Author Topic: Emovieposter - Typed 57 USD instead of 7 USD - End up with poster I don't want  (Read 4004 times)

guest4531

Hi

I won a poster I don't really need, I just realised I typed 57 usd as bid instead of 7, call it multitasking failure.
What to do ??

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
I thought there was a screen to confirm your bid amount?

Ok, what to do...
- first, take a deep breath
- second, accept the situation with a good old palm slap  hitself
- thirdly, throw out the stupid keyboard that caused all this problem
- fourthly, know APF'rs are here to give our sympathies

guest4531

There is indeed, a Javascript prompt asking to confirm so yeah I totally f*cked it. 

Already did points 1 and 2...
Point 3  - I will be difficult as it is a laptop, I will therefore blame substances which have a physiological effect.
Point 4  -  Well, may be the other person who bid on poster is here and really want it since it was a never auctioned before poster....  it was German poster of Barabbas (1961), first release.  Got it for 25 usd.
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/3181914.html

Enjoy the  weekend !

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
I would tell Bruce it was a mistake and ask him to re-auction it for you. That way you won't get stuck with shipping charges on top of things. And who knows... maybe he'll waive the consignment fee if you ask nicely.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
We don't have "bid retraction" because sites with it are shill bidders' paradises. Make a "mistake", retract it, later have a friend bid just under the high bidder's maximum.

We recognize that people make mistakes, so we look at the bid history, confirm what they said is what occurred (I have had people make five bids, and then claim the last one was an "accident"), and then we cancel the auction, and we re-auction the item. A real hassle for the consignor, because they don't get paid for a couple more months, and of course the item can go lower the next time, and of course we have to do twice the work.

We note the account of the person who did it, and if they make another such mistake, we tell them they have to bid elsewhere (and the person can't simply open a new account, as is true just about everywhere else). We want everyone to know they are always bidding against real bidders who 100% of the time honor their bids, and this policy goes a long way towards making that happen.

E-mail us the details and we will get it cancelled ASAP, and removed from your account. And please be careful in the future.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
We don't have "bid retraction" because sites with it are shill bidders' paradises. Make a "mistake", retract it, later have a friend bid just under the high bidder's maximum.

We recognize that people make mistakes, so we look at the bid history, confirm what they said is what occurred (I have had people make five bids, and then claim the last one was an "accident"), and then we cancel the auction, and we re-auction the item. A real hassle for the consignor, because they don't get paid for a couple more months, and of course the item can go lower the next time, and of course we have to do twice the work.

We note the account of the person who did it, and if they make another such mistake, we tell them they have to bid elsewhere (and the person can't simply open a new account, as is true just about everywhere else). We want everyone to know they are always bidding against real bidders who 100% of the time honor their bids, and this policy goes a long way towards making that happen.

E-mail us the details and we will get it cancelled ASAP, and removed from your account. And please be careful in the future.

thumbsup.gif

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
It happened to me before.  I don't know if Bruce remembers, it was a few years ago, but because I usually bid from my phone, I think I put something like $10,000 when I meant $100 crying.  The item ended up selling for $500 something.  I really didn't want it at that price.  I emailed Bruce and he did exactly what he just did with you thumbsup.gif.

T
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:02:46 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
I think most of us have done something similar at some point.  I was working off a prepared list and ended up entering a bid intended for a different item.  So I bought something for triple my intended bid.  Like most, I sucked it up and put it in my collection.  The thing is, that item has risen in value recently, making my bid now reasonable.

Not as bad as something I did a number of years ago.  I was at a live auction and waiting for some friends to show.  I saw them enter and started waving to got their attention.  End result was that I ended up 'winning' a really bad car cassette deck.  Moral is to keep your paddle in your pocket.
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
The worst for me was in March at the last HA sig auction.  I was skiing and bidding, hunting for the slightest internet connection.  A friend of mine was intrigued and asked what I was doing.  I showed it to her and accidentally pressed the "bid" button.  I bid $75,000 on a Casablanca poster.  I don't know how long it takes for the "fair warning" to pop up and the countdown to begin, but at least 10 seconds.  My wife was so pissed.  I could see her thinking "If you spend that much on a poster, I'll do the same on jewelry!!!" (a constant argument between us).  Then at 1 second left, someone overbid me.  The item eventually sold for $120,000, if I remember correctly.

T
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 04:02:00 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic

clap clap

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
The worst for me was in March at the last HA sig auction.  I was skiing and bidding, hunting for the slightest internet connection.  A friend of mine was intrigued and asked what I was doing.  I showed it to her and accidentally pressed the "bid" button.  I bid $75,000 on a Casablanca poster.  I don't know how long it takes for the "fair warning" to pop up and the countdown to begin, but at least 10 seconds.  My wife was so pissed.  I could see her thinking "If you spend that much on a poster, I'll do the same on jewelry!!!" (a constant argument between us).  Then at 1 second left, someone overbid me.  The item eventually sold for $120,000, if I remember correctly.

T

Gulp!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Moral of the story: don’t drink and bid...?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,