Swedish posters from a general auction for around $100. I originally thought I was bidding on just the one. All were in pretty rough condition and because older Swedish posters become brittle I didn't want to hold on to them.
I consigned one to EMP, sold two to private collectors and partially traded the last with a local dealer.

These sounds fantastic, ladeda.

Do you have pictures of these posters, by any chance?  prayer.gif

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 07:34:31 PM »
A similar thread also exists here, describing other members' examples, too. Good stuff!  :)

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,5608.0.html
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:52:13 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 01:32:43 PM »
A couple years ago, I was excited and lucky enough to be able to pick up both the US advance (NSS) and studio style US OS for Escape From New York (1981), for $10.00 a piece.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 04:08:04 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 07:08:36 PM »
How many is "a couple" Jeff?! Great pick up! I love the posters and the movie. Sold mine a year or two ago. I miss it.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 09:22:37 PM »
No more than 2-2.5 yrs ago, Conor.

-Jeff

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 12:36:49 PM »
These sounds fantastic, ladeda.

Do you have pictures of these posters, by any chance?  prayer.gif

I don't have photos anymore I'm afraid.

A sort of best buy by proxy: I was with a friend when he picked up Barbarella Style B one sheet for under £100 at a retro market. Gutted I didn't jump at it myself Doh.gif